Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Rumor: Edler for Benn? Boucher for backup?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#1 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

Some crazy rumors going around in Dallas and here locally before camps start. From the Hfboards and twitter handle Krufrank stating that a) luongo to Philly for gross man may have weight as Edler will be dealt to Dallas for Benn. Apparently Benn doesn't want to re-sign in Dallas. Gillis does covet the big bodies. Does he play center I wonder..

Also states that carolina and vancouver will deal a d man for Boucher (backup). Canucks do have history with the canes but not to keen on this deal.

Fwiw.

#2 SOB for MVP

SOB for MVP

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,305 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

sig by -VC-

#3 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

I'm sure that someone with the twitter handle of 'Krufrank' is very reliable. Also, nobody wants a gross man. Why would we trade Luongo for one?
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#4 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

Interesting. Benn is having some contract negotiation drama that seems to have flown mostly under the radar:

http://www.defending...benn-on-the-ice

#5 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

i doubt it , i mean benn is the stars future
Posted Image

#6 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,182 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

In July, Boucher was supposed to miss 4-6 months with shoulder surgery link So I wonder if he's even ready to play?

I read the Benn thing elsewhere as well. 'Rumors' that he didn't want to resign w/ Dallas. Of course, there seems to be those types of rumors everytime an RFA goes unsigned. I can't imagine Dallas would ever trade their franchise player for a rental in Edler? Seems to odd for me.

Edited by RunningWild, 11 January 2013 - 01:05 AM.

#7 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,473 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

This Krufrank guy is a 'hockey nut' as self described on his twitter page, but that hardly qualifies him as a valid source. HfBoards doesn't count either. No reason to believe either.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#8 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

we must be interested in PK too
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#9 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,425 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

I can't see it happening. I would definitely trade Edler for Benn though. I really don't understand why the Canucks would ask for Grossman as the centerpiece in an exchange for Luongo. Grossman does not begin to replace the offense lost trading Edler so unless the plan was to slide Ballard into a top 4 offensive role (and I think we all know how AV feels about that possibility) and have Grossman anchor the 3rd pairing, I just don't see the point there.

Edited by wallstreetamigo, 11 January 2013 - 01:30 AM.

#10 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

Grossman doesn't replace the giant hole that Edler would leave. This deal doesn't make sense at all.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#11 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

Where's the SOURCE of the canes/canucks stars/canucks thing?
Posted Image
Thank you VC!

#12 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

Grossman doesn't replace the giant hole that Edler would leave. This deal doesn't make sense at all.

(this is a baseless speculation rumour deal, but...) I read it as two separate deals. The Edler/Benn deal makes more sense if Lu goes to TO as opposed to Philly. Gardiner takes Edler's spot, plus Kadri.

#13 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

https://twitter.com/krufrank

Not a legit source. Only 444 followers.

Mods should lock this up.

Posted Image

#14 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

No team is going to want to trade for Edler without seeing how he is recovering from his surgery unless they trade for him at a major discount.

Benn = Edler, 1st, Gaunce minimum

#15 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

This one is definitely sketchy. Not a whole lot of logic, just a 13 y/o thinking the two players could switch and be decent pieces for each other. As was pointed out, Edler is an FA at the end of this season, his value as a rental does not equate that kind of significant return.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#16 LegionOfDoom

LegionOfDoom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

Ill be the first to buy his jersey! ;) ....only can dream

#17 Virt 'n Kass

Virt 'n Kass

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:54 AM

Much as I'd love to get Benn, that deal ain't happening. He's too valuable to the Stars, and even if they did end up moving him they'd be able to get way more in return than just Eddie. As good as AE23 is, he's no Jamie Benn.

#18 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:17 AM

Read the bottom of your sig, and realize it may make sense...

Just being a smart alec, but still...
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#19 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

Man, I love Edler. He's pbbly my favorite player on the team. But, I would trade him for Benn. I am very hesitant but this team needs a player like Benn up front. The kid is a premier power forward in the league. All of sudden Canucks would look a lot different with Benn and Kassian on the team.

It would be a great hockey trade for both teams. Only thing that makes me not believe this rumor is that Edler is a UFA at end of year. Unless he agrees to sign an extension with Dallas I don't see the Stars making this deal.

As far as Luongo for Grossman goes, he is a real solid defensive Dman. He is the Stars go to PK Dman, plays over 18 mins per game and has huge size which he utilizes. This is exactly the type of Dman the Canucks have been missing. IF there is a deal with Philly I would assume prospects would also trade places, 1 going each way with the Canucks getting the better one.

Hammer Bieksa
Grossman Garrison
Ballard Tanev
Alberts Connaughton

Dfense looks a lot tougher to play against. Edler is a 50 point Dman so you lose some offense but Garrison can make up for some of that loss. Especially with PP time with the Sedins you never know what he will do.

#20 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

Read the bottom of your sig, and realize it may make sense...

Just being a smart alec, but still...

I always wondered who is Alec? and is he really that smart? or is he just a jerk?
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#21 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

Grossman is a shut down Dman, doesn't score many points. Garrison is the one who would get the PP time with Sedins and expected to contribute offense.

#22 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

Grossman is a shut down Dman, doesn't score many points. Garrison is the one who would get the PP time with Sedins and expected to contribute offense.

Grossman will not replace Edler in the slightest. You're either overrating Grossman, or underrating Edler.

Grossman is a bottom pairing defenseman not a top 4.

And if Garrison doesn't have a repeat season at least, the loss of Salo and then Edler would be devastating to our powerplay. The Sedins points would drop, and our offense would dry up. Don't underestimate the value that Edler's puck moving ability brings to the Sedins game.

Posted Image

#23 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

Grossman will not replace Edler in the slightest. You're either overrating Grossman, or underrating Edler.

Grossman is a bottom pairing defenseman not a top 4.

And if Garrison doesn't have a repeat season at least, the loss of Salo and then Edler would be devastating to our powerplay. The Sedins points would drop, and our offense would dry up. Don't underestimate the value that Edler's puck moving ability brings to the Sedins game.

Did you read my post before quoting it and responding? I'll repeat.

Grossman is a shut down Dman, he is not expected to replace Edler and his 49 pts.

As I said Garrison is the one who would get PP time and contribute offense.

#24 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

Did you read my post before quoting it and responding? I'll repeat.

Grossman is a shut down Dman, he is not expected to replace Edler and his 49 pts.

As I said Garrison is the one who would get PP time and contribute offense.

Yes I did. And I responded by saying Grossman is not a top 4.

And again I said, if Garrison shows that last season was just a blip, then we're going to be in big trouble trying to create offense from the back end.

Posted Image

#25 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:42 AM

Yes I did. And I responded by saying Grossman is not a top 4.

And again I said, if Garrison shows that last season was just a blip, then we're going to be in big trouble trying to create offense from the back end.

Yeah but your post which I quoted to start this converstation said that Grossman will not replace Edler. That's why I quoted it and said Grossman is a shut down D which means he will not be expected to replace Edler. This is the reason I brought up Garrison and his offense + potential offense with PP time with Sedins.

How am I overrating Grossman or underrating Edler when I don't even compare the two. Grossman is not supposed to replace Edler.

Why would you repeat your post when I already said Grossman is a shut down D hence he isn't supposed to replace Edler?

Edited by WHL rocks, 11 January 2013 - 02:44 AM.

#26 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

Yeah but your post which I quoted to start this converstation said that Grossman will not replace Edler. That's why I quoted it and said Grossman is a shut down D which means he will not be expected to replace Edler. This is the reason I brought up Garrison and his offense + potential offense with PP time with Sedins.

How am I overrating Grossman or underrating Edler when I don't even compare the two. Grossman is not supposed to replace Edler.

Why would you repeat your post when I already said Grossman is a shut down D hence he isn't supposed to replace Edler?

Edler is a top 4 defenseman on this team.

If we trade him, we're in need of a top 4 defenseman.

Trading for Grossman does not fill that need for a top 4 defenseman.

I never said anything about points. I said Grossman is not a top 4. Whether it be a shutdown guy or an offensive guy (which I already know he isn't)

If Grossman is the guy brought in to fill in Edler's spot on the second pairing, why wouldn't you compare the two? We would be putting alot of pressure on Garrison if we trade Edler.

Posted Image

#27 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:59 AM

Ya I guess Ballard and Grossman split time as 4D depending on who the competition is and what kind of lineup is needed.

I don't think there is a big point in worrying about Edler leaving, Dallas wouldn't trade Benn for a pending UFA anyways.

Grossman would be coming in a potential Luongo trade. Not Edler trade.

#28 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:03 AM

Uh not to be a dick but.....read your post to yourself a few times and maybe the contradiction will set in :blink: Why would they waste time on changing Grossman`s skill set to one he clearly is not.

Edited by vanfan73, 11 January 2013 - 03:04 AM.

bmw-e30-m3-drift-o.gif

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society 

-Krishnamurti-            

#29 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:15 AM

Uh not to be a dick but.....read your post to yourself a few times and maybe the contradiction will set in :blink: Why would they waste time on changing Grossman`s skill set to one he clearly is not.

LOL, don't worry I don't think you are being a .......

#30 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

no thanks jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.