The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Are You Currently Playing?

Has anyone here ever tried speed running?

I tried doing it with Megaman X, with the goal of beating it in under an hour.

Attempt 1 - 72 mins

Attempt 2 - 61 mins

Attempt 3 - 55 mins

Most modern games just don't do it for me, so I like finding self imposed challenged on old classics.

10 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Attempt 1 - 72 mins

Attempt 2 - 61 mins

Attempt 3 - 55 mins

Most modern games just don't do it for me, so I like finding self imposed challenged on old classics.

I do speed running whenever I play old games I've played too much but still love to play. Hard to find a couple hours straight, where I'm free, so I haven't done much the last year or two. Mainly Banjo-Kazooie and DKC2.

BK usually takes me around 2:35:00 on the Xbox version. No longer have the N64 version. I think my best time ever is just under 2:30:00. Always do 100%.

I'm a lot better at DKC2, where my average times are around 1:45, at 102%. My best time ever was 1:38; I believe the world record is around 1:30.

The newer games aren't the greatest for speed running. Mostly has to do with newer games not being as replayable, when the game is short enough to speed run. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Attempt 1 - 72 mins

Attempt 2 - 61 mins

Attempt 3 - 55 mins

No but I do like watching speed runs of old school NES/SNES on youtube like Mike Tyson's Punchout and Final Fantasy.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I do speed running whenever I play old games I've played too much but still love to play. Hard to find a couple hours straight, where I'm free, so I haven't done much the last year or two. Mainly Banjo-Kazooie and DKC2.

BK usually takes me around 2:35:00 on the Xbox version. No longer have the N64 version. I think my best time ever is just under 2:30:00. Always do 100%.

I'm a lot better at DKC2, where my average times are around 1:45, at 102%. My best time ever was 1:38; I believe the world record is around 1:30.

The newer games aren't the greatest for speed running. Mostly has to do with newer games not being as replayable, when the game is short enough to speed run. 

That's why I picked MMX, knowing it doesn't take too long. As a parent, I know how hard it is to have some uninterrupted free time.

I never owned a N64, so I haven't played much of BK, but I love DKC2. That's impressively close to the record. You should film your next run and share with CDC.

Agreed newer games aren't as replayable. A lot are story driven, and the good indie games haven't been out long enough for me to want to go back and play again already.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

No but I do like watching speed runs of old school NES/SNES on youtube like Mike Tyson's Punchout and Final Fantasy.

That's what got me interested. I saw a speedrun race of MMX and another of Super Metroid.

Those players have skill I'll never come close to, but it's fun to see how my time measures with theirs.

18 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

That's what got me interested. I saw a speedrun race of MMX and another of Super Metroid.

Those players have skill I'll never come close to, but it's fun to see how my time measures with theirs.

The ones like Mike Tyson Punchout are good because it's legit but for Final Fantasy 2(FFIV) they beat it in under 3 hrs. with some cheap ass glitches.  I haven't played a mega man game since the NES days, i'll check some out for nostalgia.   

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

The ones like Mike Tyson Punchout are good because it's legit but for Final Fantasy 2(FFIV) they beat it in under 3 hrs. with some cheap ass glitches.  I haven't played a mega man game since the NES days, i'll check some out for nostalgia.   

I was never good at Punchout, but I can admire the skill people have at it. FF7 is the only one I've played from the series, but that sounds like an insanely low time for a FF game. I do prefer beating a game without glitches, sure it makes it faster, but it feels almost like cheating. Although some are neat to see.

I've only beaten MM 1-3 on NES, one of these days I'll get around to playing 4-6. No nostalgia factor for me, but I still love me some Megaman.

• 1 year later...

I am currently playing FIFA 17.  I remember playing this a bit last year and was frustrated after getting Canada to the World Cup then the season would just end.  I was watching some FIFA World cup qualifiers on tv and decided to load up that save, I didn't know after the season ended they just continued on with the World Cup, I thought it was going to sim it like all the other sports games, lol.