The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Canucks: How fatherhood fuelled Vasily Podkolzin with added NHL incentive

Rate this topic

RWJC

1 hour ago, Ted Lasso said:

Just thinking about which prospects would make the biggest impact IF they could take a big step this year…

Podz is our only power forward who’s close, and we need more size/toughness throughout the lineup.

Hogz n podz tied for me.  We need them both to be top 9 guys for us this yr

• Cheers 3

Podz reaching his potential is like a lab made winger for EP. If he comes in flying our lines fit together much better. Still don’t know how to fit all the wingers in. 
I said going into last year that our best chance for improvement was to see Podz improve. 
He had off year and so did we. 
We see these stories every year of this player coming in in best shape ever. This year alone we have Podz, Kuz and Brock all coming in in best shape ever. 
Professional athletes don’t deserve pats on the head for coming in in shape. That should be the expectation.
How much money did you take before deciding to act like a professional?  

These guys have had trainers and dieticians since they were 10 if they didn’t know what to do before now that was arrogance and willful ignorance. 

• Cheers 2

Maybe I'm overrating Podz and Hogz, but I genuinely feel like if these guys have breakout years, this team will look extremely different and be more than just a fringe playoff team. Really feel like Podz especially has star potential - really hope he can put it together, would be the perfect winger for Petey.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

Just thinking about which prospects would make the biggest impact IF they could take a big step this year…

Podz is our only power forward who’s close, and we need more size/toughness throughout the lineup.

Pretty sure Hogs is waived.   With Ilya M not been rushed or used in the pre-season, teams best off keeping him on the LTIR, and giving a spot on the right side for Podz.    As of now that means PDG is bumped then, even with Mikheyev.   Studnicka is also our only RHC, so that means he's bumped too, 3 guys, just to make room for Podz.   As for Hogs,  Kuzmenko, Beau, Pearson are locks, and we already know Tochett likes Joshua.    One of those guys likely has to go down in camp for Hogs to get a shot. 

Edit:  I see Podz making the team out of camp in the bottom six, the nice thing about his game, even if the offense never comes, he's still an effective checker.  A healthy team would have to do something bold like waiving Joshua Beau, or Pearson to add both guys.

Edited by IBatch

55 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

Maybe I'm overrating Podz and Hogz, but I genuinely feel like if these guys have breakout years, this team will look extremely different and be more than just a fringe playoff team. Really feel like Podz especially has star potential - really hope he can put it together, would be the perfect winger for Petey.

If they both work out, it's likely a result of injuries.   If they earn spots in the top six and bump guys, then yes, we will be an absolute force.   That means we can create a third line, that can score, and a shut down line.    Or two, two way bottom six lines. 

Edited by IBatch

15 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

My understanding of new parents is that they simply abandon any semblance of a sleep schedule.  Oh well!

That was true for my wife and I, but if we were millionaires, we definitely would have hired a nanny to make our lives easier. Some fussy babies are an incredible amount of work and having extra help would be amazing.

14 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Podz reaching his potential is like a lab made winger for EP. If he comes in flying our lines fit together much better. Still don’t know how to fit all the wingers in. 
I said going into last year that our best chance for improvement was to see Podz improve. 
He had off year and so did we. 
We see these stories every year of this player coming in in best shape ever. This year alone we have Podz, Kuz and Brock all coming in in best shape ever. 
Professional athletes don’t deserve pats on the head for coming in in shape. That should be the expectation.
How much money did you take before deciding to act like a professional?  

These guys have had trainers and dieticians since they were 10 if they didn’t know what to do before now that was arrogance and willful ignorance. 

100% agree. Once he hits his stride I think he’d be the perfect compliment to Pete and Kuz, which certainly go a long way for us. 

Nice to hear an article focused on Podz, because he's obviously my favorite player.  But gotta say, it shouldn't take having a child to motivate you to get to another level.  Regardless, if that helps Podz great... It seemed to help Bo during the bubble playoffs as well but...

The young man just needs to get out of his own way and kick some ass!  He is a bull, through and through, it's all about confidence for him. 

I don't believe we've even seen what he could be in the slightest yet.  I expect a game changer.  A guy that can almost single handedly put the team in his back and will a win by using that blistering snap shot or physically imposing his will and just bowling his way to the net and score.  Hopefully this is the year... And if so, his effectiveness will correlate with the team making some noise, should they make the playoffs. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, sashimii said:

Dude who wrote this? You can't just copy and paste a news article without crediting the writer.

Next time just post a link the story or something this is hella sus lol.

There ya go. Simple error in cut/paste. I post frequently so just must have missed in formatting.

That said, you’re welcome for it being posted in the first place. And as well, some folks want to read it directly so consider them as well, hmmm? 

Hella sus? Gimme a break. 
Why don’t you try contributing something…10 posts since 2021.

Complaining is the best you’ve got?

Some people just like to bitch I guess. Or act like one anyway. Congrats.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1