Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[SIGNING] Canucks sign Evan Mcneny

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#31 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,597 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

A blurb from Canucks Army up now, with a quote from Brock Otten of OHLProspects:

I remain steadfast in my opinion that had he played this year, McEneny would be in consideration for the top two rounds of the draft. He was impressive defensively as a 16 year old rookie, and it was clear through the preseason games and the first two games of the OHL season, that McEneny had added an offensive punch to his game. He's got size, mobility, physicality, and offensive potential from the back end. But he also suffered a season ending knee injury limiting his exposure to two games this year. If I was an NHL team, I'd take a flyer on him with a 7th round pick and hope he recovers well.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#32 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

I heard that is potential is right up there with that Schultz kid. :)

Yeah, not a bad consolation prize after we lost out on Weber and Schultz :P

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#33 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,969 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

The Flyers lost out on Weber.

#34 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,597 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

The Flyers lost out on Weber.

And Suter and Parise and Nash...

We were seriously involved in both Weber and Schultz though, but at least we got Garrison where Flyers have only been able to keep their own. Imagine what shape they'd be in on D if they hadn't traded JVR for Schenn.

#35 Shekers

Shekers

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but since it was mentioned...

HOW in the hell did we lose out on Weber? How? If the Preds were willing to match that ridiculously insane front heavy contract, HOW in the freaking hell would we have been able to get him? Trade? Yeah, keep dreaming. What kind of freaking contract would we have been able to give Weber without screwing over the forseeable future. God damn...think a little.

#36 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 26,169 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

The only negative I'd say is too bad he's not right handed. Free prospects are always good.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#37 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,456 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

And Suter and Parise and Nash...

We were seriously involved in both Weber and Schultz though, but at least we got Garrison where Flyers have only been able to keep their own. Imagine what shape they'd be in on D if they hadn't traded JVR for Schenn.

Coburn - Timonen
Meszaros (when healthy) - Grossman
Gustaffson - MA Bourdon

:sick:

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#38 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

I hope he does well. These young guys are always interesting.

Posted Image

#39 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 17,092 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

Canucks sign the best free agent defenseman on the UFA market this year, and Vancouver whines because it didn't get an RFA that no one got, or a $3.775 million cap hit rookie who demands ice time before he has even played a game in the AHL.

#40 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,456 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

Canucks sign the best free agent defenseman on the UFA market this year

I didn't know we signed Suter?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#41 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,204 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

Canucks sign the best free agent defenseman on the UFA market this year, and Vancouver whines because it didn't get an RFA that no one got, or a $3.775 million cap hit rookie who demands ice time before he has even played a game in the AHL.

You know the funny thing? Old News is actually one of the most educated and entertaining opinions on CDC (honestly).

Except he looses his objectivity in his self appointed part time gig as MG's bodyguard / spin doctor... Its almost like watching my mom yell at our hockey coach when I was 6? Except News is yelling at all the other (objective) hockey dad's! :P

I didn't know we signed Suter?

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 13 September 2012 - 09:59 PM.

#42 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,112 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:57 AM

" He looks for the character guys "

Well then did he mess up with Hodgson or did Cody's character change after the draft or after he started playing for the Nucks?

Get over it. Go cheer for Buffalo if you have that big of a man crush on him.

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#43 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

http://www.hockeydb.....php?pid=128100

....Damn....Huge guy, plays D, and he's only 17 years old! Another development project I guess. Still not impressed with our off-season so far, but also not depressed

If you go through every team in the NHL and see what they did this summer, most teams havent done anything with exception in Minnesota and New York RAngers. Thats it. Everyone else is the same. Very limited movement because of questionable CBA. But my point is, most teams in the NHL like 25 of them, did not improve their overall roster.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#44 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but since it was mentioned...

HOW in the hell did we lose out on Weber? How? If the Preds were willing to match that ridiculously insane front heavy contract, HOW in the freaking hell would we have been able to get him? Trade? Yeah, keep dreaming. What kind of freaking contract would we have been able to give Weber without screwing over the forseeable future. God damn...think a little.

Actually apparently Gillis did offer it to them, it's just that it was rejected. So I give props to Gillis for trying. As for Justin Shultz, we didn't lose out on anything.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#45 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

Found this explanation on the HF Boards as to why the Canucks were able to sign an 18 year old.

This is my understanding of the matter. North American juniors are draft eligible for 3 years, after which time they can be signed to an ELC any time throughout the season (ie, Archibald).

However, junior players can be signed after their first (or second) draft if they go undrafted by every team and are invited to a team's training camp (ie, Vancouver). This team will have a limited time period to sign the player: up until around the middle of September I believe (ie, now).

So a team could sign as many kids as they had contract slots for, after the kids' first (18-year-old) drafts. But, it must be done before their next junior seasons start.

I guess it doesn't happen to often because teams don't find it worth it? If the player was worth it, chances are they would have been drafted. That being said, looks like a low-risk, high-reward situation. Nothing wrong with that.

#46 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,597 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

Found this explanation on the HF Boards as to why the Canucks were able to sign an 18 year old.

I guess it doesn't happen to often because teams don't find it worth it? If the player was worth it, chances are they would have been drafted. That being said, looks like a low-risk, high-reward situation. Nothing wrong with that.

That sounds about right. I was going on the 3 year condition which is why I was confused as to how we could sign him but I could see the above.

#47 gurn

gurn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

Get over it. Go cheer for Buffalo if you have that big of a man crush on him.

you miss the point.This is not about Cody freaking hodgson.
It is about some people running around and fluffing Mike gillis as being some kind of genius at drafting character guys.
So did Gillis mess up with Cody? Yes or no? If yes then perhaps Gillis does not have the sun shing from his posterior. If no then why did he trade a character guy with tremendous leadership skills?

So far I'd give Gillis a "B" mark overall and a "C" for his drafting.

#48 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 17,092 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

Except he looses his objectivity in his self appointed part time gig as MG's bodyguard / spin doctor... Its almost like watching my mom yell at our hockey coach when I was 6? Except News is yelling at all the other (objective) hockey dad's! :P

ba-dum-ching! I bin owned! :bigblush:

Objectivity? blah - no one is objective. I am a Canucks fan - I try to look at things in a balanced or fair way, but you're right - I take a position / have an axe to grind.

Gillis is bigger, stronger and smarter than I am, so bodyguard and spin doctor are pretty flattering. Fanboi is probably more accurate.

Regardless I stand behind my claim that Garrison was the best UFA defenseman signing this year - first, in terms of contract, I would take the 4 year 4.6 million anyday over the forever and a moon deal that Suter got - and second, I think Suter is over-rated (and benefitted a little from playing with a certain partner) - I prefer Garrison's shut down ability and scoring punch (his two-way game), his shot, his size etc - I think Garrison will be the better player moving forward, and I think the massive difference in term and cap hit make this a no-brainer.
Flame away.
(Gillis and Gilman are the best in the business!) :shock:

Edited by oldnews, 14 September 2012 - 10:47 PM.

#49 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:28 PM

ba-dum-ching! I bin owned! :bigblush:

Objectivity? blah - no one is objective. I am a Canucks fan - I try to look at things in a balanced or fair way, but you're right - I take a position / have an axe to grind.

Gillis is bigger, stronger and smarter than I am, so bodyguard and spin doctor are pretty flattering. Fanboi is probably more accurate.

Regardless I stand behind my claim that Garrison was the best UFA defenseman signing this year - first, in terms of contract, I would take the 4 year 4.6 million anyday over the forever and a moon deal that Suter got - and second, I think Suter is over-rated (and benefitted a little from playing with a certain partner) - I prefer Garrison's shut down ability and scoring punch (his two-way game), his shot, his size etc - I think Garrison will be the better player moving forward, and I think the massive difference in term and cap hit make this a no-brainer.
Flame away.
(Gillis and Gilman are the best in the business!) :shock:

Sorry, no matter which way you slice it Suter >> Garrison
I do agree that, especially when taking contracts into consideration, Garrison is a significantly better fit on the Canucks. Suter here at that price would make absolutely no sense.
As for Gillis and Gilman, they are probably 2 of the most professional front office duo in the league. And that'll attract a lot of players. Obviously professionalism alone doesn't get players to sign, as this off season has shown us. Sometimes a player would just prefer to play elsewhere for reasons you can't compensate for now matter how hard you try or how much money you throw at them. Schultz and Doan didn't reject Vancouver because Gillis and Gilman weren't doing their job.
Lastly, as good a job as I think Gillis and Gilman have done, their drafting still worries me. It's been a little better than under Nonis but that isn't necessarily saying a lot.

#50 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,885 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:34 PM

I wonder how many people got excited at the "Last post" where it says "[SIGNING] Canucks sign Evan..." thinking it would say Evander Kane. :D

x1vXIze.png
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

small.pngCDCEHL

#51 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:58 AM

I like that we took the risk. He will definitely be a dark horse in a few years time. I like our D prospects regardless:

Connauton
Tanev
Sauve
Corrado
McNally
Price
Andersson
Polasek

Some of these guys are long shots, a season with the wolves will give us a better idea. BTW anyone know how to stream wolves games for free?

Edited by Ossi Vaanenen, 15 September 2012 - 02:58 AM.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#52 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:28 AM

As soon as I saw "ev.." i thought evander kane

I was scared that it was Oberg.... I really like this! Probably won't happen for 2-4 years but still awesome.

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#53 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

State Alchemist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

Kind of useless to the discussion but... in NHL 12 he maxes out at about 89.

Edited by ER15, 15 September 2012 - 08:04 AM.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.