The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Shea Weber to Flyers (OFFERSHEET)

The Sedins will be 34, when we're able to draft in the 1 round again, and with their conditioning, I'm sure they would still be able to compete at a high level at the age of 36-38. Kesler will still be in his prime, so that gives us about 2-4 years to develope our new prospects. Plus, we could always find free agents to fill in the void until they are ready.

Well it takes time for prospects to develop...You don't just draft them and they're magically ready to play.

By the time the Sedins and Kesler are declining we would have nobody to take their place because we would have no first round picks that are developing to replace them.

Then we have no one up front, but at least we have Weber on defense, right?

Maybe, just maybe, I'd agree if we were a rebuilding team like the islanders, however, the canucks are a mature team that is ready to win now. The four prospects we draft over the next four years may not play a game until after the Sedins retire.

We need to load up now not for the future.

I'd rather have one elite player than 4 bums that we draft. Our drafting history isn't all that great, why pass up a good thing.

I don't want the 14 year contract but 4 first round picks coming 25 to 30 are worth a guy like Weber

Kesler, Schneider, Jensen, Hodgson, Schroeder, and Gaunce are bums?

The first two have worked out pretty good for us. And the others seem like solid picks, minus Hodgson we were able to acquire another solid young player with.

The Canucks D is pretty much set anyways. We need help up front way more than we do on D. I don't care if we added Weber, we wouldn't score enough goals in the playoffs again and we'd be done. That's why we need to start developing elite young talent for up front, not trading it all away for one player...

Kesler, Schneider, Jensen, Hodgson, Schroeder, and Gaunce are bums?

The first two have worked out pretty good for us. And the others seem like solid picks, minus Hodgson we were able to acquire another solid young player with.

The Canucks D is pretty much set anyways. We need help up front way more than we do on D. I don't care if we added Weber, we wouldn't score enough goals in the playoffs again and we'd be done. That's why we need to start developing elite young talent for up front, not trading it all away for one player...

That would be true if we were a Shea Weber away form being a true contender.

But I think people are ignoring the gaping hole we have up front right now. We're not winning a cup without another legit top 6 forward and a gritty third line center.

I would rather Gillis fulfill those needs before appeasing CDCers wet dreams about Weber.

Really? You aren't willing to take this 'incredibly massive' gamble with a team that came one win away from the Cup?

If the canucks had signedWeber look at our defence:

edler -weber

hamhuis-bieksa

garrison-tanev

Schneider in goal.

And maybe Doan would look more seriously at our offer now.

Archived