The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teams will not wear specialty jerseys in warmups next season

Rate this topic

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

All those applauding this must have wanted the NFL to stop doing the anthem after the backlash against the players who chose to kneel, right?

I think all the pro sports should stop doing the anthems.  It is anachronistic, these aren’t national teams and it puts the players in a position to be political footballs. 
The tradition argument doesn’t work for me either. They used to do it at movies to but that was silly and they stopped. 
An anthem at the beginning of the game in,y really serves to tell people game is about to start. It doesn’t add or subtract from national pride and too many people tell you it is about something else like the military when it has nothing to do with that. 
I am a proud Canadian who immigrated from a horrible place and don’t need an anthem to make me proud. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

When did I say anyone shouldn't play hockey?

One side of politics has won? Oh please, spare me the dramatization.

I'd have thought that if I were being called out, there'd be a sound argument explaining any errors in my posts. Yet you've replied to me multiple times and have offered none of that. Instead it seems you prefer to make up statements that I haven't said.

If you can't figure out what I'm trying to say, that's on you for choosing to be willfully ignorant and/or refusing the accept the consequences to your actions.

Youre being called out by 3 or 4 people for being incoherent, and for having a very one-sided perspective.  Granted, that doesn't necessarily make you wrong but I think it does show you should've done a better job explaining yourself.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

So then, if we can only control our own reactions but not the actions of others, why are you you so concerned at the actions of other fans and media. After all, you have no control over them, and more than we do the players

I am part of the group who can give a reaction to things that happen in the league.

I care about lies and nonsensical arguments. Both have been prevalent in these discussions.

I predicted that the ridiculous amount of backlash would cause the warmup jerseys to be removed. Anyone who could look at this objectively should have seen that coming.

Now that it has, many refuse to accept their role in this, which I find to be comically pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Youre being called out by 3 or 4 people for being incoherent, and for having a very one-sided perspective.  Granted, that doesn't necessarily make you wrong but I think it does show you should've done a better job explaining yourself.

Considering who some of the people are that disagree with me, that doesn't mean much. Some people refuse to have a reasonable discussion, and have a history of reading only what they want to see and/or twist my words.

Very few try to have a good discussion and actually listen to the perspective of someone they disagree with. It would be nice if more people were like this.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

50 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Hang on, put your money where your mouth is, if you are being literal, and chastising people for not wearing a pride shirt, let us see you wear a Nazi shirt.

No?  You're not going to love Nazi's?  So you too are not being inclusive?

Stop playing the "religion" card - it's getting boring.

The Nazis, eh?  I can't think of a more disgraceful comparison.  What kind of scumbag compares pride to Nazism...

The Pink Triangle: Never Forget

Edited by Bob.Loblaw
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

12 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Considering who some of the people are that disagree with me, that doesn't mean much. Some people refuse to have a reasonable discussion, and have a history of reading only what they want to see and/or twist my words.

Very few try to have a good discussion and actually listen to the perspective of someone they disagree with. It would be nice if more people were like this.

I gave you an olive branch here.  I was willing to look past the fact that your argument essentially boils down to a very simplistic "blame the left" message.  I wanted to point out that you didn't do a very good job explaining yourself.  And here you are being dismissive about that too.

That's fine.  But don't try to brand yourself as something you're not.  You're not someone people can have a "good" or "reasonable" discussion with.  At least not with people you don't agree with.

• Cheers 3

Design a really beautiful patch on the chest to commemorate each special occasion. The players will wear the patch on their jerseys for the one game. The game-worn jerseys (with the patch) could be auctioned off for a lot of money by those that can afford it. Canucks fans can also purchase the commemorative patch if they want, for $50.  Proceeds to Canucks Place.

The teams don't need a special jersey designed that no one can afford. None of the uptight players would have a problem if it's just a patch on their jersey. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob.Loblaw said:

I gave you an olive branch here.  I was willing to look past the fact that your argument essentially boils down to a very simplistic "blame the left" message.  I wanted to point out that you didn't do a very good job explaining yourself.  And here you are being dismissive about that too.

That's fine.  But don't try to brand yourself as something you're not.  You're not someone people can have a "good" or "reasonable" discussion with.  At least not with people you don't agree with.

Others have understood me just fine.

It's conveniently the ones who participated in the jerseys being removed that don't understand my argument. And I've mentioned why that is.

I have discussions with people I disagree with, if they put some effort in. Not going to waste time with those who don't. If all you come away with is "blame the left" when I haven't mentioned that, well that's on you and just proves my point.

50 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I love the false equivalencies.  Like wearing a pride symbol is the left equivalent of wearing Nazi regalia on the right.

Well if you are going to teach both sides you must teach them hate and love, how Christian.

False equivalencies are a great tool for those who want to redefine the argument because it is not flattering to them.  

The anthem is about the troops, it isn't.  A pride symbol is about promoting a lifestyle, it isn't it is a symbol in this context saying that you are welcome and safe.  Now you may object to the LGBTQ+ community feeling welcome and safe but that says more about you.

Yeah, that's messed up considering Homosexuals were also sent to concentration camps by the Nazi's.

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, Master Mind said:

I am part of the group who can give a reaction to things that happen in the league.

I care about lies and nonsensical arguments. Both have been prevalent in these discussions.

I predicted that the ridiculous amount of backlash would cause the warmup jerseys to be removed. Anyone who could look at this objectively should have seen that coming.

Now that it has, many refuse to accept their role in this, which I find to be comically pathetic.

Um, I think we are all of us part of the group who can give reaction to things that happen in the league. We're called "fans".

I accept my part in what happened. People calling out players for being homophobes (and I was one) were met with the resistance of "religious freedom!" and both sides amped up their rhetoric, including "you'll get the jerseys cancelled"

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

Hang on, put your money where your mouth is, if you are being literal, and chastising people for not wearing a pride shirt, let us see you wear a Nazi shirt.

I'm sure you have an extra you can loan out, right? 

Do you realize the absurdity of implying you are more comfortable wearing a swastika than a rainbow?

And no, I'm not going to love Nazis. Ever. More lives have been lost to that twisted version of "superiority" than pretty much anything else in human history. 

But thank you for letting us all know which shirt you'll wear

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, StrayDog said:

Do you realize the absurdity of implying you are more comfortable wearing a swastika than a rainbow?

And no, I'm not going to love Nazis. Ever. More lives have been lost to that twisted version of "superiority" than pretty much anything else in human history. 

Speaking of false equivalencies...I never said Nazi's were the same as Pride.  I was pointing out the hypocrisy of those that say Christians should love everyone, yet they don't do it themselves.  

No, I will not wear a nazi symbol.  I never said I wouldn't wear a Pride symbol.  I believe their underlying message.  

Thanks for missing the point.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, StrayDog said:

Um, I think we are all of us part of the group who can give reaction to things that happen in the league. We're called "fans".

I accept my part in what happened. People calling out players for being homophobes (and I was one) were met with the resistance of "religious freedom!" and both sides amped up their rhetoric, including "you'll get the jerseys cancelled"

Yes, every fan is part of that group. 

You asked why I was concerned about fan reactions, and that is why.

We can't control what a player does, but each of us plays a small role in the fan reaction. You accept your part, so I tip my hat to you for that, despite our disagreeing positions.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Heretic said:

Ooof what a terrible take. So gays = nazi’s now? Lmao wow. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Heretic said:

I didn't say they were the same.

Hate is hate - no matter how it's presented.

Inclusive?  No.  Pride is not, hence why my gay daughter does not like them.  

We need to all be in middle ground.

Sorry there is no middle ground with nazi’s. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, StrayDog said:

The pretty much anything else in human history being religion!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

Speaking of false equivalencies...I never said Nazi's were the same as Pride.  I was pointing out the hypocrisy of those that say Christians should love everyone, yet they don't do it themselves.  

No, I will not wear a nazi symbol.  I never said I wouldn't wear a Pride symbol.  I believe their underlying message.  

Thanks for missing the point.

Maybe you shouldn't have brought Nazis up in the first place.  It was a stupid idea.

Religion is the primary reason why some players refused to wear the jersey.  Politics is the primary reason why the league eventually canceled the entire warmup scheme.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2