The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023-24 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to 2023-24 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

Nice summary @CRAZY_4_NAZZY informative.

I'm most interested to see what happens on the back end with Abby and Vancouver.  We saw some nice work from Wolanin, Juulson, Brisebois and Hirose coming down the stretch in Vancouver.  They were filling in but it looked like successful tryouts to me.  Now, of course, Hronek, Soucy, Cole and Irwin have been added.  Does this force the above back down to Abby?  You would have to think so.  Brisebois (turns 26 on July 21) has a new 2 year contract, the 2nd year is 1-way.  Juulson and Wolanin both earned 2 year, 2-way contracts with healthy minor league salaries.  Irwin is on a similar contract but for only 1 year.  So they're all players of interest to the Canucks with contracts that will keep them from looking towards Europe at the very least.  The only thing that these 4 young players don't offer is size (weight) and grit.  6 foot, 200 lb Jett Woo does play with some grit and signed to a 1 year 2-way contract after a better AHL season.  Woo still has no NHL games after his 3rd year of pro.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I'd like to see Raty take a big step. Hope he's putting in the work this off season. 

I went to a couple of Abby games last season and they were good fun, the atmosphere, the prices, and the quality of hockey, exciting games. Definitely going to try and get back for a few more games this season. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I presume you're still working on the OP, since some of the stats and facts seem a year out of date.

Excited for the team, especially on defense. Eager to see if Rathbone bounces back or if he fades away into permanent AHL territory. Woo has a chance to take a top pairing job this year if he keeps playing well. Might even earn some NHL time. If Wolanen goes back to Abbotsford though, then it could get tough with Rathbone as competition.

On 7/24/2023 at 8:18 AM, Dick Dastardly said:

What do the line combinations look like now that we pretty much know the full team?

Its really dependent on what happens with the slew of guys with Dries, Aman, Di Giuseppe, Studnicka, Juulsen, Wolanin, Hirose, and Brisebois.

I would forcast for now the lineup to look something like this to start opening night. I also expect that Ryan Johnson will add a few AHL veterans on AHL deals. Currently right now: Brisebois and Stevens are the only projected veterans on the roster that have played more than 260 pro games. That could change should Juulsen, Dries, Wolanin or Di Giuseppe are sent down.

Nielsen-Dries-Karlsson

Bains-Sasson-Stevens

McDonough-Raty-Klimovich

Bloom-Wouters-Gatcomb

Loewen/Walker

Brisebois-Woo

Rathbone-Johansson

Hirose-McWard

Schmiemann/Kannok-Leipert

Silovs

Sawchenko/Tolopilo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice OP @CRAZY_4_NAZZY. The only think I would add is some of the guys who "graduated" will have to start the season in Abby, just due to the numbers.

To be consistent with the OP, the left side on the Canucks would be Hughes, Soucy, Irwin, and Wolanin and the right side would be Hronek, Cole, Myers and Juulsen.

That means 8 guys on D and therefore only 13 forwards.

That will include the following 10 guys: Petey, Miller, Kuz, Mikheyev, Boeser, Beauvillier, Bluegar, Garland, Joshua, and Hoglander (as he is no longer waiver exempt).

The following guys will be competing for the final 3 forward spots: Aman, Podkolzin, PDG,  Pearson, Dries, Studnika,

There is a chance Pearson stays on LTIR. Dries and Aman will be fighting for the 4C spot. Tochett likes PDG, Hard to see Studnika making the team and I think the odds are against Dries as well. And if Pearson is healthy enough to play and good enough to make the team, then probably Podz or PDG will be sent to Abby.

Personally, I would pencil Dries and Studnika into the Abby lineup right now.

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

With all these players heading to Abbotsford what does the starting night line up look like?

Pretty sure all 4 signings will be playing in the ECHL at the start of the season. Fulfills a commitment to Kalamazoo to help stock their roster.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

19 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

With all these players heading to Abbotsford what does the starting night line up look like?

As for the starting lineup: Not sure how they will be positioned but expect to see these forwards in the lineup: Karlsson. Nielsen, Bains, Raty, Stevens, McDonough, Klimovich, Bloom, Sasson, Bloom, Loewen, Rau and Wouters

On defense I am expecting to see: Johansson, McWard, Leipert, Schmiemann and other possibles Woo , Brisbois and Juulsen. This is going to be a younger team than last year with more prospects playing. That said it has the makings of a very competitive team IMO. Especially with Silovs manning the net most nights

Looks like another signing with the Big Club and Suter will clearly be the third centre. If we assume that bumps Blueger to the fourth centre there could be a few unexpected faces in Abbotsford.

What are the thoughts as to where Dries, Aman, Studnick start the season?   I've got to think there is another trade coming.....too many warm bodies could hurt development down on the farm.