The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gillis, Vigneault Expected To Be Back

samirjaver

I don't know but I do know that, as much as Gillis now covets big, mean players, I'm glad he didn't pass over the potential of a guy like Schroeder just to take Clifford. Just because Clifford was supposedly on Gillis' list of players to trade Hodgson for (which I think is a joke!), doesn't mean he'd be stupid enough to waste his 1st round pick on the guy.

Schroeder was a top 10 talent going into that draft but teams decided to pass on him because of his size. Whether that proves warranted or not, I'm glad our GM decided to be the one that took him, regardless. You just don't pass over real talent simply because you want a big guy in your system.

I don't know but I do know that, as much as Gillis now covets big, mean players, I'm glad he didn't pass over the potential of a guy like Schroeder just to take Clifford. Just because Clifford was supposedly on Gillis' list of players to trade Hodgson for (which I think is a joke!), doesn't mean he'd be stupid enough to waste his 1st round pick on the guy.

Schroeder was a top 10 talent going into that draft but teams decided to pass on him because of his size. Whether that proves warranted or not, I'm glad our GM decided to be the one that took him, regardless. You just don't pass over real talent simply because you want a big guy in your system.

You forget to mention that Schroder also got passed over by a sh**load of teams. He was projected to go earlier on (around 8th) yet 15 teams passed on the guy. What did Gillis see that 15 other GM's did not see.

As far as drafting goes, I will say the biggest problem with Gillis is he drafts based on what he "percieves" to be the best player rather than on needs. Now, most teams use a combination of th two but with Gillis it is always the guy he thinks is the best player. That is why the defencemen prospect cupboard is not full

I have and still do have a lot of faith in MG, however I have much less faith than a few years back. He's made some very serious blunders the past two years and if he is so blind as to keep AV on as head coach for another year, then I don't know if we can continue giving MG the benefit of the doubt.

Another very good point. His inept handling of young players can be seen in the Coho situation. A lot has been made of the Coho situation and yeah it is VERY EASY TO blame the guy who was traded however it can not be that Hodgson was the only one to blame. People forget to look at how AV handled Hodgson, including the comments he made in Hodgsons second training camp about him overplaying his back injury. If your supervisor(kind of like the coach) called you out for faking or playing out an injury, you would be pretty pissed off as well.

So just because I'm judging Gillis's move to keep AV means im not a real fan?

What moves have you judged? the Ballard trade? the Kassian trade? the Luongo contract?

I'm still a die hard fan, I just tend to look at this more from a "team first" and "winning mentality" now after all the heartbreak, Just because I don't base my decisions on emotion doesn't mean I'm a die hard fan.

I guess you just don't know what a fan is.

Exactly...Hodgson has been known regardless of his agent or what his father does as a mature player, and the fact that he was mishandled, not enough ice time and what not can solely be blamed on AV. So what if Cody complains, you know what, he does have a valid reason to, he was producing. If Hodgson was a 5 goal guy by January, he has the right to keep his mouth shut, but when your the catalyst of a strong January for the team, and putting points on the board on the regular basis, he has a valid point.

The reason for his beef that he's seen Raymond get an obnoxious amount of ice time with premium players, hell even Byron Bitz got a shot with the Sedins..and your telling me that the future captain, franchise player of this team can't get a game with the top line? Thats BS. You produce, you play, simple fact that AV hates having his boys like Burrows and Raymond getting their ice times cut. That comment by AV resonates in my head, I believe it was after a Red Wings or a Ducks victory where he says ... " Im not going to cut Kesler or Hanks icetime". The fact that hes got that concrete on his head serves the fact that hes a bad coach. Competition brings out hte best in players...look at Raymond, why does he suck? He's got nobody pushing him for his spot because AV won't let them. Or look at Kesler, Im sorry but when you go goal lesss for 17-20 games straight, your butt deserves to be planted on the bench, It doesn't necessarily even have to do with Hodgson but if Malhotra has 5 goals in 8 games and hes obviously rolling, and the fact you can't take away ice time from the top players that are struggling just cause...its an absolute crock. Positions have to be accountable if you don't produce, well your ice time disappears and frankly Alain has too much faith on his boys rather than giving another guy a chance.

AV has all these accolades because hes a product of the team. When you have 2 art ross trophy winners, a selke, and 2 jennings calibre goalies, its easy to look good, fact is his ego and his pride is whats keeping this team down in the short and long term. Whats the point of having elite prospects when they aren't going to get the chance to unseat the likes of AV's lovechilds like Raymond,or Rome?

i dont understand why people though they wouldn't be back. Lets see what they've done for this team:

2 Presidents Trophy

SCF Appearance

Jack Adams Trophy

Selke Trophy

2 Art Ross Trophy

a few NW Division Victories

missing anything?

You can say most of this comes up to the players but without Gillis adding peices and AV having the luxury to mix up the lines and have a solid group of guys we wouldn't have any of the above. AV gave Burrows and Kesler the chance to be top 6 guys and they took advantage of that. I still remember when he split them up and put Burrows with the Sedins. I thought he was crazy, obviously not.

Markstrom is only 22. I can't see him being start-ready for at least another 4 years(age of 26, same as Schneider is now), and at that time Luongo will be 37. Sticking with Theodore/Clemmensen until Markstrom is ready is very dangerous to do. I still think if Florida was smart they would go after a better goalie, much like Luongo.

What's the definition of insanity again? I would think firing AV would get MG out of the hot seat as he buys himself more time with a new coach. No one can argue AV's resume but a first round exit where they were badly outplayed is not acceptable with all the talent on this team.

What's the definition of insanity again? I would think firing AV would get MG out of the hot seat as he buys himself more time with a new coach. No one can argue AV's resume but a first round exit where they were badly outplayed is not acceptable with all the talent on this team.

Archived