The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Schenn + 5Th Overall To Oilers For Top Pick

We could possibly do both if we reacquired Ohlund with Namestnikov or Connolly and having Ohlund on LTIR all year until his rehab fails and he decides to retire next summer actually opens up almost $9m in cap space ($5.33m + $3.607m) for this coming season.

It's hard to find a player like yakupov again,, I heard on one of the sports networks recently that teams that traded down from the 1st overall pick alwamost always got the worst of the trade no matter the package

If I was making the decision I'd keep the 1st pick and pick a future superstar rather than getting two above average players

I'll try to look up the history of teams that traded their 1st overall when I have some time later on and post it,, unless someone has the time before me and looks it up

Edit while yakupov is the consensus number one I think Grego will be as good if not better in the long run

Or just trade Luongo for the 1st pick and a package. Luongo himself is worth more then the 1st pick a lone. I really hope you were just joking with the Luongo for the 5th pick, because we be robbed.

Yea but we would only be able to spend the salary that Ohlund would be taking up. It's really not adding anything. I really can't see Gillis trading for Ohlund. What if he decides he can come back and play?

I would take Forsberg over Connely, he sounds like a dynamic player that will be exciting to watch. Connely is good, but I think Forsberg will be better.

Schenn has the potential to be a top 4 shutdown defenseman and I believe he will get there.

We can definitely use a big physical shutdown D. If Hamhuis can make Bieksa look like he can actually defend, he can do the same for the development of Schenn.

You guys are all idiots ragging on Schenn.

He is only 22 years old, is 6'2", 230lbs, had MORE hits than ANYONE on Vancouver, blocks alot of shots, decent points playing on a crappy team at a young age. Plus, he hasn't had a major injury yet.

At 22 years old, cut him some slack. I would actually really like him in our system.

Oh come on now! Just admit it guys, yes, he's a Leaf, but he is actually a very good young defencemen. Ask yourself this, who isn't bad on Toronto? TO is just crushing every one of it's prospects, it's the sad truth. That's why they haven't made the playoffs in what? 7 years? Kadri was supposed to be amazing, and he has done absolute squat there, they didn't even give him a full season yet! Kadri has a lot of skill and potential as well, and like Schenn, if put on another good team like Vancouver, Detroit or Chicago, they will develop fully and be studs one fine day. Schenn in Vancouver>>>> Schenn in TO. Take it from me, if Schenn comes here, you guys will love this kid.

Obviously trading down from 1st to 5th is going to have a big dropoff.

But if Edmonton wanted to trade down to the 2nd spot, I think there's alot of cases where the 2nd overall player is actually the better player.

I would say in this draft it could like dropping from Ovechkin (Yakupov), to Malkin (Grigerenko).

Its funny how people rag on Schenn when he's only 22, and when people rag on Kassian, those same people say, "Give him a break! He's only 21!". It's really weird. Schenn has so much potential, he has more hits, like the poster above said, than any Canuck defencmen. If we had Schenn, people wouldn't bash him.

First of all, I highly doubt Ohlund will be able to return to NHL action as he underwent double knee surgery last year and he wasn't able to appear in a single game all season. Now he's undergoing an even more radical procedure. Imo, he'll try the rehab and ultimately come to the realization that he ought to preserve quality of life after hockey over playing a season or two more.

$3.607m of guaranteed LTIR cap space is $3.607m of cap space we could seriously use with Ballard & Booth both overpaid by $1m-$1.5m each. Throw in Luongo's $5.33m, Raymond's $2.55m, Salo's $2m, the $5m rise in the cap ceiling and you have $18.49m for Schneider ($3.6m max), a top-six forward, a top-4 defenceman and a backup goaltender.

On the topic of top-six forwards, how wise would it have been to acquire Vermette when I suggested it prior to the deadline? Perfect temporary fill in for Kesler as a top-six centre next fall, not to mention 2nd unit PP duties or left side Dzone faceoff duties, and an ideal 3rd line centre for a team wanting to play an uptempo style after Kesler comes back. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

Oh come on now! Just admit it guys, yes, he's a Leaf, but he is actually a very good young defencemen. Ask yourself this, who isn't bad on Toronto? TO is just crushing every one of it's prospects, it's the sad truth. That's why they haven't made the playoffs in what? 7 years? Kadri was supposed to be amazing, and he has done absolute squat there, they didn't even give him a full season yet! Kadri has a lot of skill and potential as well, and like Schenn, if put on another good team like Vancouver, Detroit or Chicago, they will develop fully and be studs one fine day. Schenn in Vancouver>>>> Schenn in TO. Take it from me, if Schenn comes here, you guys will love this kid.

Archived