The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

I think the mystery team is either Philly or NYI.

MG said there is a player the team wants to return that the canucks don't want, which I' guessing is either Depietro or Bryz. Those honestly are the only teams I can see being this mystery team. Couturier, or Ninoreiter as the centrepieces of the of the other team.

Quite a few of you are confident it is SJ, which is odd, seeing as it has always been assumed it is a team in the East we're trading with.

Couture is very unlikely... Pavelski would be a sweet return and seems unlikely as well.

Also, Schneider getting the start vs. Calgary doesn't prove a deal is done. He's our number 1 at the moment, isn't he?

I don't think you could share a buyout per se but the Isles could agree to keep half of Dipietro's salary and cap hit in a deal essentially making it the same thing. However, you'd need to ask yourself, would the Canucks rush to buy out Dipietro if his cap hit was just $2.25 mil? Maybe they would hang on to him for a year or two to see how he plays in a limited role here.

I do think elvis15 was on to something about Streit though. Perchance the 'other player' MG was refering to is Lubo and that the Isles are reluctant to move Streit until they know Visnovsky is reporting. That would make perfect sense to me

Lou

Ballard

Raymond

for

Streit

Bailey

Nino

Dipietro ( whereby NYI absorb 50% of his cap hit )

Alternatively I could also see in MG's quote that he may be pushing for Nabokov in place of a cheapened Dipietro. This would answer the question about his comments regarding taking back cap they don't want and 'not what they're trying to do'. What they're trying to do is get one year out of Nabby and promote Lack next next. Maybe?

It could be all a push to get the Isles to absorb Dipietro's contract.

Good point on the first paragraph. They certainly can't pay for half a buyout, but they can choose to keep half his cap hit and pay a part of his salary. that might be enough to make it attractive to the Canucks but hard to say. Not sure how they could get a cheaper DiPietro under the new CBA though (so that we could get Nabby like you mentioned).

Streit's outside the box, I admit, but maybe not any more unlikely than trading with NYI (or SJ, or Wash) to begin with.

Lack makes only $850K in the second year of his deal so it'd still be exempt from our cap since it's under $900K. It is a fair amount to spend on a tandem though (even considering NYR and Nash) but it has the benefit of Neimi only having 2 years left on it. We could even buy him out in the summer if we felt we wanted to clear more cap space or to make room for Lack, which would be much more affordable than buying out Bryz or DiPietro (or Luongo!) like some are suggesting.

I still don't see it but the discussion is interesting.

Don't think you can include Jensen and Schroeder in that conversation...

Ninno is a big beastly sized winger, but is he tough? (honest question) Do they send guys up the Swiss Alps to fight, and only one guy returns with two less teeth, or am I misunderstanding something here?

and Schroeder in the middle.....skill speed, toughness

To the people here saying they would pick Pavelski over Clowe... youre nuts.

I dont care if he's a UFA or not, you dont pass over a tough character player like Clowe. He is someone we need in the top 6.

Pavelski is nice, but he's a 3rd line center at best on a cup contender and he's making 4m...

MG will trade for the best player he's offered, he can easily make a deadline deal for a temporary 3rd line center if Shroeder doesnt pan out.

He has shown the ability to sign players at a reasonable price, Clowe is 30 yrs old now, he wants to play for a cup contender and im sure MG can make room for a player like him.

Malhotra and Raymond gone next year = enough money to sign Clowe at around 5m ish, buy out ballard and we've got enough room.

It's crazy talk that people here actually believe Pavelski is better than Clowe.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Clowe

Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen

Weise - Lappiere - Kassian

Be curious to watch how Schroeder is used tomorrow...keep an eye on where he's being played, faceoffs etc. If they are utilizing him in highly offensive situations primarily...perhaps they are pulling a CoHo and he'll be part of a Lou deal?

Just something to think about... (not taking anything away from Schroeds nor suggesting Ebbett doesn't deserve to be sitting), simply that if we get a young center or young player/prospect coming back, other side may be asking for a young offensive player as part of any deal..

Archived