The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Moving the 11th pick and other small moves

So it seems there’s “insider” chatter that the canucks would use their pick as trade bait.

I would not be surprised to see calgary go into desperation mode to start making changes. They have a lot of attractive pieces for teams in all stages. I think the canucks could pry their best dman

To Calgary

11th, Beauvillier (4.3 million)

To Vancouver

Andersson, 2023 second (4.5 million)

I would prefer Garland in over Beauvillier but its a bargaining chip for Calgary to have an opportunity next off season to clear cap next off season or even a player they can inflate and trade at the deadline

Calgary does this after a very disappointing season with an aging forward group looking to get prospects coming up as fast as possible 

Vancouver does this to solidify the d and have one of the better transitional d corps in the league

Hughes - Andersson

OEL - Hronek

Deal would be made on draft day if the player canucks want isnt there but the player the flames want is

• Cheers 1

this trade won't happen, especially not Calgary adding a 2nd for a pending UFA. The D man we could have selected...oh going down memory lane is so much fun seeing all the what ifs the Canucks could of had if we had kept some draft picks or made the better player selection with said draft picks.

We are in the boring off season stage, good thing summer is here so people can enjoy some fresh air and activity instead of worring about the next Canucks move to then be disappointed with...

14 minutes ago, Neutral said:

this trade won't happen, especially not Calgary adding a 2nd for a pending UFA. The D man we could have selected...oh going down memory lane is so much fun seeing all the what ifs the Canucks could of had if we had kept some draft picks or made the better player selection with said draft picks.

We are in the boring off season stage, good thing summer is here so people can enjoy some fresh air and activity instead of worring about the next Canucks move to then be disappointed with...

Would be awesome to have picked him up over baertschi

My prediction for Calgary is that they'll start trying to re-sign a lot of their 7 pending UFAs (they have one year left on their deal).  

Craig Conroy mentioned Lindholm as their number 1 target, but I can't see Hanifin too far behind.  I don't think that they have any interest in trading away Andersson.  They have a lot of older d-men and Andersson is one of their younger d-men that's proven and signed long term.  

I'd rather not do any deals with Calgary and let them gradually get older and sink to mediocrity.  They have years of pain coming up after their window closes shut in two years. 

8 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

My prediction for Calgary is that they'll start trying to re-sign a lot of their 7 pending UFAs (they have one year left on their deal).  

Craig Conroy mentioned Lindholm as their number 1 target, but I can't see Hanifin too far behind.  I don't think that they have any interest in trading away Andersson.  They have a lot of older d-men and Andersson is one of their younger d-men that's proven and signed long term.  

I'd rather not do any deals with Calgary and let them gradually get older and sink to mediocrity.  They have years of pain coming up after their window closes shut in two years. 

So many years

the centers locked in are 30 and 32 both signed to retirement contracts an no young players to build around

this is why i think a deal like this would work, they have a solid number of dmen to ice. Weegar Tanev, Hanifan Zadorov

I also dont see Lindholm sticking it out with them, likely being a trade deadline deal before he just walks, the AVs would be smart to get him.

Backland is old, and might also be TDL bait

Toffoli is also another TDL bait who could put a team like Carolina over the top by playing on the 3rd line

The point is, theres not much future in Calgary and getting the most out of players that are likely to leave

Andersson, mid round first

Toffoli, late round first/second and prospect, Lindholm mid to late round first

Backland, late second and B prospect or younger bottom 6 roster player

I even think they should be exploring a trade for Hueberdu

• Vintage 1

Calgary is looking to compete, I don't think they're going to be looking to unload players for picks.

If we're moving the pick for a D, I think we could do better than Andersen in a 1for1 move.

I'd be retaining on Boeser/Beau before I move down in the draft on that 11th.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Calgary is looking to compete, I don't think they're going to be looking to unload players for picks.

If we're moving the pick for a D, I think we could do better than Andersen in a 1for1 move.

I'd be retaining on Boeser/Beau before I move down in the draft on that 11th.

The issue i see is this

after next season they have 3 forwards who play significant roles needing new contracta, all these guys will be 29+ to add to the already 30+ crowd signed long term of kadri hub and weegar

they also have 3 dmen who will be needing new contracts who will all be 28 plus

thats a situation that would ruin a team if they try to keep it intact. Basically 5 forwards and 4 dmen signed into their mid to late 30s at the same time

something has to give with them

they will have a tough time moving hub

they will have an impossible time moving kadri

they need to bring in youth in any way possible

5 minutes ago, Wanless said:

The issue i see is this

after next season they have 3 forwards who play significant roles needing new contracta, all these guys will be 29+ to add to the already 30+ crowd signed long term of kadri hub and weegar

they also have 3 dmen who will be needing new contracts who will all be 28 plus

thats a situation that would ruin a team if they try to keep it intact. Basically 5 forwards and 4 dmen signed into their mid to late 30s at the same time

something has to give with them

they will have a tough time moving hub

they will have an impossible time moving kadri

they need to bring in youth in any way possible

They have a few prospects ready to push into the lineup, so I could see them moving out some of the aging players.

I would think they'd look into moving Tanev or Zadorov before they do Andersen. 

On 32 thoughts, Friedman said something to the effect of Backlund wanting the C, and if he didn't get it there was a chance he'd be looking for a change of scenery, moving any of those guys would make enough space to bring up Pelletier, Phillips or some of the other top prospects.

They'll also almost certainly be moving Vladar, as Wolf is ready for the NHL. Maybe there is even an outside chance they try and move Markstrom, and go with Vladar and Wolf tandem. After the year Marky had, maybe it's not a bad plan. There are a lot of teams in dire need of a starting goaltender. 

Calgary's tied themselves to Kadri, Huberdeau, and Weegar, they're likely going to try and compete. Moving Andersson, one of the few D they have with term attached, doesn't really help them do that. 

If anything this management group might look at moving guys who'll be UFA's next season, look to integrate prospects, and hold on to their top picks going forward. I'm sure they'd like to add picks but they'll likely juggle trying to be a competitive team while building the future going forward, a retool of sorts. 

They'll probably try to keep Lindholm, Hanifin, and maybe Zadorov. Could see a short Tanev extension too. Guys like Stecher, Stone, and Backlund could be gone sooner than later though. If they think Hanifin or Zadorov might walk they may even trade them out. Calgary's not in a position to lose players for nothing. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's an interesting deal, & a good team to target. Can't say whether I'd pull the trigger, but it would certainly merit thorough analysis/discussion.

Its the kind of deal if the guy we want at the draft isnt there

Some are worried about Miller being 30 years old.  Calgary has like 7-8 guys older than him.  Their best bet is to sell at next year's deadline and get picks and prospects for Tanev, Zadorov, Toffoli, Backlund.  They should look at extending Lindholm and Hanifin.  I'd do a Garland straight up trade for Tanev.  It gives them a younger forward with term.  They won't get much other than a draft pick for Tanev if they trade him at the deadline and I doubt he re-signs with them to play on their 3rd pairing.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Good idea (looking to trade our pick for a solid young defenseman), wrong team though.   If you make a list of all the trades we've made with EDM and CAL, the pattern is definitely there - they aren't big deals. and there isn't many of them.   Bear and Steve Stois level is getting at or near the peak.    This would be a major trade, most likely it won't be with anyone else in our division, especially a team we've got that much history with. 

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Good idea (looking to trade our pick for a solid young defenseman), wrong team though.   If you make a list of all the trades we've made with EDM and CAL, the pattern is definitely there - they aren't big deals. and there isn't many of them.   Bear and Steve Stois level is getting at or near the peak.    This would be a major trade, most likely it won't be with anyone else in our division, especially a team we've got that much history with. 

Inter division trades are tricky to justify. 

However for the canucks side, this doesnt make them better for a few years, are arguably should only make them younger, so not a threat

For the flames, if they decide they need a 3 year retool then they wont be concerned about improving the canucks now as much

Also, they have a rookie GM who has a lot on his plate

18 minutes ago, Wanless said:

However for the canucks side, this doesnt make them better for a few years, are arguably should only make them younger, so not a threat

For the flames, if they decide they need a 3 year retool then they wont be concerned about improving the canucks now as much

Why do you think they are re-tooling?  

Conroy is talking of how his 1st priority is to extend Lindholm - not really a-retooling move when he turns 29 later this year.  

Calgary's season went off the rails in large part because of Sutter - coaching decisions and just not connecting with several of their players.  Conroy already pointing out to some weird coaching decisions.  He talks of wanting to see their star players get more ice time - points out how they are down 1 goal and they are somehow not on the ice. Talks also of how Huberdeau/Kadri were playing all over the lineup and they never got the opportunity for their lines to build chemistry. 

• There it is 1

25 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Pretty sure the Flames will keep trying to win and compete for a couple years yet.   This isn't a Kesler like thing, where he gave JB two teams to work with.   I'd be shocked if we traded our 11th to CAL.   Or did any trades with them at all aside from a minor move.   A lot of the guys that work in or organization understand the old rivalry we had with them.    Just don't see it happening.   Maybe a fourth liner or depth D that's about it. 

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Conroy is talking of how his 1st priority is to extend Lindholm - not really a-retooling move when he turns 29 later this year.  

Calgary's season went off the rails in large part because of Sutter - coaching decisions and just not connecting with several of their players.  Conroy already pointing out to some weird coaching decisions.  He talks of wanting to see their star players get more ice time - points out how they are down 1 goal and they are somehow not on the ice. Talks also of how Huberdeau/Kadri were playing all over the lineup and they never got the opportunity for their lines to build chemistry. 

Boudreau would be the perfect coach for the Flames. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

If i was anyone of Lindholm Backlund Hanifan i would be very hesitant to sign on with a team that would be full of retirement contracts. Also, if i were the GM I would be very weary of loading up a team with players north of 30 with. We’re talking 6-7 players, core players who are on their retirement contracts. I cant think of a team with that make up let alone a successful one. Even the penguins with their aging vets arent that old, had 2 of the top 5 centerman over the last 15 years and a legit number 1 defenseman and missed the playoffs

also, remember this is proposals and armchair GMing, where its more than just trade suggestions but also roster reconstruction suggestions

I do think its time for the flames to put the fire out with this roster and try as hard as possible to get younger as soon as possible to save face on the chucky trade.

if they start this off season they can clear cap take on cap dumps and turn around as fast as the rangers did. If not they end up with massive buyout costs and spending picks and prospects to unload bad contracts

I think, whether they make this proposed trade, they need to rework their roster and age structure

i also really like the proposal of one of our right wingers for Tanev

Edited by Wanless