The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coach Vigneault’S Time In Vancouver Is Nearing End

Sully2Cool

It’s hard not to over-react to the play of the Vancouver Canucks lately, given that this team has already shown what it can do when it feels like it.

But when they don’t feel like it, and you’re trying to make sense of it from the outside, there are very few things you can conclude — other than how this arrangement whereby the division winner is guaranteed a top-three finish isn’t working out as well as it has for the NHL in other years.

Many feel that Canucks coach Alain Vigneault, having been with this group seemingly since it was formed, largely steps aside and lets the leadership group do most of the motivating, or in this particular case, give instructions on how to put your feet up while still actually skating. But if your coach is that disengaged, what are you really gaining from his presence?

If the coach is in fact still standing in front of his troops, forming game plans and giving instructions, he is either telling these guys to take it easy so you don’t get hurt — a highly unlikely instruction in any dressing room — or it’s clear they have totally tuned the guy out.

Vigneault’s time with this team is surely drawing very near the end because management owes it to the group to give them another coach next year, so as to have a fresh approach before the Sedins get too old to even talk about getting something done five-on-five.

As it is now, talk of a Stanley Cup in this environment is delusional, and if you don’t believe us, just ask Jonathan Toews.

What’s going on now is so unlike the professionalism of last year’s team and you have to wonder what effect it’s having on Zack Kassian and Marc-Andre Gragnani, who came over from Buffalo in the Cody Hodgson deal. Joining a team that was leading the ridiculously tough Western Conference, they probably thought they were going into a room whereby everyone did their utmost every night to make sure the team not only had a chance to win but dominated many games. They probably thought they were coached by somebody whose every word was carefully considered and perhaps even acted upon.

Instead they’ve reached the Vancouver country club where even a sixth defenceman like Aaron Rome is so cocksure of his position in the club pecking order that he chooses to compete when he feels like it with no repercussions whatsoever, other than a little holiday so Gragnani can get into enough games so as to prevent the newcomer from gaining group six free agency.

Imagine what they think about some of the substitutions in the lineup. Mason Raymond is doing absolutely nothing. Nonetheless he’s put on the so-called top line with the Sedins, and against all odds his speed contributes to them showing signs of being good players. While the games he plays with them aren’t all wins, some are, and the Sedin twins look semi-interested even though Raymond achieves nothing statistically himself. So the coach takes him off the top line and right out of the lineup, and replaces him with a slower guy in Dale Weise, who goes to the fourth line and does absolutely nothing.

These two kids think they’re joining a team with one of the best players in the game, U.S. Olympic star and Selke trophy winner Ryan Kesler, who is surely the paragon of all that is aimed for in the sport. They find a guy who plays when he feels like it — not often on the road, which is nothing particularly new — and seems frustrated with having lost a half step of his great speed. They see the shell of a player in Manny Malhotra. They see Alex Edler look like Bobby Orr one night and an Eastern leaguer the next. And heaven knows what other dysfunctions are presented behind the scenes during this paid holiday.

No wonder Kassian appears confused. He doesn’t know whether to go and hit someone and play aggressively, or take it easy like everyone else. Do you take your cue from Chris Higgins or Jannik Hansen?

It’s not just the fans who are confused

Every armachair coach in this city knows better than AV, duh!

Because if a line combination looks good written down in a forum, it must be good in real life. Why doesn't AV just come one here to get his line combinations, clearly everyone on here knows how to coach.

I am sick to death of hearing the negativity surrounding this team. It permeates everywhere in this city, from so called sports journalists, that think they have the inside scoop, to posters on blogs/radio, that think they have what it takes to play or manage this team.....we should just change our name to Vandowner :rolleyes:

Here's Daniel Wagner's (PITB) take on coach V.........

If you’re looking good reasons to fire Alain Vigneault, PITB’s got you covered. The following 16 things would be completely legitimate reasons to fire Alain Vigneault:

1. Gave the access codes for the Caprica military computer network to a Cylon posing as a human woman.

2. Instead of sending Keith Ballard to the press box, ripped out his still beating heart from his chest like Mola Ram.

3. Was responsible for the well-being of the horses on HBO’s “Luck.”

4. Cackled like a madman when it was suggested that Wellwood was “playing like a man possessed” because he is an actual demon that was possessing Wellwood and really appreciated the irony.

5. Is actually D.B. Cooper.

6. Continued to investigate X-Files even after the FBI closed the division and reassigned him to Federal background checks.

7. Borrowed Mike Gillis’s laptop and downloaded 15 Internet Explorer toolbars.

8. Released rage-infected monkeys out into the public.

9. Humiliated Roberto Luongo with new powerplay formation that places him in front of the opponents’ goal “because that’s how teams score against us.”

10. Is the man responsible for bringing former Alcatraz inmates into the future and unleashing them on San Francisco.

11. Tried to write his name in the moon with a laser.

12. Was recently unmasked as the ghost haunting the abandoned amusement park. He would have gotten away with it too, it if it wasn’t for those meddling kids.

13. Refuses to take down his Christmas lights.

14. Recently became a vegan and is soooooo self-righteous about it.

15. Accidentally e-mailed Mike Gillis a copy of his movie script about a savvy French Canadian coach and his super-stupid boss who used to be a player agent.

16. Always caught chewing gum, but never brings enough for everybody.

Personally, I like AV's laid back - "I trust these guys" attitude. He has a core group who have been together for awhile and know what it takes to be successful...they've been there before and know how it feels. There's not much to coach with some of the best in the league, it's about letting them find their game. Standing back and allowing for that to happen vs pushing for it.

No one can "fix" a slump, fatigue or lack of motivation...it comes from within. The best players/teams in the world experience these things at some point but it's about working through them - having the trust of those around you in order to allow you to do so.

Tony G has a lot of insight and can offer more perspective than we can as fans, but I feel he's missing the mark here. This article hints at attitude problems and that there's some lack of direction but the media loves to build stories out of nothing. I'd always given him more credit than this but he sounds like someone, himself, who forgets how to lose. Some have become so accustomed to winning (spoiled?) that they hit the panic button.

This "season" will mean nothing in a matter of weeks - the real show starts with the playoffs. Then I'll buy into assessments of what's right/wrong. Right now, we have the luxury of knowing we'll be there - not long ago, that wasn't always the case. We were the team clawing and fighting to make it to the post season. So things can't be too bad now that we can afford to "coast" in.

I'll re-read the article when I'm not so tired - maybe I've missed something. But I'm disappointed in this kind of article from Tony. He sounds bitter and jaded - maybe he's lacking in direction because "cocksure", "delusional" and "country club" are harsh words. He hints at a poor work ethic with this team, but I dispute that and think they are in "reserve" and just doing what's necessary to hold out and stay healthy. Keeping something in the tank. Sounds like Tony's running on empty and is sputtering out a bunch of garbage.

I don't mind having him as a coach. If we actually confronted him and ask him YOUR MOVE SUCKS,T HIS MOVE SUCKS AND THAT MOVES SUCKS, he will give you probably an explanation that will make us look like idiots , basically he will make a fool out of you. Ya know some of his moves I don't agree with him, but he is a NHL coach, and we are just a bumbs who watch the game from t.v. Nothing more.

AV is toying with lines and d-pairs right now in preparation for the playoffs, and the injures that will surely happen.

These games don't matter in the big picture. AV and the team know it is all about the Cup.

He's giving guys a chance to play with different players, in different roles, so when injuries happen it won't be a shock.

People need to relax. AV and the team are on cruise control for the next 10 games. When the games count, this team will deliver.

100% patented, predictable, and miserable Gallagher...

He has graduated from telling AV how to do his job, to telling MG what will be done with his coach...If MG doesn't listen he will climb the ladder of pretense and suggest that MG's days are numbered. Eventually Gallagher may have to fire ownership himself.

He is more of a lobbyist than a journalist - and has no credibility as far as I am concerned.

AV is not going to be fired. Contrary to popular belief, he is not an idiot and does know what he is doing. He is undoubtedly the best coach in franchise history and took us one game away from the Cup. Gillis has already showed tremendous faith in him and that will continue. There is a fantastic core in place and I believe that Gillis includes AV as part of this core. The team to win it all has been here ever since Vigneault was hired. It'll be up to them, collectively, to put it all together.

Writers like Tony G base their articles on nothing but pure speculation. They know nothing about the players, coach or what goes on in the dressing room or at practice. Most writers have no professional hockey experience. There is no concrete evidence for "AV is going to be fired articles". They write to get readers. It's their job: Find something controversial, connect it to something to do with the team - no matter how vaguely related - and hit print.

AV is not going anywhere, whether anyone likes it or not. And none of us could do a better job.

Don't agree with Tony and most of his opinions. He should use real hockey insights and knowledge rather then ranting his emotions, which oftentimes make him look bad.

If Tony can get a job at The Province, then I'm applying there as a writer once I graduate. There's no way in hell I can fail.

Archived