Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Canucks working on new deal for Burrows

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
255 replies to this topic

#151 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,098 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

True, but I was responding to a post that said any grinding checker could play well with them, which is clearly not the case. No question that if we had a legit star to play with them, that line would destroy the league. But I was just disagreeing with the point that ANYONE can do well with the Sedins.

Ahhh, sorry missed that. Agreed.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#152 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,098 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

naslund? demitra?

You'll have to refresh my memeory, seriously I was re-enacting the 60's for a couple years there. I don't recall them getting an extended period of hockey with the Sedins but point taken if I missed something ... in fact I don't recall anyone besides Carter or Burrows playing more than 30, 40 games in a row with these guys.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#153 hiebskey

hiebskey

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

You'll have to refresh my memeory, seriously I was re-enacting the 60's for a couple years there. I don't recall them getting an extended period of hockey with the Sedins but point taken if I missed something ... in fact I don't recall anyone besides Carter or Burrows playing more than 30, 40 games in a row with these guys.

I think naslund played one full season with them.. Maybe not?
saskatchewan's biggest Canuck fan :)

#154 Martin Frk

Martin Frk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:22 AM

Hopefully they can get Burr for a good price
Posted Image
Cred to Lemons

#155 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,098 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

I think naslund played one full season with them.. Maybe not?

Was that at the end of Nazzy's reign here?

Saskatchewan's biggest Canucks fan?

I guess, now that I live in (ugg) Calgary. :lol: B)

I did a search on the internet. http://forum.canucks...over-the-years/

In the OP from the link above from 2010:

2000-01 = Trent Klatt, Todd Bertuzzi
2001-02 = Trent Klatt
2002-03 = Trent Klatt, Trevor Linden
2003-04 = Jason King, Magnus Arvedsson
2005-06 = Anson Carter
2006-07 = Taylor Pyatt
2007-08 = Taylor Pyatt, Markus Naslund
2008-09 = Alex Burrows, Pavol Demitra, Steve Bernier
2009-10 = Alex Burrows, Mikael Samuelsson.

Ha ha, at least my opinions don't radically change, I comment pretty much the same thing as I have now, it does reconfirm the revolving door and lack of a gifted player to play with these guys.

Edited by Dogbyte, 17 August 2012 - 08:37 AM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#156 hiebskey

hiebskey

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

Was that at the end of Nazzy's reign here?

Saskatchewan's biggest Canucks fan?

I guess, now that I live in (ugg) Calgary. :lol: B)

I did a search on the internet. http://forum.canucks...over-the-years/

In the OP from the link above from 2010:

2000-01 = Trent Klatt, Todd Bertuzzi
2001-02 = Trent Klatt
2002-03 = Trent Klatt, Trevor Linden
2003-04 = Jason King, Magnus Arvedsson
2005-06 = Anson Carter
2006-07 = Taylor Pyatt
2007-08 = Taylor Pyatt, Markus Naslund
2008-09 = Alex Burrows, Pavol Demitra, Steve Bernier
2009-10 = Alex Burrows, Mikael Samuelsson.

Ha ha, at least my opinions don't radically change, I comment pretty much the same thing as I have now, it does reconfirm the revolving door and lack of a gifted player to play with these guys.

Haha yeah.. It's all I could think of :P and yeah your right.. A legit top line forward would make that line even better then it is now and it would be nice to take the pressure off the twins from carrying the line game in and game out.. Although burrows has provided them with some energy when things weren't clicking..
saskatchewan's biggest Canuck fan :)

#157 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

Anything under 5 mil a yr will be a home team discount
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#158 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,691 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

Burrows was near the end of a 28 goal, 50 point season before he signed his last discount contract in March 2009. To say he didn't sign at much of a discount, or that he had just joined the twins, who were responsible for his success, is extremely near sighted. He was worth his 2 million the year before he re-signed, when he scored 30 points, killed penalties, etc, etc.

Everyone knows he scored another 89 (5 on 5 and shorthanded) goals, plus 79 assists and a remarkable +84 in the three years since signing that deal - if you look at the comparables - you'd be looking at guys making 3 times as much as him and would have a hard time finding a player averaging 30 goals who doesn't make 5 million. People here arguing 3.5 max etc are way out of touch - that's essentially expecting another huge discount that would maintain his status as one of the most relatively underpaid players in the NHL. Suppose it's not surprising that there are Canucks fans here who take the guy for granted and still don't realize everything he brings to a hockey team. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed a deal with an average 4 million cap hit, but that is simply because it is Burrows we are talking about - as a UFA, he'd command numbers that would shock a lot of people here.

#159 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

Get it done MG. This guy deserves a fair contract this time around. I love the Canucks but....if Burrows goes, my loyalties to the team will as well...

I'm just gonna take this as a joke, cause if it's true, that's really effing sad.
Posted Image

#160 Kovalsnipe

Kovalsnipe

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

3.5 mil max, he's a 3rd liner without the Sedins.

#161 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,697 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

To all the people who say Burrows' production of cause of the twins:

HE PLAYED FOR TEAM CANADA WITHOUT THE TWINS IN THE SPRING AND HAD LIKE 3 GOALS IN 4 GAMES OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, SO BEFORE YOU SAY BURROWS' PRODUCTION IS ONLY CAUSE OF THE SEDINS DO YOUR RESEARCH

end of rant

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#162 firestorm238

firestorm238

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

Yeah, I agree playing with the twins has inflated his stats, but don't forget all that he's learned playing with the twins. It's not like he's a the grinder on the first line, he's essentially playing the same style of game that the twins do and he's not only kept up the pace he's excelled at it. Add to that his excellent PK skills and you've got a player that's definitely above the 3rd line. IMO, without the twins he's a solid 2nd-liner / 1st liner on a team with less depth.

With this understanding I'd put him around Kris Versteeg's value which is an aav of 4.4 mil. I think Burr has a little more value as he's a little bigger, and effective on offensive and defensive special teams so that should add to his value. Of course, he's playing on a more competitive team so those two sets of factors should cancel each other out.

As a result I'd be happy signing him for anything in the 4.2-5.0 range.

Quick aside - people need to realize that Kes and the Twins signed their contracts several years ago when the Cap was lower. This means that their salaries are not reflective of the current market. So yes, if the twins, kes, and burr were all negotiating their contracts this summer it wouldn't make sense to give them essentially the same money - but they're not. The contracts the twins and Kes signed were reflective of the markets they were signed in with a pretty generous discount figured in.

#163 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

4 years $12-$14 million, done

#164 .Naslund

.Naslund

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

HE PLAYED FOR TEAM CANADA WITHOUT THE TWINS IN THE SPRING AND HAD LIKE 3 GOALS IN 4 GAMES OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, SO BEFORE YOU SAY BURROWS' PRODUCTION IS ONLY CAUSE OF THE SEDINS DO YOUR RESEARCH

end of rant

Team Canada sucks?
The World Championships? LOL
3 goals in 5 games, pretty good actually, but once again the World Championships? lol
Didn't Patrick Thoresen finish second in scoring, along with some other no-namers on the list? Let's pay them a lot too.

You sure used a lot of research in your rant there. 5 games in a pretty terrible tournament playing alongside Canada. You've changed my whole perspective. Burrows deserves a boatload of cash. :rolleyes:

Edited by .Naslund, 17 August 2012 - 05:05 PM.

Posted Image

#165 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,697 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

Not just that. Isn't he 2nd in franchise history in SHG behind only Bure? He has played great with Kesler and played great on the 3rd.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#166 Steve_Nash

Steve_Nash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:21 AM

4-5 years at 3.8 per.

Posted Image

#167 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:17 AM

Burr better get re-signed

Heart and soul of the team
What a story too undrafted ---> ECHL ---> AHL ---> NHL ---> NHL 1st Line ---> Team Canada

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#168 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

end of rant

Not to mention he was on the 4th line.
Posted Image

#169 djlegere

djlegere

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

Umm huh? he has the third highest +/- in the league over the last 3 years, scores 30 mainly even strength, very little pp time, kills penalities, heart and soul of this team, he is one of the most important players in this organization. MG knows it and he will be paid accordingly. He will take the discount as everyone has to stay but he will be paid fair.

I see 5 yrs (retires a canuck)

Avg of 4.2, 5 yrs $21 million.

Finally someone is making sense in this thread. This is the ballpark contract that is going to happen. Anyone who thinks anything else is crazy.
Posted Image

Mr. Wiggles, on 23 June 2010 - 01:55 PM, said:
Leafs will make the playoffs, quote me.

#170 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

Burrows could get 5 mil+ on the open market. He'll probably end up getting around 4.5 per in Vancouver.

#171 George_Costanza

George_Costanza

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

This guy puts up 25+ goals year after year. Who cares that he plays with the Sedins, other teams would see the consistent goal totals and he'd command 5+ mill on the open market. Hell, this guy left LOTS of money on the table with his last contract....he deserves a lot.
Posted Image

#172 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

I could see us trading him if we cant get a deal done by xmas.He could get us a good second liner and prospect or high pick.I want him here but the way the team is aging and we are near the cap I just dont know less he takes a big pay cut again.
Posted Image

#173 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

We aren't trading Burrows. Why would even think of something that stupid? Thank god you're not the GM.

Wow you're in denial. This guy is right. Burrows is 31. Not getting any younger pal. Our team already belongs in a retirement home as it is. We need to get younger fast. Why not put him in a package for Bobby Ryan? I know you have a man crush on Burrows, but it's a business and if we can get younger and better by trading him,, then you do it! Get over it.

Edited by 6OH!4, 20 August 2012 - 09:31 AM.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#174 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

Currently, in $US, 18k gold sells at $1,211.39 per ounce.

With 16 ounces in a pound and Burrows at 190lbs, it comes to $3,682,625.60.

Burrows indeed is worth his weight in gold.

Edited by Neufy161, 20 August 2012 - 01:35 PM.

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#175 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,008 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

Wow you're in denial. This guy is right. Burrows is 31. Not getting any younger pal. Our team already belongs in a retirement home as it is. We need to get younger fast. Why not put him in a package for Bobby Ryan? I know you have a man crush on Burrows, but it's a business and if we can get younger and better by trading him,, then you do it! Get over it.

We may get younger, but we won't get better. Burr is one of the big reasons our PK has been great recently; he's always a threat to score shorthanded. There aren't a lot of players who'll provide Burr's offense and defense at a reasonable price, and those that can would cost far too much in a trade.

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#176 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

We may get younger, but we won't get better. Burr is one of the big reasons our PK has been great recently; he's always a threat to score shorthanded. There aren't a lot of players who'll provide Burr's offense and defense at a reasonable price, and those that can would cost far too much in a trade.

If we got Bobby Ryan, we would be getting better and younger.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#177 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,008 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

We'd also be giving up a hell of a lot more than just Burrows, which makes us worse overall.

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#178 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Hey, Burrows is a team guy but the team also owes him some gratitude. Let's just pay him in accordance with his value to the team?

Forgetting league comparisons; I reckon the perfect comparable is Juice! It does stand to reason that Edler will get paid more, as a 50 point D man at 212 or 215 lbs and 20 minutes a night. That is worth more. Hamhuis is perhaps a bargain and of course Ballard overpaid, nor is Burrows worth as much to us as our 5 million dollar man Kesler. But 30 goals (above average but not all star calibre) and an all situations bit under sized forward, great team guy plus scrappy as hell, with a high plus / minus is almost a perfect comparison to Bieksa > relative to position. That Juice can fight a little better is maybe the only difference.

It comes back to a similar contract many have been suggesting; $4.2 to $4.5 mil for say 4 years?

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 20 August 2012 - 06:17 PM.

#179 NucksBruins

NucksBruins

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

Bobby Ryan had 7 more points than Burrows last year playing with Getzlaf and Perry. He's not a heart and soul guy either. Younger doesn't always mean better. We know Burrows has chemistry with the twins AND great chemistry with Kesler as well. He gets almost all of his goals 5 on 5, so his stats would be better if he actually got power play time. Ryan has more pure talent, but he's inconsistent and there is no guarantee he would score more than 55 points in a Canucks uniform either.
Posted Image

#180 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,972 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

Burrows was near the end of a 28 goal, 50 point season before he signed his last discount contract in March 2009. To say he didn't sign at much of a discount, or that he had just joined the twins, who were responsible for his success, is extremely near sighted. He was worth his 2 million the year before he re-signed, when he scored 30 points, killed penalties, etc, etc.

Everyone knows he scored another 89 (5 on 5 and shorthanded) goals, plus 79 assists and a remarkable +84 in the three years since signing that deal - if you look at the comparables - you'd be looking at guys making 3 times as much as him and would have a hard time finding a player averaging 30 goals who doesn't make 5 million. People here arguing 3.5 max etc are way out of touch - that's essentially expecting another huge discount that would maintain his status as one of the most relatively underpaid players in the NHL. Suppose it's not surprising that there are Canucks fans here who take the guy for granted and still don't realize everything he brings to a hockey team. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed a deal with an average 4 million cap hit, but that is simply because it is Burrows we are talking about - as a UFA, he'd command numbers that would shock a lot of people here.

The argument against that contract is that he is a product of the twins far more than they are of him. They were well on their way to becoming stars in this league and were already legitimate first liners. Idiots will argue that they were fringe first line players, but idiots and idiots and they have their idiot opinions. Burrows was obviously not even close to the player that he is today without the twins. And I say that twins make him more than he makes them because when Daniel went down in 09-10 and Henrik went on to win the Art Ross, Burrows had two goals and ten points in that 18 game span-- that is not the production of a first line player. As UFA, he may demand such a price, but if anyone has done their homework, they ought to be hesitant to offer him such a contract for he has yet to prove he can post similar numbers that he has without the twins. And the one downside of him playing here for a huge contract, an average of 4 million as you suggested, is that if one of the twins goes down injured, nobody knows for sure if he will still be as reliable.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.