61 replies to this topic

#31 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,205 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

They want to stay in Russia for the same reason you would want to stay in Canada.

They a 20+ hour flight away, in a country they know little about.

So many times I've said this, jesus how does everyone not understand these people are leaving their families and homes to come here Its not something everyone wants to do.

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#32 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

So many times I've said this, jesus how does everyone not understand these people are leaving their families and homes to come here Its not something everyone wants to do.

Exactly. People wouldn't be complaining if it was Canadian players bolting from the KHL to play at home in the NHL.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#33 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

I'm sure glad Gillis didn't get Radulov. Beyond that, this is all a hackneyed generalization.
Posted Image

LUC BOURDON: FEB 16TH, 1987 - MAY 29TH, 2008

#34 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

he never said they were talentless

sht even ovi is saying he wants to look at the new cba before he stays , wtf is that

kovy saying hes staying screwing over a team that went to the cup final

our own russian prospect shirokov the whole site had a hard on for , he fled when it was evident he'd have to work to make the team

dont try and act like signing a russian player isnt sketchy now that the khl is around , they seem to want to threaten and run to it whenever necessary

that said , not all russians are bad , but gillis is smart for avoiding them

I'd argue that every player on my list also had a great work ethic and was liked by all their teammates. You could argue that Ovechkin is the exception. People love to stereotype Russians. The OP talked about how all the Russian stars have dishonored their contracts by fleeing to the KHL.

I argue that with the exception of Radulov, and possibly Kovalchuk, there is no other case of this happening. Maybe Kovalchuk is just sticking around to play in the AllStar game to say thanks to Russian fans, who have been paying to see him play all season and likely purchased an allstar ticket to see him play. You could actually say that Kovalchuk is showing some loyalty, just not loyalty to who you guys want him to be loyal to.

Edited by Down by the River, 09 January 2013 - 10:42 AM.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#35 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Exactly. People wouldn't be complaining if it was Canadian players bolting from the KHL to play at home in the NHL.

Indeed. Probably KHL fans right now are cursing North American players who couldn't stick to a commitment to their favourite team just to run off half the world away (to a league staunchly determined to screw them over, no less), while applauding the Russian stars that do have some loyalty to their KHL teammates and fans.
Posted Image

LUC BOURDON: FEB 16TH, 1987 - MAY 29TH, 2008

#36 darkpoet

darkpoet

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

When you can pick a 2nd round talent in the 6th or 7th round, which has happened, its well worth the risk to draft a Russian.

Apparently not.

If a "2nd round talent" isn't picked by the 6th or 7th round, he's clearly been passed over for a reason.

Your comment plays right into what the OP is saying.

#37 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Exactly. Don't get them because they always want to go home,
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#38 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,741 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Posted Image

What about him? Good ol' OHL boy, Rookie of the Year.

#39 TLindenIsGod

TLindenIsGod

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

On Facebook Pavel Datsyuk said "Going to the Russian KHL All Star Game (this weekend) in Chelyabinsk. Can't wait to be back in Detroit on Monday evening." I would not be too surprised if Kovalchuk follows suit.

Edited by TLindenIsGod, 09 January 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#40 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,916 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

he never said they were talentless

sht even ovi is saying he wants to look at the new cba before he stays , wtf is that

kovy saying hes staying screwing over a team that went to the cup final

our own russian prospect shirokov the whole site had a hard on for , he fled when it was evident he'd have to work to make the team

dont try and act like signing a russian player isnt sketchy now that the khl is around , they seem to want to threaten and run to it whenever necessary

that said , not all russians are bad , but gillis is smart for avoiding them

Shirokov did enough to get some more games on our team, he got called up and scored and created chances, then got benched and sent down, I don't blame him, I blame AV.

The lockout was a sh!t show, I don't blame Kovy and whoever else for not bolting back here. Especially when the CBA isn't signed yet.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#41 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,781 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Bear in mind folks, that it's not really up to the players themselves.

The NHL and KHL have a deal. The KHL is not supposed to take players who are under an NHL contract. If the KHL decides to ignore that agreement, then the proverbial can of worms is opened. However, this has not happened yet.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#42 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,781 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

On Facebook Pavel Datsyuk said "Going to the Russian KHL All Star Game (this weekend) in Chelyabinsk. Can't wait to be back in Detroit on Monday evening." I would not be too surprised if Kovalchuk follows suit.

Datsyuk has permission from the Wings to take part in the All-Star game before returning to N.A. Kovy may or may not have asked the Devils for permission as well, but there doesn't seem to be any solid info either way.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#43 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

This thread is bad and you should feel bad.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#44 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

The Canucks wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Pavel Bure...

This is quite possibly true. Times were tough in the late 90s and if we hadn't been so much better in the early 90s, fans may have gotten too frustrated and impatient to fund an NHL team.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#45 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Posted Image

I was gonna say something but then I saw this lol
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#46 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Datsyuk has permission from the Wings to take part in the All-Star game before returning to N.A. Kovy may or may not have asked the Devils for permission as well, but there doesn't seem to be any solid info either way.

I've always felt Datsyuk was a classy guy, how can you not be playing for the Red Wings for so long?

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#47 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

I see there's some still some discrimination alive and well in hockey. Sad to see.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#48 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

That's one of the things I like about Gillis, he hated Russians. He doesn't draft them, doesn't sign them.

Why? Do I need to tell you? Now that the lock-out is over, how many want to violate their contract? Do I need to say the story of Radulov and the countless Russians who bolted for Mother Russia?

We should get Canadians, first and foremost, Americans and Swedish to be successful. Probably a few Danes,

First of all the lockout is not over. Second of all, one could easily argue that it is the owners who initiated the violation of contracts by cutting the salaries of deals that were already signed prior to the lockout.

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#49 Mad Cow Disease

Mad Cow Disease

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Classic CDC nonsense thread. Love it!

#50 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

That's one of the things I like about Gillis, he hated Russians. He doesn't draft them, doesn't sign them.

Why? Do I need to tell you? Now that the lock-out is over, how many want to violate their contract? Do I need to say the story of Radulov and the countless Russians who bolted for Mother Russia?

We should get Canadians, first and foremost, Americans and Swedish to be successful. Probably a few Danes,

Do us all a favor. Go to bed, wake up, clear the obvious cobwebs out of your delusional mind, read your thread again, go to the nearest mirror and face palm yourself .

tumblr_m9hjp8vrqX1reh8b2o1_250.gif

Once, on vacation,  using only a rake and a pair of sunglasses,

I single-handedly defended a small village in Italy from a colony of angry wasps. :ph34r:

#51 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

Best and most logical post in this thread :D I imagine the OP is rolling up into a little ball of hate on the couch as we speak.

tumblr_m9hjp8vrqX1reh8b2o1_250.gif

Once, on vacation,  using only a rake and a pair of sunglasses,

I single-handedly defended a small village in Italy from a colony of angry wasps. :ph34r:

#52 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,836 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

What makes you think you can speak for Mike Gillis?

Posted Image

#53 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Juat reading on his actions. He drafted zero Russians during his tenure and he cleaned up all the Russians he could find in the system........and he did not retire Bure's number.

#54 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

Best and most logical post in this thread :D I imagine the OP is rolling up into a little ball of hate on the couch as we speak.

I actually agree with that post you're talking about. Do not take away Russians from their motherland. It's hard for them to leave their families.

#55 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,877 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Lindros and Daigle had prima donna attitudes. It's not exclusive to Russians.

Agreed. Although, some russian players will make more money playing at home so it's not really about attitude.
Posted Image

#56 Pablo

Pablo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Thats why we got him as our GM! Racism is what you look for when you get a GM. Gosh I love the 80s.

#57 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

As a Canadian I'd prefer Canadian players but I'm not against having Americans, Swedes, Russians etc...

SYvE9NH.gif

#58 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

"Ilya Kovalchuk is finding his way back to the National Hockey League.
According to Dmitry Chesnokov of Yahoo Sports, SKA St. Petersburg coach Jukka Jalonen said that Thursday’s game against Salavat Yulaev in Ufa, Russia was likely Kovalchuk’s last in the KHL this season, which means he’ll leave for New Jersey as early as Monday"

another idiotic fail thread by this gimp

#59 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

As a Canadian I'd prefer Canadian players but I'm not against having Americans, Swedes, Russians etc...

I am of the same opinion. I'm sure everyone on earth is slightly more partial to fellow countrymen.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#60 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

People should be careful not to use words like Canadians as that is not fair to the rest of us. Its more of a NHL - European hockey league thing.

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.