The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

But OEL wasn't going to be playing in the top 4.  He was going to be an anchor playing on the 3rd pairing where he could be replaced with someone making less than $2 million.  So the cost is a wash.  We get the cap space needed to get a legit top 4 Dman and then use the remaining money to pay the 3rd pairing guy whatever is left.  \

At the end of the day paying a guy $7.26 million to play on your 3rd pairing for 4 years makes no sense.  The buyout is actually a smart strategic move to get maximum cap space available this year and a good chunk next year and then allow some of our ELC contracts to make the club in years 3-4.  Years 5-8 are irrelevant because if we are not a contender by then then the extra 4 years won't even matter...

That's out of convenience that you automatically move him onto the 3rd pair.  Reality is if he was healthy and is healthy going into next season, he'd be on the 2nd pair.  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Way I see the D now we do need help.

QH. Hronek

Hirose Myers

Wolanin Johansson or Woo or McWard

Not good we need d help 

Yea they’re for sure looking at trade options right now.

They just need a left hand D that can play really well in his own zone and kill penalties. If they can do that then Myers can still be a serviceable number 4. He can’t carry a pairing though.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

That's out of convenience that you automatically move him onto the 3rd pair.  Reality is if he was healthy and is healthy going into next season, he'd be on the 2nd pair.  

On the second pair not able to kill penalties or bring anything to a powerplay.

Not much of a second pair guy…

Edited by DeNiro

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Yea they’re for sure looking at trade options right now.

They just need a left hand D that can play really well in his own zone and kill penalties. If they can do that then Myers can still be a serviceable number 4. He can’t carry a pairing though.

That's my hope a good trade.

Maybe two and get a 3c.

I just hope we can fill a hole with a trade and keep cap space.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

On the second pair not able to kill penalties or bring anything to a powerplay.

Not much of a second pair guy…

Not saying he would be a good 2nd pair LHD, but reality is that's how he would have been deployed.  

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Sure, that's why they bought him out, because he was going to be a top 4 Dman?  :lol:

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure, that's why they bought him out, because he was going to be a top 4 Dman?  :lol:

If Aquilini didn't ante up, yeah, I believe they'd have him playing 2LHD.  Again, I'm not saying he'd be good as a 2LHD, but what I am saying is that's what we would have been left with.  No different than last year or the year before.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

OEL was actually done as an nhl player. He needed to play protected minutes. Best thing our owner did was to buyout OEL. On the ice and in the room our club is do much better. Janik Hansen on 650 said it best. OEL, because of his contract and very poor play, was an elephant in our room. He was an anchor that had to be cut loose. The other players know this is best and it increases their chances to be on a winner. No player wants dead weight on their club. They want to win. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

If Aquilini didn't ante up, yeah, I believe they'd have him playing 2LHD.  Again, I'm not saying he'd be good as a 2LHD, but what I am saying is that's what we would have been left with.  No different than last year or the year before.

If OEL wasn't bought out, we would have traded other contracts with sweeteners attached and then went out and got a bonafide top 4 defensive Dman to play with Hronek.  There is no sceanrio where Tocchet would have had OEL playing 20+ minutes a night on the second pairing and playing top minutes on the PK.  Tocchet already had a problem with him in Arizona, that problem did not change now in Vancouver.

I am also going to say that I believe they were always going to buyout OEL.  Having him on the 3rd pairing would have been horrendous for the team.  JR even said buyouts were on the table back in January.  His sidekick who is only a yes man told us a different story, but we know the bald guy isn't the one who is running the show.  It's the older guy who every once in awhile has to wake up from his nap and put his teeth in like @Alflives likes to talk about...

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not saying he would be a good 2nd pair LHD, but reality is that's how he would have been deployed.  

For sure but they obviously don’t wanna do that for the next four years.

Same reason they didn’t wanna rebuild is the same reason they were never gonna ride out the remaining 4 years of his contract.

Rutherford has a history of building D cores with low paid underrated guys, so we’ll see what they can come up with.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OEL was actually done as an nhl player. He needed to play protected minutes. Best thing our owner did was to buyout OEL. On the ice and in the room our club is do much better. Janik Hansen on 650 said it best. OEL, because of his contract and very poor play, was an elephant in our room. He was an anchor that had to be cut loose. The other players know this is best and it increases their chances to be on a winner. No player wants dead weight on their club. They want to win. 

I believe Hansen's exact words were "The rot had to be removed"...

6 hours ago, chon derry said:

I don’t disagree both bigger players as well as smaller players drafted are a gamble. The smaller player being the bigger gamble. The bigger player having the edge in making it. Now that’s something that’s been  proved out over time. Avg height 6’1 200 lbs is a figure that’s  been faily consistent over time. 

Here's a website that has charted stats since 1915.  72" = 6 feet.  Avg height has been around 73" for since the early 90's but weight peaked in 2003 at 206.3 and in 2014 was 201.2.  I imagine this is due to changes in training.

NHL Player Size From 1917-18 to 2014-15: A Brief Look | Hockey Graphs (hockey-graphs.com)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf and EP were right all along and I do understand why it happened.

Cap the way it is and us finally having pieces to trade and bring up makes more sense then ever.

This summer more will happen and we will see the bigger picture.

If we do not make the playoffs I think heads will roll.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

These are the same guys that signed Brock to a 3 year deal- so yah, I feel fine questioning their decisions.

They had no choice.  Benning also screwed that one up by having Brock's QO at $7.5 million.  So they either reduce the AAV and give him some term or they let him walk for free.  

Also, Brock had respectable numbers last year and wasn't the main problem on this team.  I also went after Brock a few times, but I have since changed my stance on him.  If he comes to camp in great shape I think he can have a very good year playing with Miller...

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 2

2 hours ago, grumpyone said:

watch him stay at home and count money instead of announcing his retirement. 

by the way, what happens to the cap penalty if he DOES announce his retirement? 

He's actually getting paid ALOT less now than before the buyout.  He was owed $10.5 million this year and another $8 million next year.  With the buyout he is getting $2.4 million this year and every year for the next 8 years.  Not sure if that is enough to feed the kids.  He may have to find another team to play for...

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1