The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

The director of Battle of the Bastards also directed this episode... and he'll be directing episode 5, so you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be a major battle then as well. 

I get the idea behind shooting in the darkness to try and give the viewer the same sense of how the characters are experiencing the battle, but it just didn't have that same effect as in BotB. I felt suffocated during that scene. 

I wonder if Missandei will tell Dany about the conversation Tyrion and Sansa had in the crypt? It also definitely feels like Sansa basically ordering Tyrion to stay in the cave was to set up his chance for redemption when they battle Cersei. 

I had trouble understand what Brann was doing when he warged into the three-eyed ravens. Was he maybe using them to help drop Arya onto the Night King? GoT doesn't usually spend a lot of time of flashbacks, so I'm not sure we'll get an answer unless Arya explains... which will be far less interesting than simply showing what happened.

Lyanna said that soldiers from Bear Island fight with the strength of ten men, so it makes sense that she was able to kill a giant ten times the size of her.

In the post-show interview with the showrunners, they talked about needing to take the time to give characters like Lyanna and Jorah a meaningful death. I think this is the complete opposite philosophy of Martin, which is why his books and the shows first seasons were so interesting. Nobody was safe and deaths were unexpected. The idea that the showrunners have to show loyalty to an actor by giving their character a meaningful death is not really in the spirit of the show.

It makes sense to me that Gendry survived; he is the bastard son of basically one of the best fighters in the history of Westeros. Sam surviving made less sense. 

All that said, I think it must be a ridiculously difficult job to try and capture important moments for 19 different characters in just 90 minutes. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I would've liked to see the Dothraki on the front line with a very heavy archer presence behind them raining fire on the walkers as they advance. Along with the catapults. As the walkers get too close, the archers can fall back, kind of like how everyone did once they realized they were losing, and man the walls while the Dothraki fight and unsullied advance. I'm not a military strategist but this seems to make more sense than the blind charge into the dark. It was eerie how all the flaming swords went out and everyone back at Winterfell was major league $&!#ting their pants.

Willie D taught them strategy.  Who needs line matching?  Just roll 4 lines even when your #1 line is doing well.  Who needs your calvary attacking the enemy flanks like they actually did in real life.  Just do a suicidal charge straight at the enemy's strong point. 

Sun Tzu would be rolling in his grave if lived in Westeros.:P

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Do you remember the scene I'm talking about? It was when they were strategizing about how they will face the WWs. They knew that the NK had to be killed to win this battle, so they purposely put Bran where they did to draw the NK to. It was explained why the NK would target Bran and how the NK would know where Bran would be. I'm not really sure if they can expand more into it other than how it was explained already.

I remember. It just seems like a weird reason to target him specifically, personally, if your goal is to destroy Westeros. His death will come not before long. 

39 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think it was explained in one of the first two episodes this season. Something about the difference between the dead and the living are the memories, so killing Bran would erase all memory. Probably not explaining it correctly, but I remember them talking about it this season.

Yeah, this is exactly how I see it. Basically Bran and the Night King are foils for each other. Bran sees everyone's experiences and memories. He is basically like a library for all of humanity that allows its history to live on. Destroy Bran and you destroy memories, which is what separates the living from the dead. Destroy the Night King and you destroy the ability for the undead to live on. Killing the Night King is the most efficient way to end the war, just as killing Bran is the most efficient way for the Night King to win. 

7 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

The director of Battle of the Bastards also directed this episode... and he'll be directing episode 5, so you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be a major battle then as well. 

I get the idea behind shooting in the darkness to try and give the viewer the same sense of how the characters are experiencing the battle, but it just didn't have that same effect as in BotB. I felt suffocated during that scene. 

I wonder if Missandei will tell Dany about the conversation Tyrion and Sansa had in the crypt? It also definitely feels like Sansa basically ordering Tyrion to stay in the cave was to set up his chance for redemption when they battle Cersei. 

I had trouble understand what Brann was doing when he warged into the three-eyed ravens. Was he maybe using them to help drop Arya onto the Night King? GoT doesn't usually spend a lot of time of flashbacks, so I'm not sure we'll get an answer unless Arya explains... which will be far less interesting than simply showing what happened.

Lyanna said that soldiers from Bear Island fight with the strength of ten men, so it makes sense that she was able to kill a giant ten times the size of her.

In the post-show interview with the showrunners, they talked about needing to take the time to give characters like Lyanna and Jorah a meaningful death. I think this is the complete opposite philosophy of Martin, which is why his books and the shows first seasons were so interesting. Nobody was safe and deaths were unexpected. The idea that the showrunners have to show loyalty to an actor by giving their character a meaningful death is not really in the spirit of the show.

It makes sense to me that Gendry survived; he is the bastard son of basically one of the best fighters in the history of Westeros. Sam surviving made less sense. 

All that said, I think it must be a ridiculously difficult job to try and capture important moments for 19 different characters in just 90 minutes. 

last night you probably could've killed off Brienne, Sam, and probably Davos too as much as I like him and not effect the final episodes much. And this probably has nothing to do with it but other HBO shows like Oz have been criticized as feeling rushed and killing off all of the main characters so perhaps they are trying to avoid that here. But yes, that's something that made the first seasons of this show so great: you never felt anybody was safe. I had no idea Sean Bean would die in season one .. then he did. I was like, no way Robb and Catelyn will die.. then they did. 

8 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I remember. It just seems like a weird reason to target him specifically, personally, if your goal is to destroy Westeros. His death will come not before long. 

Because the Night King is a Stark and we all know Stark's do dumb azz things.:P

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Because the Knight King is a Stark and we all know Stark's do dumb azz things.:P

Maybe. I just keep thinking there is more to it. Like he has some unrevealed power that could've defeated the walkers, or something. Bran can't hide from NK because of the mark so it seemed like an illogical choice to target him so directly. But if you only have the budget for x episodes and this is the final season then it has to end somehow. 

along  with some of the other complaints on here, I found it odd how the dead breached the castle and it showed a continous stream of them charging in, then we have about 25-30 minutes of Arya tip toeing around some dead in that room, then running for her life , then some dragon fighting , the knight king getting defeated and when they show the dead shattering into ice they still showed that the steady stream were storming the castle.. How is anyone still alive inside ? That castle should have been filled with the dead out numbering every human 10-1

5 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

A question:  when Melisandre, the Red Woman, walked off into the snow at the end, she fell down (dead?) in the distance and it appeared to me as though her hair was blond when she fell.

Was I imagining things?

She reverted back as an old woman (white hair) without her amulet / necklace. 

43 minutes ago, TheAce said:

along  with some of the other complaints on here, I found it odd how the dead breached the castle and it showed a continous stream of them charging in, then we have about 25-30 minutes of Arya tip toeing around some dead in that room, then running for her life , then some dragon fighting , the knight king getting defeated and when they show the dead shattering into ice they still showed that the steady stream were storming the castle.. How is anyone still alive inside ? That castle should have been filled with the dead out numbering every human 10-1

Just for dramatic effect, I guess. HBO I think determines how long the season is and the budgeting too. People critical of the season duration or this episode need to remember that. It has to end somehow and it has to be done quick. Which is why I was saying HBO has done this before with other shows where the final season feels rushed. 

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I don't think the NK's goal is to destroy Westeros. His goal is to simply destroy everything and ultimately life. As Bran explained, he (the memories) was what separated life and death, so NK's goal was to kill Bran. There could be more to it, but if not, I think it's pretty much explained for me at least (but I'm not against being shocked about something else!)

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

I believe when Bran warges into the three-eyed raven, the NK is able to know where he is. I believe Bran was simply drawing the NK to him which was their plan to get the NK to come out from behind his forces which would've been pretty much impossible to beat due to being massively outnumbered. If Bran didn't do this, the NK could've easily just hung back and let the dead destroy everything.

I agree that the first few seasons had so many shocking deaths and didn't fit into the normal show where the "good guys" always make it through and that was what made the show so intriguing even without the major production. Now it seems to have become all about the production (which is still entertaining) and the good guys seem to be able to beat the odds which is more along the lines of the feel good story which is very played out. At the end of the day, they know this is the final season, so it's pretty much a farewell to all the characters, so they will want the "heroes" to die a valiant death if they do come to that. And like every other show, it's really hard to find that perfect ending.

6 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I'm on vacation when the next two episodes air. 

How in the red God's name am I going to avoid spoilers for two whole weeks?

Avoid all social media, including this forum. Watch the two episodes as soon as you return.