1180 replies to this topic

#631 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Anyone know when Corrado will resume playing for the Wolves in the OHL? I imagine he's not in any hurry, given how distraught he must feel. The guy had a GREAT camp and outplayed several more highly billed players and only got cut to show for it.

#632 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Frank Corrado@frankcorrado22
Just a quick heads up I'll be on the Team 1040 in about 5 minutes

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#633 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

I get that we're dissappointed that Frankie didn't make the team, as it does make the games more exciting with a Nuck prospect playing. But saying you don't support Team Canada, or even worse, saying that you'll cheer against them is so juvenile. Do people not understand that domination at the junior level indicates a superior skill level and training program? Would you like to see Canada become lower in the world rankings because Corrado didn't make the team? Yikes!

#634 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

Why did they bother having this stupid camp? It was just a waste of time. The best players (imo) in the camp were MacKinnon, Shinkaruk, Brussoit and Corrado. The fact only 1 of those 4 (and MacKinnon probably would have been chosen even with a bad camp) shows that Hockey Canada had already chosen their team. All this camp did was make 12 players miserable.

It's true. Really going in to a three day camp you do have to have a pretty good idea of your team but it seems pretty hard to make it from camp if you aren't on the list. Lots of those guys played in the challenge series last summer and if Murray had of been healthy all seven D would have been from that club. Spott coached that team as well and those guys have international experience that the other guys just don't have. And they also have a lot longer with the coaches. How much have the coaches seen of guys like Corrado that just come to the fall camp? It's a huge disadvantage for those players.

And to those that think cutting Corrado means Canada will have are hard time? Really? I wish he would have made it but there is some serious talent on that team. Having guys like RNH, Harrington, Hamilton, Strome, Scheifele, Hubredeau are going to make this team very tough to beat.

#635 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Corrado was one of the most stand out d-men at the camp. I don't see why team Canada would have not picked him. Dumba failed to impress me in any sort of way, and murphy was invisible half the time.

R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
rsz_sam_reinhart.jpg

medium.pngColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#636 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

Even Sidney Crosby didn't make the olympic team in 2006, sh!t happens. Move on

#637 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

No sadly there was a political element to the decision. Those who were watching on Fasthockey were privy to a discussion between a ton of scouts who all said Frank's quality of play made him a lock. He was just in another league compared to the other d men. This kid belongs next to Hamilton/Murray/Harrington/Reilly.

great, now all the armchair GM's will toss Corrado into the mix in their proposals...

#638 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

Even Sidney Crosby didn't make the olympic team in 2006, sh!t happens. Move on

and we all know how well that turned out... being complacent in the failures of today because of the failures of the past is a cycle that dooms itself to infinite repetition.

I don't support someone suddenly cheering for another nation's team just because Francesco was cut though. If you are Canadian, cheer for your home country... Seriously.

Edited by avelanch, 14 December 2012 - 06:06 PM.

#639 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

and we all know how well that turned out... being complacent in the failures of today because of the failures of the past is a cycle that dooms itself to infinite repetition.

well Stamkos didn't make it in 2010, but that turned out ok. he'll be a lock for Sochi though

Edited by Primus099, 14 December 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#640 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

Hamhuis could well make the 2014 roster, he's becoming more known now. He brings a steadiness and a two way game team Canada could use.

I agree, he would be a great guy to have, in contrast to some of the more risk taking guys that maybe bring more offense but not as much reliability.

zackass.png

#641 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,985 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Corrado with 1 goal so far with a period and a half to go in his first game back from camp.

I would say he's playing with a little fire in his belly now.

Edited by DeNiro, 14 December 2012 - 06:39 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#642 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

team 1040 interview from this morning

#643 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for posting^ Was looking for it earlier and it wasn't wast posted on Team1040.ca at the time.

So glad we have this guy, so class and humble, knows he played well and as he said is focused on making the NHL, hopefully it happens sooner rather than later.

zackass.png

#644 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

Thanks for posting^ Was looking for it earlier and it wasn't wast posted on Team1040.ca at the time.

So glad we have this guy, so class and humble, knows he played well and as he said is focused on making the NHL, hopefully it happens sooner rather than later.

As a kid still in the OHL, I'm sure Frankie (like most other players) frequently wondered if he was good enough to make the NHL. His draft position likely made him question that even more. Now, after showing up a lot of seriously talented players, I think he's got the confidence to be damn good in a couple years.

Keswho.jpg

#645 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

Corrado finished the game with a goal and a +2 rating in a 7-3 win for the Sudbury Wolves over the Plymouth Whalers.

Nice return for Frankie. Hopefully he goes on a tear from here on out.

#646 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

Don't worry guys.
Frankie says "RELAX"

This has got to be disappointed for our boy.
But I don't think the WJC is the pinnacle of his career.

It'll be a great motivator, and once he's in the bigs, he'll be laughing about this

#647 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

As a kid still in the OHL, I'm sure Frankie (like most other players) frequently wondered if he was good enough to make the NHL. His draft position likely made him question that even more. Now, after showing up a lot of seriously talented players, I think he's got the confidence to be damn good in a couple years.

Yeah I agree, I could see him as a good #3 in the NHL someday to be perfectly honest. He has the drive and tons of tools, all he has done is impress & get better since day one in our organization.

Really excited once this kid makes the big club, great pick.

zackass.png

#648 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,645 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:18 AM

great, now all the armchair GM's will toss Corrado into the mix in their proposals...

lol... Raymond Corrado and a 1st.

#649 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

Couple of things from that interview that I liked, and perhaps reading too much into the kid but don't think so given how far he's come in such a short period.

1. He knows he can compete with the best young players in Canada. I am sure he had confidence before, but this may just give him that extra inch he'll need when it comes time.

2. Thankful to all those who tweeted and supported - humble

3. Life lesson 'Life isn't always fair' - Motivation, focus when its going to really matter. We make it back to the cup one day and if he's on that team (which I have a feeling as I said, this kid is going to wear a letter on the Canucks one day) he will remember this.

It's funny, everyone thought the loss of CoHo meant we lost our Linden. I have a weird feeling (and people I understand will say way to early etc, but I have watched alot of this kid on TV and watched his development since drafted) that we may just have found the "real next Linden". He has all the qualities in a leader.

a. He has come from being average to a potential top teir player (you don't get an invite to the camp unless you're one of the top 30 players in the best hockey country in the world, and he should be on that team, so he's really a top 22).

b. Key there is the development. Just like a Burrows, etc, when you come from 'earning' it vs. naturally 'having it' (and yes all players do earn but at younger ages there is often a natural ability that separates - those who work hard with natural abilities turn into greats, those with natural abilities who don't work hard flop, and sometimes those with decent abilities with terrific heart and determination, turn into greats as well).

c. He is already the captain of this junior team which shows he has the intangibles.

d. Players who work as hard as he does, set an example for the rest of the team, they see a guy with decent talent that has worked himself into being an upper echelon player (at least in junior thus far), that is a guy players will follow, will listen to, because he's in the trenches working his tail off. = Character and drive, heart.

e. Every Canuck captain if you look back in history has been like that (at least since I've watched). Smyl, small in stature, HUGE in heart, boy did he bring it every night. Linden, good skills, heart of a lion. Nazzy, came from high expectations to confidence issues, to rebuilding from nothing and turning into a star, worked at it. Henrik started on the 3rd line and improved every year. A consistent trait amongst all these guys was not above average skill sets vis a vis NHL peers day one (ie even Henrik and Nazzy while highly touted didn't come in like a Crosby, Stamkos, etc,) it was work ethic and development, improving their skill sets through desire. He has that.

This kid is going to be a Captain on the Canucks. Set this aside for 7-9 years and revisit it. But that's my call.

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 15 December 2012 - 06:47 AM.

#650 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 36,238 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

raymond lou and corrado for crosby...

#651 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

I wouldn't want to see him traded but he has added an interesting dynamic to that trade. GM's will know who this kid is now...so our asset value of our prospects just increased.

Challenge would be...if it means getting a better forward prospect back do you do it? He's unproven at the next level but given my post above and his trajectory you want to say no bc anyone coming back unless proven is more risk (as you haven't seen that player enough)..but asset mgmt, risk that he doesn't continue on that trajectory etc...say maybe..

Hard decisions may await MG bc my guess is any GM worth their salt is going to inquire about this kid in any trade with the Nucks.

#652 pibroch

pibroch

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

Couple of things from that interview that I liked, and perhaps reading too much into the kid but don't think so given how far he's come in such a short period.

1. He knows he can compete with the best young players in Canada. I am sure he had confidence before, but this may just give him that extra inch he'll need when it comes time.

2. Thankful to all those who tweeted and supported - humble

3. Life lesson 'Life isn't always fair' - Motivation, focus when its going to really matter. We make it back to the cup one day and if he's on that team (which I have a feeling as I said, this kid is going to wear a letter on the Canucks one day) he will remember this.

It's funny, everyone thought the loss of CoHo meant we lost our Linden. I have a weird feeling (and people I understand will say way to early etc, but I have watched alot of this kid on TV and watched his development since drafted) that we may just have found the "real next Linden". He has all the qualities in a leader.

a. He has come from being average to a potential top teir player (you don't get an invite to the camp unless you're one of the top 30 players in the best hockey country in the world, and he should be on that team, so he's really a top 22).

b. Key there is the development. Just like a Burrows, etc, when you come from 'earning' it vs. naturally 'having it' (and yes all players do earn but at younger ages there is often a natural ability that separates - those who work hard with natural abilities turn into greats, those with natural abilities who don't work hard flop, and sometimes those with decent abilities with terrific heart and determination, turn into greats as well).

c. He is already the captain of this junior team which shows he has the intangibles.

d. Players who work as hard as he does, set an example for the rest of the team, they see a guy with decent talent that has worked himself into being an upper echelon player (at least in junior thus far), that is a guy players will follow, will listen to, because he's in the trenches working his tail off. = Character and drive, heart.

e. Every Canuck captain if you look back in history has been like that (at least since I've watched). Smyl, small in stature, HUGE in heart, boy did he bring it every night. Linden, good skills, heart of a lion. Nazzy, came from high expectations to confidence issues, to rebuilding from nothing and turning into a star, worked at it. Henrik started on the 3rd line and improved every year. A consistent trait amongst all these guys was not above average skill sets vis a vis NHL peers day one (ie even Henrik and Nazzy while highly touted didn't come in like a Crosby, Stamkos, etc,) it was work ethic and development, improving their skill sets through desire. He has that.

This kid is going to be a Captain on the Canucks. Set this aside for 7-9 years and revisit it. But that's my call.

That's exactly what I think too, he's a Linden who plays defense.

#653 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

oh god here comes the hype train

#654 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

oh god here comes the hype train

Hype trains been running all week, except people were starting to realize that Canucks fans weren't just overhyping their player.
:bigblush:

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#655 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Corrado picked up an assist on the powerplay, an even rating and two penalty minutes in a 3-2 OT loss to the Niagra IceDogs tonight.

#656 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

Corrado had no points, 2 PIMS and was even on the night for the Sudbury Wolves in a 4-1 win over the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds tonight.

#657 mrsasaki

mrsasaki

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

Lp

#658 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 35,945 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

lp

suffer.gif

#659 CHodgson9

CHodgson9

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

After watching the WJHC loss to the US where Canada got stomped 5-1, it really appears Canada could have used a more stable presence on D, who wasn't flashy but got the job done.

I would've loved to see Corrado on the WJHC roster.
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Ghandi

#660 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,645 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

After watching the WJHC loss to the US where Canada got stomped 5-1, it really appears Canada could have used a more stable presence on D, who wasn't flashy but got the job done.

I would've loved to see Corrado on the WJHC roster.

This..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.