81 replies to this topic

#1 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

The Vancouver Canucks have not selected a single WHL player in the draft since 2008, when they selected Prabh Rai and Morgan Clark in the 5th and 7th rounds.

The WHL is known for its different brand of hockey vis-a-vis the OHL and the QMJHL; notably, it's a lot grittier, a lot tougher, a lot more "old time". Not surprisingly, these are characteristics missing from Canuck teams of late.

Too much GM & Coach Eastern influence? Why are they avoiding the WHL?

#2 Dirt Nasty

Dirt Nasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

POPULAR

King of the ES: Anti-Canuck?
Posted Image

#3 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

We just have to draft the BPA, not worry about where they are from.

Although this year I would like us to get Jackson Houck in the 2nd or 3rd round if possible.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 20 November 2012 - 07:33 PM.

zackass.png

#4 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

POPULAR

Seriously though, Dan Russel has mentioned this countless times. The Canucks need defensemen and the Kelowna Rockets are a "defensemen factory" (Russel's term).
I know Edler is a WHL guy and from the Rockets, but why the hell dont the Canucks draft more of these guys? Forwards and D-men. We have missed out on a lot of really good players.

#5 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

All I hear is your negativity. Cheer up bro! Have some hope! Stop being emo.

Follow me on twitter! @RealStamkos91

#6 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

Seriously though, Dan Russel has mentioned this countless times. The Canucks need defensemen and the Kelowna Rockets are a "defensemen factory" (Russel's term).
I know Edler is a WHL guy and from the Rockets, but why the hell dont the Canucks draft more of these guys? Forwards and D-men. We have missed out on a lot of really good players.

Damon Severson was available in the 2nd round when we picked, MG has different priorities though

Edited by canucklax, 20 November 2012 - 07:38 PM.

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#7 Rink on Renfrew

Rink on Renfrew

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

K.Conn Played for the Giants for a year. Or was it just a figment of my imagination. Tie goes to the runner.

I think we need to find the late round utility player from the Dub. The Canucks haven't done a very good job of that.

#8 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Damon Severson was available in the 2nd round when we picked, MG has different priorities though

I dont understand Gillis sometimes. He really does seem to avoid the WHL and some of these teams are right in the Canucks backyard.

#9 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,503 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

POPULAR

I still think we need to improve our scouting in general.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#10 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

This.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#11 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Ya we have a certain blindness to players in our own backyard. For what it's worth though the Canucks took Myron this past year and he came from the BCHL.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#12 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

No one really knows why the Gillis regime seems have an aversion to the WHL. It would seemingly be quite easy to scout WHL players with the Giants in the same city.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#13 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,870 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

I'm still miffed that they didn't take Lucic. I watched him play for the Giant for a couple years. You could see then that he was going to be one hell of a hard hitting grit player.

#14 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

King of the ES: Anti-Canuck?

It was a simple question, that doesn't make him anti-Canuck. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I found myself wondering the same thing, why we aren't drafting any players from the Vancouver Giants? I'm sure some of those BC boys would love to play with the Canucks. We need to keep our eye on all BC teams and try draft some home grown talent. I notice Montreal keeps their eyes on a lot of the players that come out of here, even Chicago and Washington have a few.. Be nice to see. After Hamhuis, I'm sure everyone is thinking the same thing. :P

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 20 November 2012 - 08:52 PM.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#15 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

K.Conn Played for the Giants for a year. Or was it just a figment of my imagination. Tie goes to the runner.

I think we need to find the late round utility player from the Dub. The Canucks haven't done a very good job of that.

He joined the Giants/entered the WHL after he was drafted.

Edited by I♥Wellwood, 20 November 2012 - 09:40 PM.

Posted Image

#16 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

The Vancouver Canucks have not selected a single WHL player in the draft since 2008, when they selected Prabh Rai and Morgan Clark in the 5th and 7th rounds.

The WHL is known for its different brand of hockey vis-a-vis the OHL and the QMJHL; notably, it's a lot grittier, a lot tougher, a lot more "old time". Not surprisingly, these are characteristics missing from Canuck teams of late.

Too much GM & Coach Eastern influence? Why are they avoiding the WHL?

None of our picks from 2009 and on have made the Canucks anyway. So this wouldn't have made a difference on our team. At least not yet.
Posted ImagePosted Image
---------------------------------------------------

#17 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

As a Kelowna Rockets fan, I've had the pleasure of seeing Keith, Weber, Myers, Schenn, Edler, Gorges, Hannan, and Souray develop under an amazing Rockets development program. They do an amazing job.

And if you want a real quality defense prospect, look no further than the Rockets' Madison Bowey. The kid has been improving every game that I've seen him play and he's going to be a gamer. Right now, he's being ranked as a late first-rounder but I have confidence that he'll develop into a top-pairing guy in the NHL.

Edited by nowhereman, 20 November 2012 - 09:59 PM.

Posted Image

#18 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

no, it is a coincidence. the canucks need to worry about drafting the best available player, not the best available WHLer.
Posted Image

#19 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,100 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

It doesn't make him not anti-Canuck either.

But seriously, it's been a topic discussed any number of times on this forum, so to see King post it without any new or exciting information does seem like a great way to complain about the Canucks.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

Amen. This team has the largest amateur scouting staff in the NHL, no excuses for poor drafting.

On another note, the Canucks have unique strategies. This much is clear. They think outside the box. So the fact few WHLers have been selected is part of their strategy, for sure. Canucks are also the only NHL team in last 5 yrs (under Gillis regime) to not 'draft' a Russian player.

After the cup final loss, they changed their organizational philosophy. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the Nucks select more North American and WHL players in coming drafts. Just a hunch.

#21 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

Good thread. I don't know if its anti WHL but I have said in the past that Canucks should draft more from the dub. It's is a legitimate question as to why they don't.

#22 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

You must be new here ...

#23 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

If your scouts had turned up recommendations like:

Prab Rai
Morgan Clark
Taylor Ellington
Dan Gendur
Michael Grabner
Evan Fuller
Matt Butcher
Andrew Sarauer
David Schulz

Over the previous 5 drafts out of the WHL/BCHL, would you keep going back to that well? I certainly wouldn't ...

#24 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

Prab Rai
Morgan Clark
Taylor Ellington
Dan Gendur
Michael Grabner
Evan Fuller
Matt Butcher
Andrew Sarauer
David Schulz

Over the previous 5 drafts out of the WHL/BCHL, would you keep going back to that well? I certainly wouldn't ...

Out of that list, only Grabner and Ellington stand out. But out of that list, most of them were drafted BEFORE Gillis took over as GM.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

View PostMarkus Alexander Cody, on 19 July 2010 - 11:34 PM, said:

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#25 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,342 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

I wanted the Canucks to draft Henrik Samuelsson out of the WHL, but now that I've gotten to know what kind of player Gaunce is, I realize they made the right choice.

He's the hard working two way center that we'll need in the future. And he's a natural born leader.

And the reality is, the OHL is still the top junior league in the world. They produce alot more NHLers than any junior league in the world. So the liklihood of there being a better OHL player wherever you're selecting in the draft is pretty high.

The OHL has been pretty good to the Canucks in the last few drafts, so I don't know why people would complain.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#26 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,888 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

Doesn't matter where they play or where they're born. Pick the best player you can get.

#27 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

Doesn't matter where they play or where they're born. Pick the best player you can get.

...which tends to be influenced by where they play/trained/learned.

#28 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,888 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:09 AM

...which tends to be influenced by where they play/trained/learned.

Meh...not really. You get players from Russia and Sweden who play a NA style of game. There are players in NA that play a european style.

#29 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:13 AM

doesn't matter, take the best player available. Drafting players is always a risk anyways, I mean there have been late round picks that have become top 6 players, and top round picks who have had a lot of hype but not delivered. Draft is always a tricky thing to do, and you have got to give credit to our scouting even though a lot of people say they aren't good.

Edler, Kesler, Schnieder, Bieksa, Sedins, etc. all drafted by the Canucks, we can't have THAT bad of a scouting team if we were able to get those guys, not to mention the later pick in Hansen.
Posted Image

#30 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:33 AM

Prab Rai (5th round)
Morgan Clark (7th round)
Taylor Ellington (2nd round - clear mistake)
Dan Gendur (7th round)
Michael Grabner (1st round - good player that we clearly should not have given up on)
Evan Fuller (7th round)
Matt Butcher (5th round)
Andrew Sarauer (4th round)
David Schulz (8th round)

I've added the bolded text, for context. Almost all of these picks are very low round, low probability guesses, anyway. The amount of WHL players that have been passed on in virtually every draft is pretty stunning. Even in Cody's year, Tyler Myers a couple of picks later, Jordan Eberle a few picks after that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.