The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Post Workout Drink

Protein Shakes

or

Chocolate Milk

I've heard chocolate milk is a great post-workout recovery drink and some even telling me that researchers have said they are just as good or even better than chocolate milk. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the two.

Others argue and claim that protein shakes are still better because they provide more protein, but say you're eating meals throughout the day which already provide protein then wouldn't a cup of chocolate milk after a workout be enough? Since over consumption of protein shakes are bad for your kidneys, plus chocolate milk tastes better!

I think the crux of the whole protein shake after the workout is that the protein gets used quicker so it feeds the muscles faster.

I'm pretty sure the protein in milk releases slower, so it's great throughout the day or before bed, but after a workout you want quick releasing proteins from proteiin shakes

protein all the way (whey)

u recover faster and feed ur muscles quicker

milk has casien protein which releases over a longer period of time(good for before bed and helps prevent getting hungry while trying to sleep)

so after workouts a shake is best

Choclate milk has a lot of sugar in it, and it is as high in fat as 2% milk. You are better off eating like chicken breast after a work-out, but if you do not have time, 2 scoops of whey protien will do the trick.

You should try and eat simple carbs after a workout:

http://www.bodybuild...rkout_carbs.htm

http://www.stockton..../newsletter.htm

Also, milk contains both whey and casein. Cows milk is approximately 20% whey and 80% casein.

This is why people are pushing chocolate milk right now. It gives you an initial hit of simple carbs and whey. You get complex carbs and casein sightly later as you digest the milk.

Honestly though, different things work for different people. Try each method out for a couple of months and see what one works best for you. What you should eat also depends on your goals, health, obesity levels, age, etc.. If you're trying to lose weight, I wouldn't recommend chocolate milk anytime. If you're a skinny guy looking to add size, the extra calories aren't going to hurt you.

I use MusclePharm's recovery drink. Forget protein powder, forget chocolate milk, you need to get your amino acids, bcaa's, and other minerals and nutrients in your body right after a work out. I'm not saying MusclePharm is the only company with a great post workout recovery drink, but recovery drink's will benefit you more.

All those gimmicky processed drinks and powders are completely unnecessary, everything you need after a workout can and should be had in it's natural form by eating a balance of actual food, the same food humans have survived and thrived on for thousands of years.

If you want to recharge and reload with a drink, make a smoothie with thick yogurt and dark coloured berries and wash it down with a handful of almonds.

Raw dark vegetables like kale or spinach are good as are fruit like pomegranates, strawberries and blueberries.

There's nothing wrong with animal protein in the form of eggs or dairy (or even some meat) either, whatever the trends are telling you but you can also get protein in the form of beans as well.

All those gimmicky processed drinks and powders are completely unnecessary, everything you need after a workout can and should be had in it's natural form by eating a balance of actual food, the same food humans have survived and thrived on for thousands of years.

If you want to recharge and reload with a drink, make a smoothie with thick yogurt and dark coloured berries and wash it down with a handful of almonds.

Raw dark vegetables like kale or spinach are good as are fruit like pomegranates, strawberries and blueberries.

There's nothing wrong with animal protein in the form of eggs or dairy (or even some meat) either, whatever the trends are telling you but you can also get protein in the form of beans as well.

Archived