The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MG on the Team

nuck nit

1. Boston's unbelievably high energy level was due to what? HGH?

2. The Detroit model isn't a permanently-fixed one. They have had a lot toughness and grit in the past. The recent past. And are arguably tougher than us now. Esp. on the wings and top-4 D.

3. We can win one game, yes, but what about a series? If we win a game, but lose a player or two, then we will NOT win a series against a team with similar depth.

4. Getting 4th line help is about all we can do while being pressed against the cap. There is a bit too much wasted cap space imo.

TOML

2. The Detroit model isn't a permanently-fixed one. They have had a lot toughness and grit in the past. The recent past. And are arguably tougher than us now. Esp. on the wings and top-4 D.

3. We can win one game, yes, but what about a series? If we win a game, but lose a player or two, then we will NOT win a series against a team with similar depth.

4. Getting 4th line help is about all we can do while being pressed against the cap. There is a bit too much wasted cap space imo.

TOML

So - MG is huntin' for an additional volpatti /weise-type. 'Nucks also need another top-notch d-man. Agree with targetting either Weber, Suter or Liles. Best fit - Weber who shoots right.

Bieksa & Hamhuis

Salo & Edler

(Weber) & Rome (Liles)

Tanev & Ballard (Suter)

New d-men need a period of adjustment before taking on big minutes. Also wonderin' when Tanev will get another shot - playin' in the Bigs.

Sulzer & Alberts are servicable depth d-men. But for the bucks - Ballard is high-risk on so many fronts. He's over-anxious on the ice. I'm just one fan who's not patient enough to wait & see if this guy can eventually bring the team some measurable reward.

Maybe but I dont read it that way (at least no the way teh OP reports it).

Sounds like he is saying they signed what they need for the 4th line (a problem last year) and are on the lookout for another forward that can fill a void. I see this as a top 6 forward with grit that can score.

Our 2nd line is not productive enought to carry the load when the Sedins are off or shut down.

Time will tell.

I just don't see us getting weber without overpaying big time.. I'd rather get a Gleason type to help us this year rather than trade all of our prospects for weber. We can try and sign him in the offseason

Wouldn't it be hilarious to wake up on deadline day and see that we actually got weber for Raymond Ballard and a 1st lol

lr

Sounds like he is saying they signed what they need for the 4th line (a problem last year) and are on the lookout for another forward that can fill a void. I see this as a top 6 forward with grit that can score.

Our 2nd line is not productive enough to carry the load when the Sedins are off or shut down.

Time will tell.

The perfect 4th liner; is a guy willing to do the dirty work to earn his spot who might play on a higher line on another team. Kris Versteeg comes to mind, but also the Brad Marchand and Alex Burrows of the world who have already moved up (even on good teams). There has almost always been a "Claude Lemiuex", despised on opponents, capable of stirring up goals and trouble on every cup team?

Not necessarily an enforcer.

So who might that guy be for us?

I like Tom Kostoupolis? Not really a goal scorer, but can skate, hit and hold his own. UFA at year end; probably 1 3rd round pick and $917k cap hit.

In St. Louis.

Florida-guys out of gas in Florida and better last night.

Boston-energy level unbelievably high.Their fans after a certain thing.Our guys are mature enough to be patient and play their game.

That team we played n Saturday played as good as any game they played in the finals.

We have modelled this team after Detroit.

We are open and in discussions with other teams.

If you stick with it and play the best you can play you will come out with a win.

We are looking for more balance.We signed fourth line needs.We are still looking for a player that can play and add things we don't have now.

We are looking in every area.

There's been a lot said about the officiating of last year.It is an evolution.

Not talking about Marchand.

Future of hip checks? Viable checks.Not going to go away.Discrepancy in player's sizes now vs the past.

Hip on hip is a fair and viable hit.

Boston media is remarkable.Very different landscape from when I was there.

Skilled teams that can play hard physical hockey is better for all of us and is the future of the NHL,IMO.

Not sure everything that happened in the Boston game is good for hockey.

As soon as dreamers put a real deal on the table Weber becomes more realistic. The deal which makes sense both ways is Weber for Edler, Raymond & something > First, Schroeder...?

Cant put play money in the slot machine!

I just don't see us getting weber without overpaying big time.. I'd rather get a Gleason type to help us this year rather than trade all of our prospects for weber. We can try and sign him in the offseason

Wouldn't it be hilarious to wake up on deadline day and see that we actually got weber for Raymond Ballard and a 1st lol

"Energy level IN Boston;" pretty sure he was talking about us as much as the Bruins. Funny how he called out their fans > "it's obvious what they were out for?"

And you are right on item 3; how do we win a series if two guys get injured each game by physical play? We can win one game on the PP, maybe 2 or 3, but we still need guys left to stand up.

So I believe our #1 target is some size; 1 guy up front and one on D. I'm on record as happy with rentals Kostoupolis (open to others) and Kubina. Did you see his shot (for a 238 lb defender) that he wrang off the crossbar over Schneidermans left shoulder, which rebounded for that 3rd period goal yesterday?

TOML

Archived