The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames, 7PM PST (10PM EST) Saturday April 8, 2023, Rogers Arena ... Tame the Flame Game

Rate this topic

Rocket-68

Will The Canucks Make the Playoffs Next Year?  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I wish there was a way to see the percentage of top 10 picks becoming busts, regular NHLers and stars. When we went through the Virtanen and Juolevi busts it didn't look good but then Petey and Hughes made up for them, but I wonder what the average is for a top 10 pick? 

You can view all the previous draft picks and their current stats by going to NHL hockey draft db. Pick the year you want to view and see the results to date for those players of that draft year.  EG; https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html. You will note that from that year (2012) Griffen Reinhart, Nail Yakupov, Derrick Pouliot and Slater Koekkoek could all be considered busts.

Edited by Kootenay Gold

13 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Lol ... I'm not pretending anything ... I've actually got a background in psychology and sociology. You can believe it or not. It's cool. Also, I used to admin a much bigger forum than this. There's a certain recurring behavioral pattern that's similar with positive and negative posters here. I've just seen it all before. So, no, I don't believe a lot of it. Doesn't mean it's not true to those posters. ;)

But ... I do believe most of us want the same thing ... a winning team ... competent management ... and ultimately a Cup. I see a lot of positivity in this new regime.

And we need to be able to beat Calgary tomorrow, thwart their playoff hopes, but also sacrifice the short term for the long term ... so a loss is all good.

It's kind of like sacrificing being an overt tanker on here for appearing to be a Kool Aid drinker. ;)

Oh No GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

To be fair the kid had serious chronic migraine issues. If not for that, he would be a heck of an nhler player right now. 

That's the thing, it's not always a for sure thing. So many things can alter the development and advancement. Injury, health, family issues can put a twist on development. Since we are out of the playoff race I agree the higher the pick the better. But you just can't predict the outcome of a players development. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

You can view all the previous draft picks and their current stats by going to NHL hockey draft db. Pick the year you want to view and see the results to date for those players of that draft year.  EG; https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html. You will note that from that year (2012) Griffen Reinhart, Nail Yakupov, Derrick Pouliot and Slater Koekkoek could all be considered busts.

That was a particularly bad one. Looking back I think the Canucks have been pretty average when it comes to picks/busts. Looking back at the 2015 studded draft, pretty much all of the top 10 are stars, and then even the late first round picks are studs. Boston had those 3 picks I remember and they went off the board and picked 3 dunces. 1 is an AHLer now, one is a part time fringe NHLer and the other is DeBrusk, I'd just say a full time NHLer. Picked right after this dud trio was Kyle Connor, Chabot and Barzal. Yikes.

Of course draft dependent but I think the chance of drafting a star in the top 10 is 50%, then a 35% chance you get a solid NHLer and then a 15% chance you get a bust who barely cracks the NHL. There's just about 1-2 busts each year depending on the depth.

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Garland forechecks hard but i dont see him winning many battles. 

The line needs a Burrows 

Garland wins the puck battles more often then not.  

I think that people have selective memory when it comes to Garly because of how small he is. 

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

I was born in Maple Ridge and was raised a die hard Canucks fan. 
In high school, we moved to a small mountain town on the bc/ab border.  
Everyone cheered for the flames.  
It was awful being surrounded by them.  
I moved back to the coast when I was 19 and for the last 18 years, every time the flames beat the Canucks, I have a group of friends who wait until midnight to start blowing up my phone with calls to trash talk me and the Canucks. 

I grew to truly hate the Flames, the city of Calgary, and everyone in it. 

If Calgarian was a race, I’d be wearing a white cloak and hood. 
I can’t stand them.  

So tonight, after a month of team tank, I’m rooting so hard for a win tonight. 

If the Canucks could kill the Flames playoff chances tonight, it will make this entire crap season a success for me.  

Go Canucks Go!

Suck it Calgary!

I'm also putting Team Tank on pause and cheering for a win. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Exactly! Canucks will be lucky to hand onto #8. Many fans discount the importance of draft position and trot examples of where it did not. For e the bottom line is putting Patrick Allvin in the best possible position come draft day. I trust his judgement over most posters. What should excite Canuck fans is the strength of the existing core. Last game the TOI was very balanced. I wish Tochett had done more of that starting 2 weeks ago. 

Your very right DeNiro this tank is a one off. How could anyone look at the progress made by management this year and think negatively for next year. Tank on! A lottery blow out and Canucks get Bedard!

If the projected 1st and 4th lines remains for the entire game, I would call that a super tanking effort.;)

16 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

If the projected 1st and 4th lines remains for the entire game, I would call that a super tanking effort.;)

I'm waiting for the morning skate to see...

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'm waiting for the morning skate to see...

Yeah, me too.  Putting those lines out seems ludicrous.  Winning this game is a big deal for the fan; especially

on 'Fan Appreciation Day'.  We also want to see Pete get over the 100 pt mark.