The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Founder - 7/10

Very interesting story, and Keaton is excellent in the lead role. But the pacing is a bit uneven, and most side characters aren't really given enough time/attention to be developed at all. So when the ending comes, and tells you what happened to them, you don't really care. Overall though, worth the watch.

Edited by D-Money

On 16/08/2017 at 3:56 PM, Monty said:

Whiplash - 9.5/10

Better the second time around.

10 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Loved this film

While I loved it the first time, I appreciated on another, smaller level this time around. After having a child of my own, that last scene with Paul Reiser was really well done.

I'd give the film a perfect score if it wasn't for one sequence/scene that I didn't think really fit the film.

Spoiler

Car crash and subsequent performance afterwards.

While I understood why this was told this way and what it meant to accomplish, I don't think it was:

a: Believable with the rest of the events of the film; and 

b: Needed

I understand that it explained Teller's dedication, but that was already being explained in a believable way already in the film. What happened in that moment and the "fallout" afterwards, could have been written and told in a much more believable way that would have fit the film's narrative.

However, as per my score, I still love it and find this one scene to be pretty minor as far as a "nitpick". What the scene got across, while I didn't like it, was effective nonetheless. 

16 hours ago, Monty said:

While I loved it the first time, I appreciated on another, smaller level this time around. After having a child of my own, that last scene with Paul Reiser was really well done.

I'd give the film a perfect score if it wasn't for one sequence/scene that I didn't think really fit the film.

Reveal hidden contents

Car crash and subsequent performance afterwards.

While I understood why this was told this way and what it meant to accomplish, I don't think it was:

a: Believable with the rest of the events of the film; and 

b: Needed

I understand that it explained Teller's dedication, but that was already being explained in a believable way already in the film. What happened in that moment and the "fallout" afterwards, could have been written and told in a much more believable way that would have fit the film's narrative.

However, as per my score, I still love it and find this one scene to be pretty minor as far as a "nitpick". What the scene got across, while I didn't like it, was effective nonetheless. 

I agree about the accident scene, didn't know there was an original version either.  I only watch movies on moviecentral but I saw three movies in a row with Teller: Wardogs, Whiplash, and Get a Job.  Before that I've never heard of him, lucky guy has had some beautiful on screen girlfriends... 

Man on Wire - 6/10

Took me a long time to get around to watching this, and I don't really get the glowing reviews. I mean, it was cool to see the wire-walking footage, and semi-interesting to know how the twin tower walk came together. But there's not really 90 minutes worth of interesting material here. And by the ending I had a strong distaste for Phillipe the person...

Spoiler

So the moment this guy gets an ounce of fame, he ditches all the people who helped him. Because of his sudden publicity, the authorities offer him a deal with virtually no punishment. He doesn't even think about getting deals for his friends/associates. So they're all getting expelled from the country - including his longtime girlfriend - while he's spending the week shacked up with some new groupie who wanted to sleep with him because he was famous. And decades later he's still revelling in how great it all was. What a douchebag.

Stranger Than Fiction - 7.5/10

Still a great film. However, I haven't watched it in about 9 years, so I noticed more plotholes then before. That said, the viewer must accept from the get go that this is "fantasy". However, still plot holes that lower it this time around.

Average rating for Dunkirk in this thread seems to about 9.

I give it a 4? :(

Awesome images, scenery and sound but no real plot, no real characters, couldn't hear half the dialogue and very repetitive (movie could have been half as long without really losing anything).

I don't understand the greatness but I understand I'm in the minority here :P just my opinion.

Edited by kanucks25

MV5BZmQ1ZDc0MDAtNjVmYi00MDkxLWE5MDItZmJm

A free man after years in prison, Carlito Brigante (Al Pacino) intends to give up his criminal ways, but it's not long before the ex-con is sucked back into the New York City underworld. Reconnecting with his dancer girlfriend, Gail (Penelope Ann Miller), Carlito gets entangled in the shady dealings of his friend Dave Kleinfeld (Sean Penn), who also serves as his lawyer. When Carlito and Kleinfeld run afoul of shifty gangster Benny Blanco (John Leguizamo), it sets them on a dangerous path.

Initial release: November 7, 1993 (USA)

9.5 out of 10. Came highly recommended and rightly so. Would watch again.

• Upvote 1

Loving 8/10

This was a good film based on an interracial couple in Virginia who is forced to move to DC because of segregation laws.  It has Nick Kroll in it as a lawyer which is the first time I've seen him in a non comedy, I didn't recognise anyone else in the film.

Edited by Tre Mac

:picard: 

News just came in from "Hollywood" that WB is working on a Joker origins film, with Martin Scorsese set to produce.

While you may think the idea of an origin film for an iconic comic villain is best left with no origin, you're in luck! Because "The Hangover" director/writer Todd Phillips is set to direct and write the film :huh:

While this is years away from coming to theatres, I eagerly await Red Letter Media ripping this film a new one.

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The Joker: "Do I look like I have a plan?"

Todd Phillips: "...This...this speaks to me."

I completely understand why Mr. Hollywood insists on barfing out things like this. It's guaranteed money. And when the number of flops that are churned out continue to rise, it's 100% understandable.

So I'm not one of those people who say, "Don't mess with my youth (ie: Ghostbusters)", or "This is a really bad idea, don't make it (ie: Joker origin film)." Make it and makes your money, Hollywood. It's understandable. But at least act like you give a sh*t. Todd Phillips? Are you kidding me?

I will say that, if this does indeed go ahead, they should cast Caleb Landry Jones (as the rumour is they'll be casting younger). He was phenomenal in "Get Out" and his bit parts in the Twin Peaks 2017 revival. When watching Get Out, I said to myself, "He'd make a great Joker."IMG_1891.JPG.a176db2d8f7aec61ce27cd2e40d459c4.JPG

La La Land

Avoided watching this for a while. I then tried watching it a number of months ago and turned it off after 20ish minutes. However, after watching "Whiplash" again, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Postivies:

Directed well

Beautiful cinematography 

Original songs in a musical (what are the odds?)

Negatives:

Everything else