The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Canucks: Fresh season, fresh dream for Jack Rathbone

Rate this topic

RWJC

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Psst. His 3rd season was last year. I'm hopeful he's gotten his mojo back from being in Abby.

So was it his sophomore-sophomore jinx?

Total games his first season was 56 games second year was 60 but he lost his confidence during and didn’t get it back he played 25 games which then would give him less than two seasons of hockey.

8 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Total games his first season was 56 games second year was 60 but he lost his confidence during and didn’t get it back he played 25 games which then would give him less than two seasons of hockey.

No matter how much semantics you try last year was his 3rd pro year. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So far his rookie season has been his best. I'm not sure if it's injury, or players have figured him out. I like Hoglander. But I'm concerned he's just not in the cards long term for the club.

They wouldnt have spent a whole year developing him on the farm last year if the team didnt want him here.  

Hoglander is what, 21?  You dont give up on a player with that much skill this soon.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

They wouldnt have spent a whole year developing him on the farm last year if the team didnt want him here.  

Hoglander is what, 21?  You dont give up on a player with that much skill this soon.

I think the consideration is who will we take a chance on to clear waivers. If and when the player gets sent down. Some guys are in danger of getting claimed for free.

• Cheers 1

On 9/10/2023 at 5:59 PM, Citizen Erased said:

I knew I forgot some names. 

I also doubt they would clear waivers. It’s why I think Rathbone should be moved. At least they can get a late round pick for him. 

Woo is a late bloomer, but he could be NHL ready sooner rather than later. I would hold onto him. 

I would like to hold onto Woo but if he is not ready for NHL he needs to play AHL games..

Woo RD - will not clear waivers if sent down.. Sure hope Canucks can figure something out..Lots of prospects in pipe line now..

Juulsen 25 6'2 - Wolanin 6'1 27 LD - Johansson 22- 6'1 RD -- McWard RD-6'2 - 22--  Woo 6'0 22 -- Hirose LD- 6'0-LD -

Brisebois 25 -6'2 LD--- Rathbone 24 -6'0 LD

Willander 18 - 6'2 --RD -2-3 yrs away -- Pettersson 19 -LD -6'3 -2-3 yrs away --

Kudrayvtsev LD 19 Greyhounds - 2-3 yrs away  ---Brzustewicz  18- LD 6'0 Kitchener 2 -4 yrs-- Jurmo 21 -6'4 -205 - LD - 2yrs

Truscott  21 -6'1 -LD  close -US College ---    Mynio  18 -6'1 -LD - Seattle JR -- 2-4 yrs

There are a few other players I never mentioned. Allvin and group have done a great job getting some good prospects on track and drafting some.

If Rathbone wasn't capable of cracking the defense before, now with Hronek and Soucy in the fold, he'll have a far harder time cracking the corps. Like @DeNiro mentioned, Tocchet wants size on the back end, something Rathbone won't be able to develop. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Rathbone wasn't capable of cracking the defense before, now with Hronek and Soucy in the fold, he'll have a far harder time cracking the corps. Like @DeNiro mentioned, Tocchet wants size on the back end, something Rathbone won't be able to develop. 

I’m going low brow here but maybe like Jack’s last name suggests, he’s a grower not a show-er?

I’ll excuse myself now. 

• Haha 3

On 9/10/2023 at 11:19 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

So far his rookie season has been his best. I'm not sure if it's injury, or players have figured him out. I like Hoglander. But I'm concerned he's just not in the cards long term for the club.

Yes.   Pearson.  Doubt Hoglander gets Joshua's spot on the left side.    Kuzemenko, Beau and Pearson are locks.    If Mikheyev starts on the IR, which is possible,  maybe they have Hogs on his off wing.    But that also means they send Podz down... Ideally he has a killer pre-season which forces Allvin to trade Beau early.   Might cost us to move him, but if Hogs can pot 20 goals on the third line totally worth it. 

• Cheers 1

As for Rathbone, not sure why folks think he's slipped so far down the depth chart.   On one hand,  he's always considered a "sweetener" on any deal, but Hirose, Wolanin, or Brisbois are rarely if ever mentioned that way, because we know we'd be lucky to get anything for them.   Agree with those saying he's not a good fit with QHs already.   Although he could run the second unit, is still very young for a D.  

Wolanin, Irwin and Brisbois seen the likely candidates (Irwin's spot to lose for sure, he's an actual NHLer, tough as nails and close to local kid).    Wolanin AHL all-star (Rathbone's been there too),  actually played very well last camp,  and made the most of his NHL games.    I'd have him then Brisbois.   Hirose I don't think can defend well enough.    You need those guys to be able to PK if needed too.   Don't like QHs playing the first unit that's for sure.   If Rathbones in, likely means someone is injured.   If PK minutes are needed, Brisbois is probably the best candidate (say Soucy is out).   

Funny, Rathbone is the same size as Hronek.   But the kids absolutely jacked, like Hogs, and getting more jacked.    Tochett might appreciate that.    Who really knows, if he has a ridiculously good camp, they have to consider him.    With the average size of the NHL players now reaching mid-late 80's levels,  Rathbone won't have as much trouble with forwards as some people think,  but he needs to anticipate and position himself better.   I do agree he's not a good fit.    He'd have to do something pretty unreal to get another shot out of camp.

Irwin, Wolanin/Brisbois, Rathbone/Hirose for LHD.   Based on our team makeup.  

Rathbone has an uphill battle for sure.   Best case for him (and not the team) is we have a rash of injuries.   And when he gets his shot, he duplicates his ability in the AHL - at the NHL level.   Kid can rack up points and score goals.   Probably should have played as a forward instead. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

On 9/11/2023 at 2:14 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

I think the consideration is who will we take a chance on to clear waivers. If and when the player gets sent down. Some guys are in danger of getting claimed for free.

At this point in the game, that's ok.   It's what happens to teams as they get better and take a step in their cycle.  Personally think they should change the rules a little.   Add one more season or year.   Most D's aren't ready until they are 22, he's 24 now and he's run out of road.   Hope he is picked up for his sake. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

As for Rathbone, not sure why folks think he's slipped so far down the depth chart.   On one hand,  he's always considered a "sweetener" on any deal, but Hirose, Wolanin, or Brisbois are rarely if ever mentioned that way, because we know we'd be lucky to get anything for them.   Agree with those saying he's not a good fit with QHs already.   Although he could run the second unit, is still very young for a D.  

Wolanin, Irwin and Brisbois seen the likely candidates (Irwin's spot to lose for sure, he's an actual NHLer, tough as nails and close to local kid).    Wolanin AHL all-star (Rathbone's been there too),  actually played very well last camp,  and made the most of his NHL games.    I'd have him then Brisbois.   Hirose I don't think can defend well enough.    You need those guys to be able to PK if needed too.   Don't like QHs playing the first unit that's for sure.   If Rathbones in, likely means someone is injured.   If PK minutes are needed, Brisbois is probably the best candidate (say Soucy is out).   

Funny, Rathbone is the same size as Hronek.   But the kids absolutely jacked, like Hogs, and getting more jacked.    Tochett might appreciate that.    Who really knows, if he has a ridiculously good camp, they have to consider him.    With the average size of the NHL players now reaching mid-late 80's levels,  Rathbone won't have as much trouble with forwards as some people think,  but he needs to anticipate and position himself better.   I do agree he's not a good fit.    He'd have to do something pretty unreal to get another shot out of camp.

Irwin, Wolanin/Brisbois, Rathbone/Hirose for LHD.   Based on our team makeup.  

Rathbone has an uphill battle for sure.   Best case for him (and not the team) is we have a rash of injuries.   And when he gets his shot, he duplicates his ability in the AHL - at the NHL level.   Kid can rack up points and score goals.   Probably should have played as a forward instead. 

Unless he becomes a better defender, I can't see him anywhere in the line up. 
offense is not the big problem for this group, its keeping the puck out of the net. 
i was very high on him, but was disappointed last year, when he got his chance. 

I think, he'll be used in a trade as there are still a chance he'll make it. 

• Cheers 1