The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

LMAO - I tip my hat to those who have said over and over and over that Weber wouldn't be a Canuck. There's no way he fits into our Cap. And Gillis is a big believer in Moneyball - watch the movie to get a basic idea of how it works - no way was Gillis going to offer that type of contract again after the Luongo fiasco. Weber is screwed if Nashville matches in the sense he is a Pred for life lol

First, it's been said 100 times that the compensation is 4 firsts. Keep up.

Second, that is such BS logic. Bernier has/had little to zero value at all, and Grabner was a prospect that we didn't have a spot for and didn't fit the team philosophy. And he obviously had zero trade value to Florida since they put him on waivers months later.

I'm pretty stunned, but I knew Weber wasn't coming here.

It makes sense for him to sign with Philly. Looking more than 2-3 years down the road, the Canucks' future doesn't look particularly bright. Philly, on the other hand, is loaded with talented youngsters who will only get better with time.

Weber has to do this in order the secure the money before the next CBA, which is set to put a 5-year limit on contracts.

If the contract is as front-loaded as some have claimed, Nashville will have a hard time matching even though the compensation is not worth what Weber is worth.

Thinking of Weber in an orange jersey makes me want to puke a bit, though.

Well I suppose the guy I worked with was correct....here's a post I made about Weber before...

"This is not a reliable source as it was just passed on by word of mouth... but up north I was working with a guy from the Kelowna area, and his wife was friends with Shea Webers girlfriend or sister(cant remember which he said)... anyways the person said that Shea Weber told them that he will never play for the Canucks.

The guy I worked with said he didn't understand why Shea would say that, but he said Shea said it in a way that he wouldn't want to play for the Canucks. It wasn't said in a way as if it would just be a salary cap issue, or lineup issue... it was just that he didn't want to play with the Canucks.

Like I said this isn't reliable, but the guy that told me this is a big Canuck fan, and he is level headed. He wasn't the type of person to ramble off random stuff just to feel important.

Keep in mind, Weber obviously wouldn't say this publicly, he has to keep it classy. For all we know, he doesn't like the big market atmosphere. Even if this isn't true, it still makes me realize that there is lots of stuff that NO ONE knows, except for Weber and his close group of friends/family."

I'm not shocked that he will never play for the Canucks, he doesn't seem like the type of player to play here.

if poile isnt in on this holmgren is an idiot. half his core are RFA's in the next 3 years. this year its voracek. next year its simmonds. then the next year its schenn, giroux, and coutourier. unless the new CBA drastically cuts young players salaries(unlikely) NSH could convievably checkmate PHI into overpaying for simmonds and voracek, then offer sheet the big 3 in a way that they are forced to part with 1 or even 2 of them. most likely schenn and coutourier. at which point it would be schenn, coutourier, 2 1st, 2nd, 3rd(or 4 1st.) for weber or if poile matches then they don't even get weber and he does it just to spite them lol. retaliation aint fun we had to pay like 2.5m for steve bernier because of it lol.

First, it's been said 100 times that the compensation is 4 firsts. Keep up.

Second, that is such BS logic. Bernier has/had little to zero value at all, and Grabner was a prospect that we didn't have a spot for and didn't fit the team philosophy. And he obviously had zero trade value to Florida since they put him on waivers months later.

Nashville will match because they probably want to get something more for weber than 4 picks. 4 picks aren't going to help them win now, they will have just lost the best defenceman in the nhl without getting an impact player back. So if Weber wants out he gives a list of teams and nashville makes a deal happen that would better suit their needs.

Here's to hoping Vancouver is on that list

I agree. These types of contracts have been circumventing the cap for years. I totally side with the owners on their proposals. I don't see them getting everything they asked for but I believe at least these rediculous contracts will be a thing of the past in the new CBA.

Holmgren and Poile have a long relationship through various deals. Wouldn't surprise me if this was just done as a favour to Poile.

The only way the Canucks could've gotten Weber was through unrestricted free agency. But everyone knew he wasn't even going to make free agency, right?

I suppose we could still dream that Weber will 'demand to be be traded to Vancouver', but jeez, let it go already.

Archived