The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Hughes’ partner 2023/24

Rate this topic

Ted Lasso

[Poll] Hughes’ partner 2023/24  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, Pears said:

Damon Severson. 

Hughes - Severson

OEL - Hronek

Rathbone - Bear

Brisebois, Burroughs

A full season of Hronek, Severson and a healthy OEL is a mammoth upgrade on what we had last year. 

I don't think both Rathbone and Bear will be on the roster in the fall. Possibly neither. Need more bulk in the 3rd pairing.

• Cheers 1

Voted Tryamkin, but I like the idea of Tanev for either Boeser or Garland as part of it too.  Frees up some cap and then Tanev can start with Hughes while ensuring we have depth for when he is injured.

Hughes Tanev

OEL Hronek

Tryamkin Bear

Hirose Juulson

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ralph. said:

I hadn't heard of Kaedan Korczak before, could be something there. Doubt the Knights are interested in letting him go though. For this, I voted Peeke.

He’s seemingly buried in their depth. They have Pietrangelo, Theodore, Whitecloud and Mayo all signed for another 2-4 years, plus Miromanov as another RD prospect in the minors.

Wonder if they’d be interested in a trade for Höglander, who was picked one spot ahead of KK?

We have many priorities this off-season but to be honest, I wonder if Hughes' partner has slipped down the list. Hronek may play with him at times during the year, but our D would be a lot better if we focussed on getting a shutdown LD to play with Hronek. Then Hughes can run wild, play a bit looser and move up the ice a bit more and play less, heavy minutes. If that's the case, he could pair with anyone and do a good job. If we can't shift Myers, he could even play with TM or Bear again, on almost a 2nd pairing

LD - Hronek

Hughes - Myers

OEL - Burroughs

I wouldn't be overly mad with that, but that LD needs to be a solid defensive unit who can eat a good 20-22 minutes a night, mostly on the PK. Graves or Gavrikov, take your pick Allvin.

It'd be much harder to go out and find a decent young shutdown RD.

• Cheers 1

If Peeke is actually on the table, that would be great. Otherwise Mayfield would make a nice stop-gap. 

Hughes seems to play best when he has a partner that plays a simple and predictable game. It gives him the ability to pinch when he wants without worrying about whether his partner is already pinching (something we've seen cause some turnovers in the past) among other things. Obviously Hughes is a great player and can probably figure out how to play with most partners, but I think it would be good to find a partner that makes it easier for him to play.

• Thanks 1