The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Warning Signs Surrounding Zack Kassian

King of the ES

His skating weakness is compounded by his inability to read plays and it causes him to struggle.

So in 6 years he still can't figure out how to do anything but score.

... I will answer to it by asking you to find ANY post where I ever said that CoHo was good in the last few years. I have been complaining about him since day 1.

PPG in his second year in the league.The guy is a bust.

Buffalo's lost 3/4 of their last games. We've won 3/4.

Cody may be on a tear, but he's also been a minus player in the majority of his recent games and it doesn't mean his team is winning. That's what counts - moreso than superstars or individual performances. Sure, that can't be pinned on him but, if we're looking at team success/failure, Buffalo sits at a whopping 25th and we're currently 7th in the league overall.

I don't watch Cody anymore, but Zack appears to be a spark in the line up and is a great team player. I give Cody props....he's a great young player whose star will continue to shine...but we needed some grit and someone adaptable. Someone parked in front of the net who would accept various roles. Cody's camp seemed determined for one and it just didn't fit here with the existing line up.

We'll be ok with this trade.

Mayor of Rightville there. Heh, I don't think the thread needs to continue.

In a sense, kassian is also a victim of his own versatility. He is able to fill many different roles, which means he is one of the few players that AV can move up and down the lineup and be sure of his success.

That's a great asset to have - and being so young, the fact that Kassian handles that so well and plays well with whomever his linemates are is very impressive imo.

Cody Hodgson's lack of hockey sense was one of the reasons he was turned down the contract he wanted and was traded not long after. His defensive lapses were too great to warrant a Bieksa equivellant contract. His skating weakness is compounded by his inability to read plays and it causes him to struggle. Although it is common for Rookies to have this problem, it was so prevalent that it has been the main focus of his training since the OHL in 2007. So in 6 years he still can't figure out how to do anything but score. Not that its bad having a guy that can score like Cody can, but when he doesn't have the puck, better hope the opponents blow a tire because that is the only way he gets the puck back.

And which Sabres site are you going too? I go to sabres.nhl.com. and their discussion of the Kassian Hodgson trade hasn't left the first page of their forums in almost a YEAR. And while a couple of them say it was a fair trade, 90% of them brag about how they won the trade, you should check it out sometime. Also note that there is approximately 1- 2 new threads started a week and that the moderators don't even have a thousand posts and they are lucky to get 5 new posts a day, but yeah lets compare that to the CDC.

And if your going to bring up that the CoHo hatred has reached a new low in the same paragraph that you are calling me out for stating facts, I will answer to it by asking you to find ANY post where I ever said that CoHo was good in the last few years. I have been complaining about him since day 1. So if you are referring to the CDC in general could you try to be more specific as so I am not wasting my time defending the same position I have always held, and apparantely the management of the Canucks agrees with as well.

I don't recall contract talks with Cody -I thought he was still on his entry level contract. No?

Vision and hockey IQ come in many forms. Most people would agree that Cody has very good offensive hockey sense. That is what he is best at. Defensive weakeness can be improved (see Steve Yzerman's first 3 years in the NHL -his 3rd year 51g with -24). Yzerman had to learn the defensive game as well. No, I'm not comparing Coho to Stevie Y. Cody is in his 3rd nhl year, although his first only had 8 games. He is now playing on the first line with Buffalo, against other top lines. It's quite a learning curve right now.

There is more Buf discussion at:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1218103&page=24

You have to search through to the 3rd page, as the fans appear to have moved on from this thread.

I was referring to CDC in general, but specifically your comment that Cody has no hockey IQ or instincts. Knowledgable hockey people have been praising his IQ and isntincts for years and commenting that it's his greatest strength.

Cody would still be playing for the Canucks if he hadn't asked for a trade.

Say what you want, but I think it is far to early to write this kid off. I think he will be very good nhl player in years to come.

I really don't want to give the impression that I am upset about the Hodgson trade. From what I've seen of Zak, he is far better suited to the team requirements. I am very happy about this trade. Kassian was floundering with the Sabres and they were desperate for a top 6 centerman. It was a good trade for both teams.

I haven't seen many people actually hate on Cody here. Most people have praised both Zack and Cody, while pointing out their strengths and weaknesses. For some reason KotES sees Zack love as Cody hate, and can't see Zack playing really well through his poop glasses.

The only lost cause in this situation are the posters who are hating on one of two really good young players that seem to have found great homes on their new teams.

Kassian has better hands than Gretzky.

All I can picture when I read this is Kassian in a George Castanza-like scenario where people are drooling over Kassian modeling watches. Meanwhile, Gretzky is somewhere sulking silently in a corner.

I agree the whole "Cody hate" thing is overblown.

One mention of Cody's weaknesses (and yes he does have some) and it's "OMG Way to put down a player to support another"

No its pointing out what is actually going on.

Isn't this the Kassian thread?

It is a start to convince yourself you are going to get over your Cody hate.

I ain't buying it,myself.

I haven't seen many people actually hate on Cody here. Most people have praised both Zack and Cody, while pointing out their strengths and weaknesses. For some reason KotES sees Zack love as Cody hate, and can't see Zack playing really well through his poop glasses.

The only lost cause in this situation are the posters who are hating on one of two really good young players that seem to have found great homes on their new teams.

I for one do hate Cody but not because of his production or because he was traded. My friends and I have met a lot of players who were very hateable on the ice and came away going "What a nice guy!" Cody is the exact opposite, an absolute turd to talk to. It's no wonder he got booted from this team as that personality would have been a locker room cancer.

All's quiet at Buffalo right now because he's playing 1C but I doubt he holds that position for the long term, and once he is demoted I expect him to dig the same hole for himself that he did here. He's a prima donna on skates not a hockey player.

I for one do hate Cody but not because of his production or because he was traded. My friends and I have met a lot of players who were very hateable on the ice and came away going "What a nice guy!" Cody is the exact opposite, an absolute turd to talk to. It's no wonder he got booted from this team as that personality would have been a locker room cancer.

All's quiet at Buffalo right now because he's playing 1C but I doubt he holds that position for the long term, and once he is demoted I expect him to dig the same hole for himself that he did here. He's a prima donna on skates not a hockey player.

Traded to the Leafs within two years is my prediction ..

Archived