The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

One Canucks trade you'd take back/redo.

MashedBananas

not a trade, but it still bothers me that we let Ohlund go. i know his career is in serious jeopardy right now but he had a great playoff run in 2011 with the lightning, and without Hamhuis in the line up against the bruins, he would be very instrumental instead of that bieksa plug. also i don't have to mention he's my all time favorite canuck as can be seen in my profile pic

not a trade, but it still bothers me that we let Ohlund go. i know his career is in serious jeopardy right now but he had a great playoff run in 2011 with the lightning, and without Hamhuis in the line up against the bruins, he would be very instrumental instead of that bieksa plug. also i don't have to mention he's my all time favorite canuck as can be seen in my profile pic

The Bure trade, we didn't just trade Bure, we gave them Hedican, Brad Ference, and a 3rd round pick in 2000 (Robert Fried). In return we got Ed Jovanovski, Dave Gagner, Mike Brown, Kevin Weekes and Florida's 1st round pick in 2000 (Nathan Smith)

Jovo left after 7 seasons, no trade.

Gagner retired at the end of the season.

Brown played 16 games putting up no points.

Weekes was our backup goalie for two seasons playing 31 games and only winning 6.

Nathan Smith, 4 games no points. (3 of the next 5 picks were Brad Boyes, Steve Ott and Justin Williams)

Hedican played another 9 years.

Ference played another 9 years, the last half in the AHL.

Bure of course, had to retire after 6 years.

Robert Fried did nothing.

Why do people still bring this up?  It made sense to give up Grabner and Bernier (neither fit on the team-- Bernier was a failed PF and Grabner was is a one-trick pony), and the player available with the 1st (Howden) wasn't someone management wanted (otherwise they would've picked Quinton); Ballard was going to be a Top 4 (until Hamhuis signed then he got bumped down) and Oreo looked like a solid Bottom 6 foot soldier

I know at the time the trade seemed reasonable, and there was a chance we would have lost Grabner to waivers anyways. But this is about hindsight, and with hindsight, that has been an absolutely TERRIBLE trade. Not 'worst of all time' by any means, but terrible all the same.

Grabner has gone on to be a quality 2nd line player (could use one of those right now). He is not a "one-trick pony", as he is a constant threat on both special teams and even-strength (he has 3 goals in 3 games so far - 1 regular, 1 PP, and 1 short-handed). Whereas Ballard has only recently not been a complete disaster. The fact that Howden seems to be a good prospect just makes it worse.

other than the big ones already mentioned (Neely, Ballard, Gelinas/McLean, Linden, etc.)...

all of the trades we made at the 2006 deadline. Keith Carney, Eric Weinrich, Mika Noronen and Sean Brown. Holy crap they were terrible, and the team just nosedived after that anyway. I know all we gave up were draft picks and low-end prospects, but yikes, even one of those might've turned into something better down the road than those four.

Is this about hindsight, or are we playing fantasy scenarios where players magically work out?

Grabner went on to get cut by the Panthers and was a waiver wire pickup for his current team. I don't know how anyone can debate the Grabner trade while ignoring that detail. I know everyone's going to be riding his jock since he's off to a hot start this season, but that's not the player we traded... Grabner himself stated that being waived after the trade was the wakeup call that he needed to start playing. There's zero chance imo that Grabner would have amounted to anything in Vancouver. But yes, if we're talking about fantasy land and not ordinary hindsight then a scoring winger would be great to have instead of Ballard.

Bure is the trade that I hated the most, but there are other trades that hurt this team more (Jovo had some great years with Vancouver and Bure had to retire early).

Cam Neely would be the trade that hurt this team the most IMO.

Other bad trades- most of the trade deadline deals when draft picks were swapped for these gems: Geoff Sanderson, Martin Rucinsky, Brian Smolinski, Keith Carney, Brent Sopel, and Eric Weinrech

Off to a hot start this season, not to mention the year he had following his pickup by the Islanders: 34 goals and 52 points in what was technically his rookie season. He's one of the main reasons I watch the Isles, along with Tavares, Okposo and Moulson. I won't lie and say when I watch him adding scoring punch to the Isles I don't wonder what could have been...but I think you're right. He likely wouldn't have amounted to much in Vancouver.

He wouldn't have had the chance to amount to much though, that's why he was in the trade. He was going to be waivers eligible and had underperformed at all of his previous camps. To top it off, we had a pretty much set top 6 with guys like Raymond coming off career years, so someone was going to have to be sent down. Once he underperformed yet again at Florida's camp (Florida's!) he hit waivers and was picked up.

As I mentioned earlier, we could have chosen to move him for something else, but it's highly unlikely we would have been able to keep him without sacrificing someone else. Even then, Grabner was the first to admit that getting waived in Florida gave him motivation to do something with his career and he credits that with why he's improved.

So, it was likely necessary that we needed to move Grabner just as much as we needed another D-man (since Hamhuis wasn't a 100% lock to sign with us).

Archived