The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] which defensemen will earn a full time roster spot this season?

Rate this topic

Ted Lasso

[Poll] which defensemen will earn a full time roster spot this season?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. which RH defensemen will earn a FT roster spot this season?

2. 2. which LH defensemen will earn a FT roster spot this season?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/12/2023 at 02:00 AM

11 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

Sorry, I don’t follow why Cole is missing from the lineup

I don't follow a  suggested Myers trade would put him in the lineup .

After his bonus we ship Myers out and Cole inserted top four in a line up I said would then have him in there.

We also have two extra forwards now so one like Hogs could be added to get a better pick or player.

So do not understand how your thinking is when I gave a way to make it work.

Juulsen- AHL

Mcward- AHL

Johansson- AHL

Woo- AHL

Irwin- AHL, but will make the team because we signed him as a FA

Rathbone- AHL

Briesboise- AHL

Wolanen- AHL

Hirose- Fringe NHL

All of these guys are AHL level dmen, and I’ll be super bummed if any make the team full time.  
It just shows how far away our team is from being a legit playoff team.  

We need 2 more legit top 4 dmen added to the team.  

13 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I don't follow a  suggested Myers trade would put him in the lineup .

After his bonus we ship Myers out and Cole inserted top four in a line up I said would then have him in there.

We also have two extra forwards now so one like Hogs could be added to get a better pick or player.

So do not understand how your thinking is when I gave a way to make it work.

So Cole is scratched until a Myers trade.

13 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

So Cole is scratched until a Myers trade.

Wow you really have no clue eh.

Myers gets bonus,traded before season stars what does that mean?

Guess I better spell it out.

He is off the roster and there's the spot for Cole.

You get it now?

31 minutes ago, Conscience said:

I want myers gone as much as anyone but we really need another rd coming in. Not sure from where?

Schenn woulda looked real nice with this d core.

Myers will be pushed out by Woo. Schenn is slow. He was carried by Hughes, who makes guys look a lot better than they really are. 

• Wat 1

10 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Wow you really have no clue eh.

Myers gets bonus,traded before season stars what does that mean?

Guess I better spell it out.

He is off the roster and there's the spot for Cole.

You get it now?

No, I have no clue why you would need to trade Myers in the preseason to make room for Cole. 

Looks like you just forgot about him in your lineup (even as depth) below.   Not a big deal.

On 8/11/2023 at 2:44 AM, cripplereh said:

QH Hronek

Soucy Myers

Hirose. Johansson

Irwin, Wolanin,Woo 

On 8/13/2023 at 8:15 AM, D.B Cooper said:

Juulsen- AHL

Mcward- AHL

Johansson- AHL

Woo- AHL

Rathbone- AHL

Briesboise- AHL

Wolanen- AHL

Hirose- Fringe NHL

All of these guys are AHL level dmen, and I’ll be super bummed if any make the team full time.  

Irwin hasn't played AHL since 2017, which makes me think he's NHL (until proven otherwise).  

Agree that we need 2 more legit top 4D (beyond stop-gap solutions).  Soucy will have the opportunity to establish himself as a top 4 if he can take that step.  After this season, we might have the cap space to sign a 2nd pair D.  It's also very likely we resort to using a 'complimentary' player with Hughes, like Ethan Bear, to round out the top 4.  

5 hours ago, Conscience said:

I want myers gone as much as anyone but we really need another rd coming in. Not sure from where?

Schenn woulda looked real nice with this d core.

The only RD signed for 24/25 is Noah Juulsen.  Of course, it's likely we'll re-sign Hronek, and potentially bring Bear back.  Regardless of how Soucy does in a top 4 role (or on the right side), we will need at least one more top 4 D.   

3 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

Irwin hasn't played AHL since 2017, which makes me think he's NHL (until proven otherwise).  

Agree that we need 2 more legit top 4D (beyond stop-gap solutions).  Soucy will have the opportunity to establish himself as a top 4 if he can take that step.  After this season, we might have the cap space to sign a 2nd pair D.  It's also very likely we resort to using a 'complimentary' player with Hughes, like Ethan Bear, to round out the top 4.  

The only RD signed for 24/25 is Noah Juulsen.  Of course, it's likely we'll re-sign Hronek, and potentially bring Bear back.  Regardless of how Soucy does in a top 4 role (or on the right side), we will need at least one more top 4 D.   

We have Johansson who looked really good in Abby.First call up he gets I think he will stay he is that good just needs not much time to figure out the NHL speed.

Plus Woo took a big step last year and could be another good call up.

So saying we need another RHD at this time is not true.

Can either become a top 4? Time will tell, but for me Johansson is closer then many think.

Edited by cripplereh

4 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

25 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

So saying we need another RHD at this time is not true.

We will need another top-4 D in 24/25. 

If Woo or Johansson become NHL regulars, that would be a huge step.  I don't see either of them becoming legit top 4 options (especially in one year), but would love to be wrong about that. 

On 8/16/2023 at 11:00 PM, wai_lai416 said:

there doesn't seem to be a none choice for LH i think they'll carry an extra defenceman and rotate hirose up and down the ahl since he's still waiver exempt

With 5 NHL dman, one of those listed will have to earn a spot to form the third pair

On 8/13/2023 at 8:15 AM, D.B Cooper said:

Juulsen- AHL

Mcward- AHL

Johansson- AHL

Woo- AHL

Rathbone- AHL

Briesboise- AHL

Wolanen- AHL

Hirose- Fringe NHL

Yes, this is what ive been saying as well.  It shows the lack of knowledge on this board with the amount of posters who have somehow convinced themselves we are a good team with journeyman perv cole on our top pair.

The defense is middle of pack at best. 

Hirose, Johansson, Juulsen, Brisebois, Woo could be NHL regulars someday however. 

15 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Yes, this is what ive been saying as well.  It shows the lack of knowledge on this board with the amount of posters who have somehow convinced themselves we are a good team with journeyman perv cole on our top pair.

The defense is middle of pack at best. 

Hirose, Johansson, Juulsen, Brisebois, Woo could be NHL regulars someday however. 

I think it's more that people have "convinced themselves" that we've gone from bottom of the pack, to middle of the pack, which is itself a solid improvement in basically one offseason. That and that management looks like they actually have an understanding of what needs to continue to improve, to maybe get closer to top of the pack in the coming years.

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think it's more that people have "convinced themselves" that we've gone from bottom of the pack, to middle of the pack, which is itself a solid improvement in basically one offseason. That and that management looks like they actually have an understanding of what needs to continue to improve, to maybe get closer to top of the pack in the coming years.

Benning dug is into a deep bloody hole. New management is doing a great job getting us out of that hole and up a ladder to the top of the heap. We shall soon see a return to the Great Gillis club results for our club! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Benning dug is into a deep bloody hole. New management is doing a great job getting us out of that hole and up a ladder to the top of the heap. We shall soon see a return to the Great Gillis club results for our club! 

To be honest when I looked at our self imposed Cap problems  I  couldn't see any solution. It was a massive mess with apprently no escape hatch. However credit where it's due PA has done a wonderful job. The only uncertainty is the Pearson injury. If he and Poolman were boot on LTI every thing would be OK. But Pearson tells us he's ready to go puts pressure on PA to move another winger. That's thhe wrinkle in PA plan. In addition Aquaman should get some applause for forking out th pay out on OEL contract