The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Jordan Schroeder Have Parise Potential?

Pasific Coluseum

With all the talk about his lack of heart and determination, I think people are forgetting that Schroeder was the captain of the US World Junior team that won gold, and became the highest scoring American in the World Juniors in the process. He's also shown a lot of class in the AHL and has improved his defensive game.

Having said all that, he was drafted for his passing and playmaking ability, not as a future superstar. He could definitely be a second line center, maybe even start this coming year before Kesler comes back, but he'll never be anything like Parise. Maybe... like a Koivu, or Gomez when he was good.

I hear that this year Schroeder was a completely different player under MacT. He learned more of the defensive fundamentals of the game from one of the better defensive forwards back in the day, and is developing the two-way side of his game. This is good because you know that under AV a lack of defense wont earn him a roster spot. I also really like that he's a playmaking forward, and could be useful on the second line.

The season doesn't start tomorrow folks, there's still lots of time. We still have the whole summer and training camp. Please be patient!

People need to realize that some players just take more time to develop than others. Schroeder has gotten exponentially better in his time in the AHL, making solid jumps in all aspects of his game, most noticably on the defensive end. I wouldnt write this kid off just yet...

Here is what hockey's future had to say about him...

Talent Analysis

At 5’9/180, Schroeder isnt' the biggest freshman in stature, but he may be the most complete. Schroeder is a highly intelligent player that thinks and understands the game exceedingly well. He possesses excellent vision, awareness, and knows where plays will end up. He is instinctive and creative. Schroeder has the ability to make players around him better and his infectious enthusiasm and passion for the game is difficult to miss.

While some may feel that Schroeder’s lack of size could hinder his chances of being a top ten selection at the upcoming NHL Entry Draft, he has proven time and again that he is more than capable of competing against bigger and stronger players. Schroeder is remarkably strong on his skates and while he is still growing into his body, the strength that he now has he uses to great advantage. This can be seen in areas such as protecting the puck and his play along the boards. Schroeder has also demonstrated that he can handle the physically punishing aspects of the game as well.

Sorry but he was 3rd on scoring on the Wolves, behind such greats as Darren Haydar and Mark Mancari (he would have been behind Reinprecht had he not missed 14 games).

More than a handful of small statured career AHLers outperformed him such as the legendary Martin St. Pierre, T.J. Hensick, Keith Aucoin, Jamie Johnson and about a dozen other players 6ft. or under.

Schroeders size is going to limit him as a player. He will not be able to be an effective 2-Way player at the NHL level. If he wants to be a legitimate NHL player, he is going to have to show he has the tools to be able score. Right now, he does not have what it takes to do that.

The Cons: Just from that highlight reel, it's pretty apparent Schroeder is only marginally quicker than the other players on the ice. He seems to lack the hands to really control the puck though and ends up almost leaving it behind entirely a few times when he makes a quick stop or turn. So he's gotta work on carrying it. His shot doesn't seem to be that great a shot either but bulking up a bit may just be the answer there.

The Pros: He's got heart, and anyone who thinks otherwise couldn't find their hands if you started them at their wrists. He can turn on a dime which helps him back check like a sonofabitch. He also has some pretty impressive vision (some nice no look passes on the rush for sure) and seems equally willing to pass or drive to the net. I also liked how he carried the puck a few times through all three zones.

No real flashes of brilliance but there's certainly a bit of Kesler in his play.

I don't think size is an issue in todays NHL. It's his heart and devotion that I guess some people question. To compare him to Parise is a bit of a stretch as Parise is a superstar. JS can definetly be a good contributor, he has the skill set to become a solid NHL player. Personally I don't think he will be as good as Parise.

He could be a Derek Roy-type where if he moves his feet and keeps his head up and in the game he should be fine. Talent can't be judged by the player's size, but I'll see how he is after a couple regular season games before I over-analyze.

There was in fact another C you might remember who was similar in size and put up similar number in the AHL, who most on here said would never make an impact in the NHL. Except Cody Hodgson is nowhere near as good of a skater, and from what Ive heard about Schroeder, he is already better than Cody was defensively.

I'm not going to try to compare Schroeder to Parise but I will compare him to Hodgson.

In Hodgson's last season with the Moose - he scored 17 goals, 13 assists and was -12 in 52 games - projected over a full season, that's 26 goals, 20 assists for 46 points and a -19.

Last year with the Wolves Schroeder scored 21 goals, 23 assists for 44 points and was +8.

I wouldn't consider that +/- difference of +27 in Schroeder's favor to be irrelevant, particularly after what we saw when Hodgson went to Buffalo and had second line minutes and defensive responsibility.

Hodgson is 7 months older, so comparing their performances with the Wolves one year apart is probably fairly reasonable and with similar circumstances, teammates, etc..

Hodgson is a few inches taller and a negligilble 5 lbs heavier.

Schroeder is obviously a much faster skater, has a grit advantage over Hodgson, and generally imo has an advantage in the intangilbles department ::D but I'm not going to suggest he will be the future captain of the Canucks.

I could see Schroeder being as able to contribute as Hodgson was - perhaps not as much of a factor on the second power play unit (who knows?) but perhaps not quite needing the sheltered situations that Hodgson did.

Schroeder's speed could be make him a better fit to play with Hansen and Higgins.

Schroeder may have learned second hand not to whine about his role on the third line if he earns it.

Schroeder has the incentive going into training camp that he will get a good opportunity to show what he can do.

why don't we wait until we watch how he plays during the pre-season to determine where he stands? Right now all we have are clips from when he plays at the AHL level, and we all know, it doesn't matter how good you are at AHL, if you are unable to translate that into NHL level, you are not going to play

I'm not going to say JS will make the team for sure, but as it stands right now, we have a couple positions that are just wide open for him to grab - 2C until Kesler is healed (which is .. November i think?) and 2RW (no, Higgins should stay as 3LW because he's more comfortable on left side)... I left out the 3C there because I do not think AV will feel comfortable deploying JS against the other team's top lines

if he can demonstrate that he's developed his 2-way game to the NHL level, knows how to make a good pass, and will be able to stay on his skates despite his size, then there is no reason why we won't see our second line as Booth-Kesler-Schroeder

Archived