Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

King of the ES

Vancouver Canucks: Anti-WHL?

The Vancouver Canucks have not selected a single WHL player in the draft since 2008, when they selected Prabh Rai and Morgan Clark in the 5th and 7th rounds.

The WHL is known for its different brand of hockey vis-a-vis the OHL and the QMJHL; notably, it's a lot grittier, a lot tougher, a lot more "old time". Not surprisingly, these are characteristics missing from Canuck teams of late.

Too much GM & Coach Eastern influence? Why are they avoiding the WHL?

Seriously though, Dan Russel has mentioned this countless times. The Canucks need defensemen and the Kelowna Rockets are a "defensemen factory" (Russel's term).

I know Edler is a WHL guy and from the Rockets, but why the hell dont the Canucks draft more of these guys? Forwards and D-men. We have missed out on a lot of really good players.

Seriously though, Dan Russel has mentioned this countless times. The Canucks need defensemen and the Kelowna Rockets are a "defensemen factory" (Russel's term).

I know Edler is a WHL guy and from the Rockets, but why the hell dont the Canucks draft more of these guys? Forwards and D-men. We have missed out on a lot of really good players.

K.Conn Played for the Giants for a year. Or was it just a figment of my imagination. Tie goes to the runner.

I think we need to find the late round utility player from the Dub. The Canucks haven't done a very good job of that.

No one really knows why the Gillis regime seems have an aversion to the WHL. It would seemingly be quite easy to scout WHL players with the Giants in the same city.

I'm still miffed that they didn't take Lucic. I watched him play for the Giant for a couple years. You could see then that he was going to be one hell of a hard hitting grit player.

K.Conn Played for the Giants for a year. Or was it just a figment of my imagination. Tie goes to the runner.

I think we need to find the late round utility player from the Dub. The Canucks haven't done a very good job of that.

The Vancouver Canucks have not selected a single WHL player in the draft since 2008, when they selected Prabh Rai and Morgan Clark in the 5th and 7th rounds.

The WHL is known for its different brand of hockey vis-a-vis the OHL and the QMJHL; notably, it's a lot grittier, a lot tougher, a lot more "old time". Not surprisingly, these are characteristics missing from Canuck teams of late.

Too much GM & Coach Eastern influence? Why are they avoiding the WHL?