The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 Canucks end of season media availability

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, BPA said:

FA didn’t want to buyout LE.  What makes you think he’ll want to buyout OEL???

I agree. I want OEL to be bought out and for Myers to be traded after his bonus is paid. I accept our owner won’t allow either. 

53 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

MG did great when he took over the team and made a couple good moves.But like the owners he signed players to long.A couple trades could have helped yet they didn't happen.His group didn't have a clue how to draft.

MG did great with scouting? Wut?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Likely this is what happens. OEL is paid over 10 million next season. That will leave our owner with a 10 million dollar buyout summer 2024. Saves him 10 mil. Even with Myers, I don’t see our owner paying the 5 mil bonus and then signing off on a trade. He’s a good owner (mostly) but that’s 15 million dollars he can save. 
So I see our D as this to start next season:

Hughes, Bear

OEL, Hronek

Wolanin, Myers

Burroughs

Id prefer we don’t have OEL and Myers but accept that is likely not to be the case. It’s too much money out the door for our owner. 
TDL 2024 we will move Myers.

Summer 2024 we will buyout OEL. 

I just don't think Bear is a top 4 d-man Alf. What would any combination of Boeser, Garland, Bear and Meyers bring back? A top 4 d-man. A UFA RD signing?  Canuck top 4 are pretty small. Even Hronek at 190 isn't super big. I think there has to be more size in that group. Johansson is 180 pounds. Almost a situation that they have to keep Meyers and hope that Woo comes strong. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I just don't think Bear is a top 4 d-man Alf. What would any combination of Boeser, Garland, Bear and Meyers bring back? A top 4 d-man. A UFA RD signing?  Canuck top 4 are pretty small. Even Hronek at 190 isn't super big. I think there has to be more size in that group. Johansson is 180 pounds. Almost a situation that they have to keep Meyers and hope that Woo comes strong. 

I forgot about Woo. Would be great if he pushes Myers out. Or is able to partner with Hughes. 

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If OEL can play well enough to match up against the other teams’ top guys (with Hronek carrying him, of course) then that would free up Hughes to dominate even more. 

OEL has been playing against the other teams top pairs in his tenure here and has been carrying Myers.  

He won't need Hronek to carry him if he's healthy. 

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

OEL has been playing against the other teams top pairs in his tenure here and has been carrying Myers.  

He won't need Hronek to carry him if he's healthy. 

Nope. OEL is slow like molasses. He needs his partner to carry him. Hronek would be better paired with Hirose. But OEL’s contract will pretty much give him that spot. 

• RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, BPA said:

FA didn’t want to buyout LE.  What makes you think he’ll want to buyout OEL???

He won't allow any GM to cripple the franchise with long-term cap after seeing the devastation caused by Gillis and Benning.  Ideally, he'll fire anyone stupid enough to even suggest a buyout; you can't allow anyone like that anywhere near your hockey ops.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Nope. OEL is slow like molasses. He needs his partner to carry him. Hronek would be better paired with Hirose. But OEL’s contract will pretty much give him that spot. 

OEL broke his foot at Worlds last year, he should have a very lengthy amount of time to heal. I don't believe he's washed up just yet. On a side, rumors are Petey is going to Worlds. Fingers crossed nothing happens to him there.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

OEL broke his foot at Worlds last year, he should have a very lengthy amount of time to heal. I don't believe he's washed up just yet. On a side, rumors are Petey is going to Worlds. Fingers crossed nothing happens to him there.

Report: Canucks star Elias Pettersson agrees to represent Sweden at World Championship (msn.com)

Yes, it's been confirmed, he is going. Definitely a good thing, while at the same time a very worrisome thing too...

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

As expected, we're starting to get honest assessments of BB's complete lack of a system from the players, themselves.  Anyone with a set of eyes and any decent level of higher level of hockey knows that it came down hardest on the dcorp and goalies because they are the last line of defense and will, naturally, look bad when things break down

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Likely this is what happens. OEL is paid over 10 million next season. That will leave our owner with a 10 million dollar buyout summer 2024. Saves him 10 mil. Even with Myers, I don’t see our owner paying the 5 mil bonus and then signing off on a trade. He’s a good owner (mostly) but that’s 15 million dollars he can save. 
So I see our D as this to start next season:

Hughes, Bear

OEL, Hronek

Wolanin, Myers

Burroughs

Id prefer we don’t have OEL and Myers but accept that is likely not to be the case. It’s too much money out the door for our owner. 
TDL 2024 we will move Myers.

Summer 2024 we will buyout OEL. 

That D has to be corrected before next season starts, coz if we have to move forward with that group (again)....oof 

I like those guys too, but feelsy-goodsies aside, to even be in the conversation of contending, we're going to have to ice a more quality D corp. than what is present.

I'd like to see Hirose in there to start the season too...

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

As expected, we're starting to get honest assessments of BB's complete lack of a system from the players, themselves.  Anyone with a set of eyes and any decent level of higher level of hockey knows that it came down hardest on the dcorp and goalies because they are the last line of defense and will, naturally, look bad when things break down

The more I think about how bad this team was defensively, the more sympathy I have for Myers. This guy had to stand behind any mixture of three forwards that were absolute spectators defensively. Which we know was the case from Tocchet himself.

Which again, how do you blame Boudreau for this team's defense? He wasn't the defensive guy as far as I know, and people around here say the NHL isn't a development league, so should we really be expecting him to break out the cones and teach these grown men how to play defence at a basic level? I dunno. I think it's great that Tocchet is going full 3rd grade teacher on the team though. If they were half as bad as he claimed with his back to basics comment. I now feel even worse for Boudreau.

It's crazy to hear so many people torch Boudreau when Tocchet roasts the team as unable to even defend at a basic level and management says the team needs, I forget. Major surgery or whatever? Like, if the team was that bad that both management and the current coaching staff are saying, maybe our expectations of what Boudreau should have done are a tad unrealistic. Especially given like I said, management had no faith and were clearly waiting to move on from him. How much power did he actually have?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

That was just explained and confirmed in this end of the season press conference though.  

His mobility was impaired by him breaking his foot in the summer of 2022.  That's why he had a tough year and to be honest what he didn't say is that everybody else sucked this year too, including the goalies.  

Tough for a defenseman to look good when your goalie is giving up goals from everywhere on the ice. 

21 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Report: Canucks star Elias Pettersson agrees to represent Sweden at World Championship (msn.com)

Yes, it's been confirmed, he is going. Definitely a good thing, while at the same time a very worrisome thing too...

Worrisome? Nahh, maybe for the other teams. Petey's gonna tear it up in front of the hockey world. 

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yeah, that's the biggest takeaway from the end of the season availability.  

I feel like everyone that complained about JR and Allvin complaining about structure, needs to eat some humble pie now, myself included.  

I was in favour of keeping Boudreau over the summer, but it was the biggest mistake of the season in hindsight.  

On 4/15/2023 at 2:50 PM, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

The media in this city is absolute garbage. 

Toxic and scummy a lot of them

And yet they persist, because people read, watch and listen to them. And what is toxic and scummy about asking athletes questions that fans would ask if they had the chance? Now I am not a media apologist, and I have noticed two distinct types of sports media member in Vancouver; the first are the folks who try to give a honest story, the second are those who are far more interested in being a media personality than a working reporter. There are very few in the first group, while the second group is sort of like a shark tank, where the motto is "Eat, or be eaten." Those ones I find easy to ignore.

7 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah, that's the biggest takeaway from the end of the season availability.  

I feel like everyone that complained about JR and Allvin complaining about structure, needs to eat some humble pie now, myself included.  

I was in favour of keeping Boudreau over the summer, but it was the biggest mistake of the season in hindsight.  

Agreed. But I for one loved what Bruce did for our club the previous season and thought hr was a super good person. It’s bad how it ended here.  JR tried an apology but it wasn’t very good. I accept  NHL hockey is about winning and want us to be a winner, but the way we handled Bruce at the end wasn’t good. I also understand we need people, like JR/Allvin (who might not be so nice) running things. I think Gillis seemed an arrogant sh*t. And Benning seemed like a nice guy. The new guys seem more like Gillis. But if we’re going to build a winner we might need guys like that doing that GM work. Don’t have to like them though. I liked Benning. But he was just too nice. 

2 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

And yet they persist, because people read, watch and listen to them. And what is toxic and scummy about asking athletes questions that fans would ask if they had the chance? Now I am not a media apologist, and I have noticed two distinct types of sports media member in Vancouver; the first are the folks who try to give a honest story, the second are those who are far more interested in being a media personality than a working reporter. There are very few in the first group, while the second group is sort of like a shark tank, where the motto is "Eat, or be eaten." Those ones I find easy to ignore.

I think these types of negative reporters can be successful here because hockey is king. In Canada that works because we love our home clubs and follow them religiously. I’m thinking that type of reporting (if there is any reporting) doesn’t fly in most US markets. Their few hockey fans just don’t have enough passion to care. I’d think with football then they’d have the nasty reporters. 

• Like 1

Given OELs reveal about being hampered by a broken foot, and the general chaos of d zone play under boudreau, and being paired with Myers Im willing to give OEL a chance.   If he comes to camp in great shape/ready Id like to see how he looks under Tocchett/Foote/Gonchar.  

Im also might flip flop on Boeser.  Im intrigued whether Tocchett can push him to become a more dynamic all around player. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The more I think about how bad this team was defensively, the more sympathy I have for Myers. This guy had to stand behind any mixture of three forwards that were absolute spectators defensively. Which we know was the case from Tocchet himself.

Which again, how do you blame Boudreau for this team's defense? He wasn't the defensive guy as far as I know, and people around here say the NHL isn't a development league, so should we really be expecting him to break out the cones and teach these grown men how to play defence at a basic level? I dunno. I think it's great that Tocchet is going full 3rd grade teacher on the team though. If they were half as bad as he claimed with his back to basics comment. I now feel even worse for Boudreau.

It's crazy to hear so many people torch Boudreau when Tocchet roasts the team as unable to even defend at a basic level and management says the team needs, I forget. Major surgery or whatever? Like, if the team was that bad that both management and the current coaching staff are saying, maybe our expectations of what Boudreau should have done are a tad unrealistic. Especially given like I said, management had no faith and were clearly waiting to move on from him. How much power did he actually have?

Because he's the head coach.  He charts the course for the team and is responsible for the style of play, as well as making sure the assistant coaches implement his systems.