Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Report] Gillis, Vigneault Expected To Be Back

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
142 replies to this topic

#121 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

I disagree with him not being able to vigure out "Quenneville" if you read my sig you will know what I mean. That was a terribly officiated series, as the refs were did whatever they could to get the Blackhawks back into the series against the Canucks. WHY? I have no f ing clue. It wasn't called like this when they faced Phoenix this year, and I'm sick of it. If that series was equally officated, we would have won it in 5 games.

Umm... when you get blown out 7-2 and 5-0, you can't possibly blame the refs.
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#122 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

It was not the coach, it was the players who lost our season.
Posted Image

#123 mousie

mousie

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

if they ever hired pat quinn I would immediately drop them as my team.

Pat Quinn was hired in edmonton 2 years ago and made a complete fool of himself yelling and
making stupid comments on tv about his team, 'a group of young players, upncoming stars, and
he talked like a coach 'out of touch' with the times, and I noticed they quickly shoved
him upstairs, never to be seen again, and tom rennie took over, and it was rennie who should
have taken the team to begin with, and not be quinn's assistant.

quinn is over the hill, he and don cherry would be very good together, they think alike.

I liked quinn years ago as a coach, but his methods are now out of touch with how advanced
the young players are now, both as players and people, things have moved along, and improved
but quinn has not.

#124 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

What do you all make of this long silence from AV? The longer it gets before hearing from him or about him, the more I think he might be leaning towards not returning.

#125 sQuish

sQuish

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

What do you all make of this long silence from AV? The longer it gets before hearing from him or about him, the more I think he might be leaning towards not returning.

I think they've had it up to *here* with the media and are just staying out of the limelight for the immediate future, letting things settle down, letting everyone get some perspective. There is absolutely no reason to fire AV, he is a good coach, we got ousted by what appears to be this year's Stanley Cup finalists, and our players were expecting a nice easy coast into the finals again.

The longer they wait the more level headed everyone gets (at least most). Smart move.

#126 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

Hard to tell. The way the Kings are playing maybe some heat will be coming off AV. The shock of 1 seed losing to an 8 will be much more pallitable if the Kings go on to the finals or win the cup. Maybe the Kings were just that good because St Louis is a good club and look to be outclassed by the Kings.

Edited by Get real canuck fans, 04 May 2012 - 11:14 AM.

#127 nucksmax

nucksmax

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

Replacing the king is the joy of fools - good old saying; no offence to anyone.

#128 John Garretts Massive Ears

John Garretts Massive Ears

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

I think they've had it up to *here* with the media and are just staying out of the limelight for the immediate future, letting things settle down, letting everyone get some perspective. There is absolutely no reason to fire AV, he is a good coach, we got ousted by what appears to be this year's Stanley Cup finalists, and our players were expecting a nice easy coast into the finals again.

The longer they wait the more level headed everyone gets (at least most). Smart move.

Could not agree more with this statement...
After you recognize the size of John's ears you wont be able to look at anything else!!!!

#129 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

Hard to tell. The way the Kings are playing maybe some heat will be coming off AV. The shock of 1 seed losing to an 8 will be much more pallitable if the Kings go on to the finals or win the cup. Maybe the Kings were just that good because St Louis is a good club and look to be outclassed by the Kings.

It's not because we lost, it's how we lost. AV could not adjust his game and motivate his team in games 1 and 2. He got the best out of no one with his last minute end of season line juggling.

And we can't keep using injuries as an excuse. Teams fight through it. Crosby out most of the year, Pronger out all year.
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#130 chisoxin12

chisoxin12

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

It's not because we lost, it's how we lost. AV could not adjust his game and motivate his team in games 1 and 2. He got the best out of no one with his last minute end of season line juggling.

And we can't keep using injuries as an excuse. Teams fight through it. Crosby out most of the year, Pronger out all year.

...and Pittsburg is where???

#131 Sick Hands

Sick Hands

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

FIRE AV, just to many reasons to name.

Apologists are delusional

A Toast to Aquillini for getting Torterella.

An owner who knows what the people want.

That's entertainment.

#132 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

Replacing the king is the joy of fools - good old saying; no offence to anyone.

None taken.

I just dont understand how you can call AV a "King" in a metaphorical sense. They havent played with much zeal under AV for ages.

#133 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

One of the problems with replacing AV right now is the fact that i'm not sure anyone available at the moment would be better.

Not that I disagree with that but how about a comparison to Naslund as Captain? There wasn't a successor in place when he left but the call was made. Although players and coaches are different I do think there are some parallels in this case.

Naslund was Captain for 8 years, won multiple awards, held multiple franchise records and was known as a quiet leader. He was criticized as not vocal or emotional enough to be Captain. And in 2008 he and Nonis took the fall for not making the playoffs while Vigneault was extended.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#134 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

FIRE AV, just to many reasons to name.

Apologists are delusional

...but we know the difference between "too" and "to"...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#135 ChronCanuck

ChronCanuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

i wouldnt mind having crawford back if he fits into gillis' plan. i liked him. lol. plus he has a cup ring and knows how to make a team work well in the playoffs as long they have goaltending, defense and offense.

schnieder

the depth of the blueline corps. but no true number 1 dman

the offense which is clearly there.

Edited by ChronCanuck, 04 May 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#136 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

Somehow we should be believing that multi million dollar athletes should be self motivated!

Disciplined, occasionally (see Nashville), but if you rely on a coach to motivate the players, we have the wrong players!

Oh I wish we had Willie Mitchell back!

Welp if AV is the coach again next year... Stanley cup 13/14 is the dream!

If the guy can't motivate our players = no chance to win even if he is the best coach in the world.

#137 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

Check out searches under lawsuit; Steve Moore vs Bertuzzi & Vancouver Canucks, co-defendant Marc Crawford!

:sick: :picard: :sadno:

i wouldnt mind having crawford back if he fits into gillis' plan. i liked him. lol. plus he has a cup ring and knows how to make a team work well in the playoffs as long they have goaltending, defense and offense.

schnieder

the depth of the blueline corps. but no true number 1 dman

the offense which is clearly there.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 04 May 2012 - 05:48 PM.

#138 6of1_halfdozenofother

6of1_halfdozenofother

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

No thanks. Crawford isn't an upgrade on AV. Playing favourites? Crawford did that an awful lot. Put rookies to disuse? He did that as well. The one thing he has on AV is that he's passionate behind the bench. So much so that refs have given him bench minors....and I seem to recall him being suspended for a game (or some games). So, is that really an upgrade?
People who label others as bandwagoners, people who tell other people "how" to cheer for their team, "how" they should act or what they should wear to "support" their team, people who only want to hear positive thoughts and don't want to read about how the team can do better - these are people who are insecure and uncomfortable within their own skin.

I'll support my team the way I choose, thank you very much. You can choose to support your team the way you want to, and I won't judge you on it as long as you don't try to force your beliefs on me. I'll also be quick to point out where I think the team can do better, because identifying that there is a problem is the first step to fixing it; denying or ignoring a problem won't solve anything.

Go Canucks Go.

#139 tan

tan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

I respect AV, but I think this team needs a change behind the bench. Preferably someone whos not afraid to get mad at the players and yell, a John Tortorella type coach would be perfect.

agreed

tumblr_m0nxk38n5q1qdlh1io1_400.gif

#140 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

missing anything?

Posted Image

Come on dude, all that stuff is great but I don't care about that, I bet all the true fans of this team would trade all those awards for this in a second, without even thinking, I certainly would.

I'm still extremely disappointed that our team choked in the final after going up 2 games to nothing, and watching Boston win 4 of 5 games, and crush my dreams.

That can't all fall on AV by anymeans but us choking again this year only brought back the pain of the finals, and AV should take the alot of the blame for it this time, our team was flat in the most crucial moments of the season.

Our team talked all year about how they learned from the disappointment of losing game 7 but clearly that wasn't the case.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 05 May 2012 - 11:25 PM.

zackass.png

#141 CanuckFan1981

CanuckFan1981

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

I respect AV, but I think this team needs a change behind the bench. Preferably someone whos not afraid to get mad at the players and yell, a John Tortorella type coach would be perfect.

Its the John Tortorella style coaches that have the shortest lifespan with their teams. The guys get sick of being yetlled at. They are professional atheletes, they know when they make glaring mistakes and don't usually need a blowhard coach yelling at them about it. AV has been so successful for so long because he keeps his cool and uses his brain instead of his emotion. I think in the occasional times he does lose his cool, it ignites the team, but you can only do that so many times before the guys tune you out.

#142 jimmyking8888

jimmyking8888

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

This is not good news. AV is not a bad coach, but I don't think he has more to offer to the Canucks. A new coach can shake things up a bit. Look at Washington and LA.

#143 NewbieCanuckFan

NewbieCanuckFan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

And in 2008 he and Nonis took the fall for not making the playoffs while Vigneault was extended.

It being the 2nd time under his watch missing the playoffs after inheriting a team from Burke that won their division (missed playoffs two out of the three years he was GM) likely didn't help.

I think Nonis started off well but then was scared to make a move/mistake.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan, 06 May 2012 - 06:21 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.