The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Canucks linked to an intriguing Right Handed Defenseman: The interest is mutual

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

The big question I always have though when you get players from really good teams is: how much of their sparkly analytics was them vs how much of it was the crew that surrounded them 

similar situation to goal scorers on freewheeling teams (Bo on our team) and try to bring them onto more responsible teams with proper systems (New York) 

I can’t say I watched Severson enough to know if he’s the real deal or if he looks better because of his team 

particularly when they get bumped down to the 3rd pairing and are generally playing against 3rd pairing quality competition. DS was bumped down the charts by Hamilton and Marino, in a similar way Myers was bumped by Byfuglien and Trouba right before his big payday.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

particularly when they get bumped down to the 3rd pairing and are generally playing against 3rd pairing quality competition. DS was bumped down the charts by Hamilton and Marino, in a similar way Myers was bumped by Byfuglien and Trouba right before his big payday.

If you can’t see the difference how deep the Devils defence this year is compared to Winnipegs then, I can’t help you any further.

They were rotating him and Graves as the #4 minute guy in the playoffs. They panicked and overplayed Marino and Hamilton imo especially in the Carolina series. 

Edit: Myers was also 3rd on the team in ice time, not bumped to the third pair. 

Edited by canuck73_3

22 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

The big question I always have though when you get players from really good teams is: how much of their sparkly analytics was them vs how much of it was the crew that surrounded them 

similar situation to goal scorers on freewheeling teams (Bo on our team) and try to bring them onto more responsible teams with proper systems (New York) 

I can’t say I watched Severson enough to know if he’s the real deal or if he looks better because of his team 

I’ve watched him since Kelowna. He’s a case of an overlooked player by casual fans because he is good offensively. He’s not a Myers comparison at all. Though any puck moving dman is prone to gaffes as they are carrying and moving the puck so much. Even elite ones like Hughes, Makar and Karlsson have their miscues. 

You don’t put up xGAR numbers on par with Tanev it you’re Myers 2.0. Period. 

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, MattWN. said:

Where did I say Severson is Myers? Maybe you're reading comprehension isn't up to par?

I said it's the same idiots who want to sign the big name D free agent year after year.

You must really feel like a big tough guy just continuing to call people on this board idiots...

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, MattWN. said:

Where did I say Severson is Myers? Maybe you're reading comprehension isn't up to par?

I said it's the same idiots who want to sign the big name D free agent year after year.

MattWN: “All the people clamouring to sign Severson or Graves are the same idiots who wanted Myers”

basically saying that Severson = Myers but hey keep calling people idiots big boy. 

My comprehension is fine. 

5 minutes ago, bh90 said:

You must really feel like a big tough guy just continuing to call people on this board idiots...

I’d rather be an idiot that wants to approve the team, than an idiot who wants to wait til they’ve earned it. (Whatever the fk that means) 

22 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

If you can’t see the difference how deep the Devils defence this year is compared to Winnipegs then, I can’t help you any further.

They were rotating him and Graves as the #4 minute guy in the playoffs. They panicked and overplayed Marino and Hamilton imo especially in the Carolina series. 

Edit: Myers was also 3rd on the team in ice time, not bumped to the third pair. 

I'm sure what you mean in your first line? They both had stacked D in their FA year. Devil's have a top 5 D core this year, and when Myers played for the Jets they were in constant discussion about one of the league's best D cores.

As for your edit. Yes, total. But he was 4th on average ice time for D, with inflated minutes due to getting pp time. He was on the 3rd pair by the end of the season. I'm only confident with this because I wanted to sign Myers that summer and recall making arguments about how his icetiming reducing over the season wasn't a negative like others were saying (that take didn't age well)

It wasn't just the playoffs as you describe with Severson. It was all year. He was tied for 4/5 in icetime on the Devils blue line. Marino and Hamilton wasn't a panic move in the playoffs, they were consistently leaned on more throughout the year.

But again, were quibbling over minutes. Do you really believe that none of my original points, which you haven't addressed yet, hold any merit in why we would need to proceed with extreme caution if we were to sign Severson.

Edited by MeanSeanBean

15 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I'm sure what you mean in your first line? They both had stacked D in their FA year. Devil's have a top 5 D core this year, and when Myers played for the Jets they were in constant discussion about one of the league's best D cores.

As for your edit. Yes, total. But he was 4th on average ice time for D, with inflated minutes due to getting pp time. He was on the 3rd pair by the end of the season. I'm only confident with this because I wanted to sign Myers that summer and recall making arguments about how his icetiming reducing over the season wasn't a negative like others were saying (that take didn't age well)

It wasn't just the playoffs as you describe with Severson. It was all year. He was tied for 4/5 in icetime on the Devils blue line. Marino and Hamilton wasn't a panic move in the playoffs, they were consistently leaned on more throughout the year.

But again, were quibbling over minutes. Do you really believe that none of my original points, which you haven't addressed yet, hold any merit in why we would need to proceed with extreme caution if we were to sign Severson.

I think he’s much more mobile than Myers, he’s better defensively then Myers. 

And as it stands this team isn’t getting any better with Myers, it’s time to shuffle the deck and try for a better fit. 

7 minutes ago, Screw said:

Pass on him imo.   Too expensive.   Canucks need to find more Dakota Joshua style players.  Found value.

We need too dump Myers and acquire a top 4 dman. You need more than a team of Dakota Joshua’s. 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

I think he’s much more mobile than Myers, he’s better defensively then Myers. 

And as it stands this team isn’t getting any better with Myers, it’s time to shuffle the deck and try for a better fit. 

Can't say I even agree with the mobility.  Myers is actually a very good skater. And since you still won't agree any of my original points I think we can call it a day 

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Can't say I even agree with the mobility.  Myers is actually a very good skater. And since you still won't agree any of my original points I think we can call it a day 

I never said I disagree with all of it, I understand a bit of the concern but this is a new regime. I’m willing to let go of the past. 

Myers is a good skater for his size but be is nowhere near as mobile as Severson either. 

Edited by canuck73_3

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

We need too dump Myers and acquire a top 4 dman. You need more than a team of Dakota Joshua’s. 

So we should dump a six mill D for an even more expensive D? 

You talk very much like Benning that made a lot of cap problems.

We already have three expensive D and don’t need a fourth.

Or do you think that he signs for 3,5 mill?

12 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Myers will be traded this offseason. His showing at the Worlds has had an effect on his value.

If you're right, I will be very happy. I am curious what kind of retention it'd take to trade him without giving up a pick or a prospect. I still think even with his Worlds showing, 6mil is a pretty massive price tag for a might be top 4, more likely a top 6 D-man. Especially with that bonus that we still don't know if it can be paid sooner than September. That bonus is the major cloud over a trade, not so much his trade value.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

"Damon is the perfect example of a player you need numbers for. He does a ton of little things well but makes hideous mistakes at a disturbing rate."

Quote from that article, sounds a lot like Myers to me:lol:

For me that's the number one thing I'm looking at in defenceman. I want a player who makes as close to zero mistakes as possible. And if they do make an error it's not a huge gaffe setting the other team up for an easy chance. Myers is a consistently abject failure in this regard.

• Like 1

Puts up decent point totals but is a - player in his NHL career, last year was the first time he was + for an NHL season. Jersey was/is a young team and it is a team sport in regards to +/- totals, But is it a red flag. I've never watched the NJD play much so I have no idea what is behind those minus seasons.

9 hours ago, the harry said:

Yes, Severson kept making stupid mistakes, but not last season. His last season was very good, so the question is whether he can maintain that level now.

He also did that last year from the 3rd pair, with lower pressure and QOC. 

He's a decent 2 way D, who's yes, better than Myers. But he's about on par with/slightly below Hronek, with a redundant skill set and will cost too much, for too long.

Short of stumbling upon a legit #1d (when BOS decides to rebuild, nab McAvoy?) what we really need is a Pesce/Cernak/Carlo/Larsson/Savard/Peeke etc.

That ain't Severson.