The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Surrey Policing Decision Finally Made - SPS Transition Over Reverting to RCMP

DonLever

26 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Are you saying it's ok to drink and drive? I go to the Milltown Pub in South Van. I tip well. If I'm driving I don't drink. If I walk down, then I can drink.

Would you rather "kill" a scene, or see people getting killed by impaired driving? Last thing I want to hear is a kid crossing a street in Delta getting smoked by a drunk driver.

Vancouver has transit, you can get Uber at a press of button, you get billions of dollars every other year for another transit project and don't really need to own a vehicle if you live in that city . In the Valley we got one Transit investment after 30 years for the same amount of population, you can't  do anything without a car . We don't even have Bus service that goes through our entire cities.

I think that there's more going on than we know.  First of all, both sides signed non-disclosure agreements wrt various reports on the state of the present RCMP in Surrey and their ability to deploy a sufficient force.  So there's that.  Also, there's talk that there are plans to make the RCMP more of a national force like the FBI in the US.  So within a decade, the RCMP would no longer be involved in municipal policing at all.  So they can bring in a municipal force now or in a decade or so.

At an immediate level, the RCMP is understaffed in Surrey and understaffed in BC and also nationally.  It's a matter of demographics.  There are more Mounties retiring than graduating from the academy.  How on earth are they going to raise staffing levels in Surrey without taking away from other jurisdictions?  

The fact is, the Provincial Govt is responsible to assure that whatever Police force that is installed in any municipality can maintain a sufficient standard of Policing.  This is made clear in the Police Act.  So what Farnworth has done is well within the law.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I think that there's more going on than we know.  First of all, both sides signed non-disclosure agreements wrt various reports on the state of the present RCMP in Surrey and their ability to deploy a sufficient force.  So there's that.  Also, there's talk that there are plans to make the RCMP more of a national force like the FBI in the US.  So within a decade, the RCMP would no longer be involved in municipal policing at all.  So they can bring in a municipal force now or in a decade or so.

At an immediate level, the RCMP is understaffed in Surrey and understaffed in BC and also nationally.  It's a matter of demographics.  There are more Mounties retiring than graduating from the academy.  How on earth are they going to raise staffing levels in Surrey without taking away from other jurisdictions?  

The fact is, the Provincial Govt is responsible to assure that whatever Police force that is installed in any municipality can maintain a sufficient standard of Policing.  This is made clear in the Police Act.  So what Farnworth has done is well within the law.

This is a lot more balanced of a commentary than much of the reactions online.

Trudeau's not gonna get much credit for realizing that the RCMP should not be in charge of municipal policing. It's a dirty job and policing is being thanked less and less for it. I'm by no means saying that all cops are good, nor am I downplaying the disgusting events of police interactions. The RCMP should be focused on the country being safe, while working in tandem with CSIS and other organizations.

Bureaucracy is often a subject worth complaining about, but it is impossible for one entity to do it all. There's just not enough people to  run this.

12 hours ago, Iron Fist said:

Vancouver has transit, you can get Uber at a press of button, you get billions of dollars every other year for another transit project and don't really need to own a vehicle if you live in that city . In the Valley we got one Transit investment after 30 years for the same amount of population, you can't  do anything without a car . We don't even have Bus service that goes through our entire cities.

There's this thing called designated drivers. Have a group of friends and alternate who takes everyone home. There was this thing called Taxi's long before Uber.

It takes a few minutes of planning and everyone gets home safe. The life you save (and vehicle) might be your own. Let alone injuring or killing others or causing damage to others.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

There's this thing called designated drivers. Have a group of friends and alternate who takes everyone home. There was this thing called Taxi's long before Uber.

It takes a few minutes of planning and everyone gets home safe. The life you save (and vehicle) might be your own. Let alone injuring or killing others or causing damage to others.

There's even a designated driver service so you can get someone to drive you home in your own car.  No excuses.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Taxis say no to service if they don't think They're going to get a customer on return.

On 7/19/2023 at 3:33 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I didn't know they made Dodge D250's in 2012? Did they mean Ram 2500?

An update on the Amber Alert…

It is believed that the mom is also travelling with her dad and boyfriend.  Last seen of her dad was in Merritt.  One truck looks to be hauling trailer of stuff.  The other vehicle is towing a large RV trailer.  So it’s likely they’ll hit some obscure camping grounds.

They were supposed to go camping in Kelowna but that booking was canceled.

Edited by BPA
  • Sad 1

On 7/19/2023 at 5:27 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Are you saying it's ok to drink and drive? I go to the Milltown Pub in South Van. I tip well. If I'm driving I don't drink. If I walk down, then I can drink.

Would you rather "kill" a scene, or see people getting killed by impaired driving? Last thing I want to hear is a kid crossing a street in Delta getting smoked by a drunk driver.

I dunno, is there anything wrong with having a drink with lunch?