The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Latest on OTT Shane Pinto

RWJC

Latest On Shane Pinto

September 15th, 2023 at 8:23pm CST • By Brennan McClain

The NHL continues to crawl closer to the start of training camp, and as usual, most teams have done much of their heavy lifting already, eager to see how new acquisitions mesh with their new teams. Unfortunately for the Ottawa Senators, they are still left without a contract for their sixth-highest goal-scorer during the 2021-22 season, Shane Pinto.

Only last week, the Boston Bruins, who much like the Senators have little salary cap flexibility to work with, had a reported interest in acquiring Pinto to fill their newfound void at the center position. Nevertheless, only a day later, Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet spoke candidlyabout Pinto’s situation, describing that Ottawa would need to make a trade to fit him under the salary cap for the upcoming season.

It’s no surprise as to why the Senators would want to extend Pinto, as well as the reported outside interest from other teams around the league. At 22 years old, Pinto is coming off a 20-goal season and should come at a fairly cheap price as he is coming off of his entry-level contract.

Speaking in place for new owner Michael Andlauer during Ottawa Mayor Mark Sutcliffe‘s monthly breakfast at City Hall, General Manager of the Senators, Pierre Dorion spoke to the situation surrounding the contract of Pinto.

Dorion noted that both sides are hoping to have a deal done by next Tuesday, which could provide a resolution by the end of the upcoming weekend. However, Dorion did acknowledge there still is a gap between the two parties, and that the team does need to move a contract of magnitude in order to keep Pinto in the fold for the 2023-24 season. Dorion said, “We’re working on that one (Pinto), hard. We’d like to see him next week when we open camp“.

Whatever the outcome is for this ordeal, it’s important to point out that the Ottawa organization should be uniquely busy this weekend, unlike most teams during this time of the year. As things currently stand, the Senators have approximately $895K in cap space, and will likely need to free up around $900K-$1MM to sign Pinto comfortably. Whether it comes through a small deal, or even some roster manipulation by Dorion, a solution should be arranged by early next week.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/09/latest-on-shane-pinto.html#ref=home

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

ottawa is probably just waiting for the NHL to release the sex scandal investigation  result and suspend batherson so they can move on and terminate his contract at this point.. batherson was one of the few that never made a statement outright denying his involvement like others. so once he's gone they have plenty of cap space.. even if they don't terminate his contract but they suspend him for the season.. that'll free ottawa from their cap hell as 5mil falls off their dead cap next season.

High volume of FO taken with a 52% win rate is nice for a young guy. That with his potential you’d think he’s at the very least a 3rd line center with potential. If you can get him on the cheap I’d be very happy with trading for him. Podkolzin or Hoglander with a pick is an easy trade. We just have too many wingers down the pipeline of prospects and not enough centers.

19 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

High volume of FO taken with a 52% win rate is nice for a young guy. That with his potential you’d think he’s at the very least a 3rd line center with potential. If you can get him on the cheap I’d be very happy with trading for him. Podkolzin or Hoglander with a pick is an easy trade. We just have too many wingers down the pipeline of prospects and not enough centers.

Hogs would be the better option to move at this point in time. Podz has size and can still adapt his game to different roles. Love Hogs, but he’s unfortunately more expendable to me at this point. 

22 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Hogs would be the better option to move at this point in time. Podz has size and can still adapt his game to different roles. Love Hogs, but he’s unfortunately more expendable to me at this point. 

Yeah I feel that too but included both because I’m sure every team probably sees it this way as well and would prefer Podkolzin. I’d love to move Hogs and a pick for him but like the poster above its likely Podkolzin.