The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] ‘Tis the Dog Days of Summer, Are we Thinging Before Training Camp?

Rate this topic

AngryElf

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

K so we're done now. We spent the whole cap this is our team this year. 

Kuz Pete Brock

Beau  Miller Garland

Mikheyev Beluger Pod

Hog Aman Dakota

Hughes Soucy

Cole Hronek 

Breezer Myers

Demko and frineds

Are we a playoff team? Seems iffy.

8 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Quick cap update

PROJECTED CAP HIT Tooltip : $85,980,417
PROJECTED LTIR USED Tooltip : $0
PROJECTED CAP SPACE Tooltip : $0 (-$2,480,417 Tooltip)
PRE-SEASON LTIR CANDIDATE ESTIMATES:
CAP HIT OF LTIR CANDIDATES Tooltip : $5,750,000
CAP SPACE WITH LTIR CANDIDATES Tooltip : $3,269,583
CURRENT CAP SPACE Tooltip : $0
DEADLINE CAP SPACE Tooltip : $0
TODAY'S CAP HIT Tooltip : $85,980,417
ROSTER SIZE: 21/23
CONTRACTS: 45/50
RESERVE LIST: 68/90
INJURIES: 3

It's literally day 1 (which isn't even over yet)... There's still 2 months + (and half of today) to continue to sign and trade players. And no, that's not all of our cap.

• Upvote 1

This is the first time in years we will have an average NHL D core.

There are two ratings I can give the offseason to this point (who knows…. Something magical can still happen and there is a secondary trade market that we may be able to move cap out).

Given the limitations and cap space, I give them a B+.  On paper the team has gone from a bottom feeder to one that should be in the mix for one of the last playoffs spots.  That is their stated goal and they accomplished what they apparently wanted.

In the larger context, it drops to a C- though for me.  None of the signings are real difference makers and moving the team towards being a real contender.  We will be asking all these guys to take a step up and play bigger roles on our team.  That regularly doesn’t work.  We paid a big premium of future competitiveness with the OEL buyout for the sake of this year, and no one will have this team as a legitimate contender in their season previews.

Teams with cap space made out really well with value signings that were just out of our price range.

If Soucey and Hronek can be a shot suppressing pairing that plays well for 22 all purpose minutes a game, that probably adds 10 points to our season total just in itself.

If Blueger and Mikheyev can be a good PK unit that we haven’t had, that could be a godsend to the team compared with the last few years.

If Ian Cole can keep his head above water alongside Hughes… that will help incrementally. 

Edited by Provost

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

So would it be correct to say that if either Poolman/Pearson are healthy in the fall,  we're in trouble?  There must be additional moves coming,  no?

Might just line up with Myers bonus in September.

• Cheers 1

I’ve been kind of wondering if the rumoured Myers to San Jose deal was contingent on someone like O’Reilly agreeing to come here. No point paying to dump him if there’s no one to sign with that cap.

I don’t see Karlsson going anywhere soon, so I doubt it’s that.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

It's literally day 1 (which isn't even over yet)... There's still 2 months + (and half of today) to continue to sign and trade players. And no, that's not all of our cap.

If we manage to pull another solid C that’s good enough to push Bleuger down the to 4th line than I like our C depth next year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Might just line up with Myers bonus in September.

Nhl season starts oct 7th, FWIW

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

So would it be correct to say that if either Poolman/Pearson are healthy in the fall,  we're in trouble?  There must be additional moves coming,  no?

I think we could still be compliant if one of them returns,  and I would count on 1-3 trades between now and the start of the season

Edited by Kenny Powers

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we manage to pull another solid C that’s good enough to push Bleuger down the to 4th line than I like our C depth next year. 

Apparently PA is still working…might see more moves today

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I’ve been kind of wondering if the rumoured Myers to San Jose deal was contingent on someone like O’Reilly agreeing to come here. No point paying to dump him if there’s no one to sign with that cap.

I don’t see Karlsson going anywhere soon, so I doubt it’s that.

BTW the Penguins and 3 other teams are trying to get EK. If ek is moved sjs would definitely be interested in Myers for 1 year after his sept bonus is paid.

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

I think we could still be compliant if one of them returns,  and I would count on 1-3 trades between now and the start of the season

Can’t rule out a winger trade as well. Though it may seem unlikely it is never a closed door.  

I reckon if Myers is moved they may want a bigger acquisition too. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Good to see they are bringing in more D into the organization - with the 4 draft picks and now 2 free agents - lets see if they can acquire even more D depth in the next few months. 

This team has decent scoring but will not overwhelm teams so they need to look at making themselves a tougher team to play against with a grittier defensive style.  I hope Tocchet has some say in the player acquisition process - can't dictate a style of play if you don't have the necessary type of players to handle it.  I think losing Burroughs was tough as he is the type of player for RT's systems.  Perhaps, they will now take a look at Jett Woo  and see if he is ready for the 6-8th grouping.

After watching this years playoffs where everything seems to be fair game, a grittier team will help down the road even during the playoff drives in March and April.

1 minute ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Nhl season starts oct 7th, FWIW

Yup, and Myers bonus is Sept 15. Gives us a few weeks to find a trade should Pearson or Poolman actually look healthy enough to be a cap issue (which are both still unlikely IMO).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

BTW the Penguins and 3 other teams are trying to get EK. If ek is moved sjs would definitely be interested in Myers for 1 year after his sept bonus is paid.

Lol with what cap space?

Pens acquiring Karlsson is never gonna happen.

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

Apparently PA is still working…might see more moves today

My ideal free agency was 2 roster Cs and 2 roster Ds. 

So far 3/4.  The 1-3 year terms I liked are there. Soucy was a little outside my 3M max but that’s not enough to deter me from the signing. 

Any significant additions that fit in well with the cap after that 4/4 then it becomes a good free agency for me. 

• Cheers 4

10 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

this. 

Even if they don't. Spending that ltir would be pretty ballzy considering we have to extend Pete Hronek and fill an absolute ton of roster spots next year. Thought we bought out OEL to get ourselves out of cap hell.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Lol with what cap space?

Pens acquiring Karlsson is never gonna happen.

Pens rumours, Petry is apparently on the block, 35 rhd slowing down making 6+ and Granlund (:sick:) making 5mil plus a bunch of picks and prospects from pittsburgh?

Pettersson Letang

Graves EK

POJ Ruuta

Not sure it'll happen, but I'm hoping for a Myers and (Winger) trade. Got to ship out some money, makes me wonder if something else is basically done, so they made these other moves early. 

Canucks could also still use a RD, a #3/4C and a backup goalie.

If they go with:

Pettersson

Miller

Blueger

Aman/Joshua

...as their Cs next season, then so be it. I'd love it if Raty came to camp and tore the doors off, earning the #3C. Or maybe Podkolzin's been working on his faceoffs? :ph34r: