The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Milan Lucic and the Canucks. Should they consider him?

32 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You know,

You make sense.

IF he can contribute, having Looch on the 4th line to give our talent some space out there isn't the worst thing. 

We both make sense I think. Totally agree with you on both pros and cons of it. Regardless, It’s always good to have options. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/8/2023 at 2:04 PM, Baratheon said:

Cheers!  I am not saying that we don't need toughness in the lineup.  I'm saying that we do not need it to the extent that we should be giving Milan Lucic a place on our roster. 

He hasn't played in Edmonton since the 2019 season.  We're now heading in to the 2024 season and he wasn't even very good back then.

"toughness and physical intimidation doesnt exist in the NHL" For real... that's what you take from my comments?  Because I don't think we should invest in a guy specifically for fighting?  Come on now.

Sorry, its been a hectic few days. I was at work when i was ordered evacuated, had to rush home, etc etc, got out in a few hours, I'm safe and sound at a lovely little campsite:metal:

Back to lucic/ toughness/ enforcers

I didnt mean to imply that Lucic was the end all and be all for the roster posted earlier in this thread, I only meant that I would love to add Lucic as a 12/13. He adds several traits missing from the Canucks, plus he'd love to play here as it was his childhood dream.

It doesn't have to be Lucic, I'd also like 1 maybe 2 players known for fisticuffs/ heavy game, hell bring Ryan Reaves in for a year he's a righty though a few older than Lucic. any toughness enforcer etc is better then what we have now, ufa costs nothing but money and close to league minimum at that.

22/23rd 

Kolesar  74gp 18pts

Lucic 77gp 19pts

Joshua 79gp 23pts 

Just saying...

• Cheers 1

On 6/11/2023 at 1:21 AM, GhostsOf1994 said:

Sorry, its been a hectic few days. I was at work when i was ordered evacuated, had to rush home, etc etc, got out in a few hours, I'm safe and sound at a lovely little campsite:metal:

Back to lucic/ toughness/ enforcers

I didnt mean to imply that Lucic was the end all and be all for the roster posted earlier in this thread, I only meant that I would love to add Lucic as a 12/13. He adds several traits missing from the Canucks, plus he'd love to play here as it was his childhood dream.

It doesn't have to be Lucic, I'd also like 1 maybe 2 players known for fisticuffs/ heavy game, hell bring Ryan Reaves in for a year he's a righty though a few older than Lucic. any toughness enforcer etc is better then what we have now, ufa costs nothing but money and close to league minimum at that.

22/23rd 

Kolesar  74gp 18pts

Lucic 77gp 19pts

Joshua 79gp 23pts 

Just saying...

Well damn.  I’m glad that you’re alright.  I hope nothing too serious happened and that you’re able to return home soon.

I understand wanting some gritty guys who can play a heavy game.  Lucic is too far past it to provide that imo.  He’d have his moments I suppose but I think he’d cost us (on the ice) more than he’d help.  So you would really only be signing him for fights.  He’s been averaging about four fights per year for quite a while now.  Just don’t think it’s worth having him on the ice for that.

Perhaps a guy like Nick Ritchie could be a viable alternative?

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It's also not worth wasting a contract spot for that.

People should realize it's no longer 2007 and that he's no longer fresh off the Giants' roster.

Literally no one is claiming that...

• There it is 1

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It's also not worth wasting a contract spot for that.

People should realize it's no longer 2007 and that he's no longer fresh off the Giants' roster.

I understand the people who would like to add a player of his type.  But I don't think any of them realize exactly how bad he has become.  Plays go to die with him.  He has absolutely no hands left.  He is rarely able to get to the front of the net anymore.  Same with the forecheck.  He's just too slow.  (He was never fast to begin with but he's REALLY slow now). His advanced stats have been on a steady decline as well.  

We can't get off to a bad start next year. Lucic is a guy who can actively contribute to team tank lol.  Just not worth it for the 4ish fights that he might provide.  Is it really THAT hard to find (or develop) another 4th liner with some size and grit?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 hours ago, Baratheon said:

I understand the people who would like to add a player of his type.  But I don't think any of them realize exactly how bad he has become.  Plays go to die with him.  He has absolutely no hands left.  He is rarely able to get to the front of the net anymore.  Same with the forecheck.  He's just too slow.  (He was never fast to begin with but he's REALLY slow now). His advanced stats have been on a steady decline as well.  

We can't get off to a bad start next year. Lucic is a guy who can actively contribute to team tank lol.  Just not worth it for the 4ish fights that he might provide.  Is it really THAT hard to find (or develop) another 4th liner with some size and grit?

You’re missing the point. He doesn’t have to play a regular shift. Hell, he doesn’t even have to be rostered depending on who we’re playing against. But with certain teams who play a physically dominant game, he is there when that game gets heavy or dirty. Lucic at 5 mins a night is fine, especially if he comes cheap. I think he’d go to bat for his teammates and this club, especially with it being home. If he’s accepted by “us”, and understands he will be given a limited but important role, I think he’d be a great addition and a very beneficial reconciliation. 

I watched him last season a lot because I wondered if it may be his last. If he has one year left and he wants to it to be with the Nux, I think it would be highly beneficial. Just his presence alone amongst this roster. Imho, the ideal insurance protection policy for a guys like EP,QH or Podz who do get targeted, and it likely wouldn’t require term or noticeable hit.

The intangible that I would bet on in contracting him is it likely being the last hurrah and coming full circle - wanting to go out on a high note in his hometown. He could in one year redeem all previous reputation amongst certain populace of the fan base, and actually become revered. 
I’d risk a contract slot and some dollars on that. It’s such a low risk gamble with what could be a nice arc. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, RWJC said:

You’re missing the point. He doesn’t have to play a regular shift. Hell, he doesn’t even have to be rostered depending on who we’re playing against. But with certain teams who play a physically dominant game, he is there when that game gets heavy or dirty. Lucic at 5 mins a night is fine, especially if he comes cheap. I think he’d go to bat for his teammates and this club, especially with it being home. If he’s accepted by “us”, and understands he will be given a limited but important role, I think he’d be a great addition and a very beneficial reconciliation. 

I watched him last season a lot because I wondered if it may be his last. If he has one year left and he wants to it to be with the Nux, I think it would be highly beneficial. Just his presence alone amongst this roster. Imho, the ideal insurance protection policy for a guys like EP,QH or Podz who do get targeted, and it likely wouldn’t require term or noticeable hit.

The intangible that I would bet on in contracting him is it likely being the last hurrah and coming full circle - wanting to go out on a high note in his hometown. He could in one year redeem all previous reputation amongst certain populace of the fan base, and actually become revered. 
I’d risk a contract slot and some dollars on that. It’s such a low risk gamble with what could be a nice arc. 

I’m not missing your point at all.  I’m saying that I still don’t think it’s worth using a roster spot on him.  You’re saying that you watched him a lot last year and still think he should play about 5 minutes per night… Yikes

I fully understand wanting to protect our young players.  Just don’t think that Lucic is much of deterrent at this point.  A guy that opposing players almost look forward to playing against these days.

I would rather we have a full roster of guys that can take a regular shift.  Guys who will all stick up for one another rather than relying on one enforcer.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I’m not missing your point at all.  I’m saying that I still don’t think it’s worth using a roster spot on him.  You’re saying that you watched him a lot last year and still think he should play about 5 minutes per night… Yikes

I fully understand wanting to protect our young players.  Just don’t think that Lucic is much of deterrent at this point.  A guy that opposing players almost look forward to playing against these days.

I would rather we have a full roster of guys that can take a regular shift.  Guys who will all stick up for one another rather than relying on one enforcer.

5 mins a night on the nights he’s rostered. I’m not condoning a regular placement. But basically, regardless of the benefit to Abby, I would rather have a Lucic playing 5mins a night on an as and when, than I would have a Nic Petan trying to play a defensive forward role on the 4th line for 10mins +.
Pick your poison, but in the argument of a roster spot and price point, let’s at least try to fit the mold of that type role player effectively. 

Fair enough. I get what you’re saying and agree with it. Just unsure where we are going to locate that player(s) this offseason but sure hope we do. I’m all for finding suitable longterm options asap. If not, Lucic should still remain an option because I think we could still squeeze value from him above cost. Just for the interim. Use this season to find suitable long term replacements, once first priority - cap hell, is resolved. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Fair enough and I get what you’re saying and agree with it. Just unsure where we are going to locate that player(s) this offseason but sure hope we do. I’m all for finding suitable longterm options asap. If not, Lucic should still remain an option because I think we could still squeeze value from him above cost. Just for the interim. Use this season to find suitable long term replacements, once first priority - cap hell, is resolved. 

I’d like us to look at Nick Ritchie but idk if that’s realistic or not.

8 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I’d like us to look at Nick Ritchie but idk if that’s realistic or not.

Watched him too. It’s intriguing. But if you want a guy who will stand up for his teammates, you should also want a guy whose play is a consistent effort game in game out. Ritchie is prone to lazy play for stretches and also has a low defensive IQ at times as well. Not sure Tocchet could iron that out. A solid low cost interim option nonetheless. 

https://flamesnation.ca/news/amp/after-calgary-flames-cameo-what-does-the-future-hold-for-nick-ritchie

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

On 6/10/2023 at 2:27 PM, chon derry said:

I’m really hoping Brady keeper can make the jump he’s pretty scrapy. Does have minimal nhl exp. but I suppose woo’s ahead of him in overall talent. 

As far as Abby UFA’s, I’m glad we didn’t get Focht, and and agree Brady’s a Keeper.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Baratheon said:

How many Calgary games did you watch last season? Are you boxscore watching? 

I watched about 8 and at least 15 the year before. So I'm not sure where you're getting this over exaggerated view that Lucic can't play anymore. 

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

I watched about 8 and at least 15 the year before. So I'm not sure where you're getting this over exaggerated view that Lucic can't play anymore. 

While I don't think it'll be overwhelming, I do think that more than a few teams will be making offers to Lucic come free agency. 

• Cheers 2

18 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Aside from our own team, I kinda just watch hockey games at random for the most part.  I probably watched most of the games that they were on HNIC and then a few other odd ones.  Not sure how many games that would be.  Something similar to your numbers I would imagine.  I certainly feel like I saw enough though and wasn’t impressed.  If anything I was happy that he played in Calgary lol

To be honest I didn’t really think I had that hot of a take.  I thought this view of him had been out there for a while now.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Keep Lucic away from this team, please.

A limited 4th line role at 1M or less is a benefit. Not a problem. Been too long our guys been getting pushed around without a legit enforcer on the team. He can also benefit the team with net front presence on the PP. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

A limited 4th line role at 1M or less is a benefit. Not a problem. Been too long our guys been getting pushed around without a legit enforcer on the team. He can also benefit the team with net front presence on the PP. 

Low character guy, look for a knuckle thrower somewhere else, imo.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1