The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] - Schroeder sent down

It is only to do with waivers and the 23 man roster that he's down. That may change at any point if they decide one of the other players is less valuable to us than Schroeder would be, but currently it has nothing to do with cap from what I can see.

Someone feel free to show me how that's wrong though.

Unless I've missed something since my last post, I'm not sure it matters how much cap space we have and is more of a roster issue. According to capgeek, we have $69+M in cap with a 25 man roster (Kesler and Booth included). If that were even possible, we'd still have over $1M in cap space, so we could easily swap out one of our current roster players for Schroeder.

It is only to do with waivers and the 23 man roster that he's down. That may change at any point if they decide one of the other players is less valuable to us than Schroeder would be, but currently it has nothing to do with cap from what I can see.

Someone feel free to show me how that's wrong though.

It has been said repeatedly so I am not sure if people just aren't reading the thread before posting or are just in denial about Schroeder being sent down.

Last year we had to do some fancy juggling the first day of the season to max our LTIR cap relief... this year it is simply roster spaces. There are 23 players on the roster right now... unless someone beyond Kesler and Booth goes on LTIR or someone else gets sent down there will be no recalling of Schroeder.

What's the big down on Ebbett?

The guy has a lot of NHL experience. He will play with Raymond and Kassian/? just as well as Schroeder would. That game was a scrimmage and Schroeder would have found playing in the real games as difficult as Raymond would find netting a hat-trick every night.

This is not a full season, all you guys realise that but you still expect AV and MG to act like it is. We need to get off to a great start and if we kick a few asses and create a cushion, I'm sure Schroeder will get his chance.

If AV had played Schroeder and we stank it up and went 3, 4 games winless, people (the more ignorant, which means quite a few) would have blamed guys like Schroeder and what would that have done to his confidence.

AV is spot on and the lad will be played if and when we create a comfort zone..........that's the smart move. (Or of course if AE bombs :sick: )

Well I don't know what AV & G expect. Somtimes it seems like they expect rookies to come in and perform like NHL regulars, without any ups and downs or learning curves.

We're going to have a hard time developing prospects if those continue to be the expectations. It's rare for rookies to just come in and hit the ground running. Even the best prospects have a learning curve.

I like that we're trying to model ourselves after Detroit though. We should let our prospects tough it out in the minors until they're fully developed. But even the Red Wings give their prospects a taste of the NHL once and a while. Schroeder should have been given a few games last season IMO. Just enough to keep him hungry.

Maybe the coach just doesn't think he's good enough? It seems like everyone here just assumes he can play at the NHL level but he didn't make the team even with two key forwards out and some serious questions up the middle. And he's on an ELC? On a team that is up against the cap? Maybe they are just juggling the lineup to protect players frow waivers but its sort of a statement if you ask me. If they really believed in the kid he would have a roster spot. This seemingly is his chance but time and again when Gillis needs centers he has overlooked Schroeder. It's sad but I think his window is closing. The opportunities will get smaller once Kesler is back and you have to assume Gillis will add at least one C before the deadline.

I hope he gets moved by the deadline and at least gets a chance. Maybe he can't play at the NHL level but even Haydar had a few games.

Schroeder is probably good enough to make the team, but the problem here, stated over many time here is wavier. However that being said I don't think Ebbett is that important of a depth player. If he gets claimed, we won't suffer from it. Schroeder should be given a chance. Another way of looking this is that Ebbett is not centering the second line, Higgin has the ability to play center if that way the Ebbett is potentially playing on the 4th line. I am fine with that. I wouldn't want Schroeder to play 4th line mintues

I'm sure the hesitancy stems from someone like Nonis claiming Ebbett should we place him on waivers. Imagine where that would leave us if JS got blindsided by Getzlaf, Peckham or Fistric. We'd be left with Alex Friesen for centre choices and in an even weaker Luongo bargaining position.

Counter to this is maybe they felt they didn't want to put too much pressure on Schroeder.

If you think about how they were grooming CoHo it was the following:

1. Put him on the third line where there wasn't alot of offensive pressure, chip in where you can and its gravy.

2. Play well defensively, learn from Kelser and Sedin.

3. Learn the nuances, finer points of the game with less pressure. Faceoffs, play against better, faster players, etc.

4. Once you show AV that you start getting some spot duty on the PP to allow your offensive instincts to get back into your game now at the NHL level.

5. 20 pts, 30pts, 40 pts, then you're ready for the second line....

6. Only issue was CoHo's daddy cried....

Thats the transition folks, maybe they just feel he's too close and don't want to bust him with alot of pressure out of the gates (2nd line offensive, defensive responsibilities, etc in a shortened season when even his linemates aren't proven).

He'll be called back up but just not right away. AV knows what he's doing as does MG. They want this kid to succeed and have him on the path to.

People on here often seem to forget the Canucks groom their players differently. You learn to play responsibly defensively first then you get to get the ice for the pts. If his game isn't quite there yet defensively playing poorly could really crush this kid who's kept working hard and is doing all the right things...

He'll be a canuck and his size won't hold him back (didn't for ronning and he was terrific, and schroeder can be another ronning), just maybe leave it to the pros to make the right calls on development.

I'm sure the hesitancy stems from someone like Nonis claiming Ebbett should we place him on waivers. Imagine where that would leave us if JS got blindsided by Getzlaf, Peckham or Fistric. We'd be left with Alex Friesen for centre choices and in an even weaker Luongo bargaining position.

Schroeder is probably good enough to make the team, but the problem here, stated over many time here is wavier. However that being said I don't think Ebbett is that important of a depth player. If he gets claimed, we won't suffer from it. Schroeder should be given a chance. Another way of looking this is that Ebbett is not centering the second line, Higgin has the ability to play center if that way the Ebbett is potentially playing on the 4th line. I am fine with that. I wouldn't want Schroeder to play 4th line mintues

Archived