35 replies to this topic

#1 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,506 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Loktionov is asking for a trade now while Bernier may not have actually asked for one last year.

Loktionov asks for a trade, Bernier may be singing different tune

Andrei Loktionov played 39 games for the Kings last season, two shy of the required 41 to get his name on the Stanley Cup.

But, don’t confuse the issue here, that’s not what today’s story is about.

This boils down to playing time, something the highly skilled forward isn’t likely to see in Los Angeles anytime soon.

Deep at center, the Kings moved the 22-year old Russian over to the wing two seasons ago. And according to both the player and former coach Terry Murray, that was a failed experiment.

Now, with Jarret Stoll signing a multi-year contract extension last summer, the team is locked up down the middle for many years to come - with Anze Kopitar, Mike Richards and Stoll.

Originally selected in the fifth round of the 2008 draft, Loktionov has battled many highs and lows throughout his early North American career.

In the spring of 2009, his team won the Memorial Cup Championship. Loktionov recorded 33 points in 20 playoff games (second only to teammate and Oilers draft pick Taylor Hall) during the Windsor Spitfires’ run to junior hockey’s top prize.

He then made his NHL debut on November 25, 2009 in Edmonton – and promptly dislocated his shoulder, sidelining him the rest of the way.

The following season saw multiple call-ups from Manchester (AHL) after he initially started 2010-11 with the big club. In total, he posted four goals and three assists in 19 games with the Kings. Once again though, his season was cut short after surgery was needed to repair another shoulder injury.

Last year, he saw time with both the Kings and Monarchs, scoring three goals in 39 regular season NHL games. Loktionov also returned to LA for the playoffs and saw action in two games, recording zero points.

Thus far this season, he’s scored seven goals in 35 games with Manchester.

For now, that’s where he’ll remain.

However, likely realizing he’s on the outside looking in, it was confirmed to MayorsManor earlier today that Loktinov has requested a trade to another NHL team.

Interestingly, it was just three weeks ago that back-up goaltender Jonathan Bernier, who had previously requested a trade, was suddenly singing a slightly different tune.

“Nah, I want to play, that’s it,” said the 24-year old, when asked if he still wanted out of town.

“I can’t really do anything about it,” Bernier continued. “It has been two years since I’ve been in (this) situation. I just want to play. With the (compressed) schedule now, things can change a lot. Hopefully Suttsy can squeeze me in for a few.”

Fine, he did ask for a trade last year.

“It was on TV and they pretty much asked me the same question you guys ask all the time,” explained Bernier. “I just said I’d like to play more, and then the French media sometimes…It was actually at my Cup party, that they asked me if I’d like to play more. I said ‘Obviously, yes. If it’s not going to be in LA, it could be somewhere else’ and it went on from there. That’s when they said I wanted to get moved.”

So, wait, did he ask for a trade?

“Obviously if it’s not going to be here, like I’ve said, I just want to play.”

Those were, at the very least, some interesting answers because just a few months ago he opened up to MayorsManor about his trade request in an article here.

“Well, we all have eyes. We saw how well Quick played last year,” said Bernier, when reminded of the previous interview. “Since I’ve been here he’s been their guy. I think I’ve played in back-to-back games once in two seasons. Plus he just signed a long-term deal - which for me, doesn’t really mean anything because he doesn’t have a non-trade clause. But, at the same time it’s for ten years. So, if I look at it from the outside; there’s not much room for me to play.”

As for GM Dean Lombardi, he made his feelings about Bernier’s situation abundantly clear here.

Now, we’ll just have to wait for some thoughts about the Loktionov request. Although, it be a while, as the Kings’ GM is likely more concerned with finding a quality defenseman at the moment.

Or, perhaps the two stories are related.

We shall see.

I'll reserve my first thought on what people will think/propose when they read the last bolded part.

Edited by elvis15, 30 January 2013 - 06:05 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#2 RKesler_17

RKesler_17

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Don't blame him... hopefully he doesn't take off to the KHL like the rest of them usually do.
Posted Image

#3 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Yeah I'm on his side on this one, he's got alot of talent, enough to play in this league and he will never get the chance on their team.

It is interesting for us but we really have nothing that is a fit at this point, none of our defense are going anywhere at this point in time unless they like Cam Barker.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 30 January 2013 - 06:09 PM.

zackass.png

#4 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,506 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Yeah I'm on his side on this one, he's got alot of talent, enough to play in this league and he will never get the chance on their team.

It is interesting for us but we really have nothing that is a fit at this point, none of our defense are going anywhere at this point in time unless they like Cam Barker.

That was my second thought for what might get posted, close to the first but not quite!

But really, yeah, they had to force him to wing to try and get him playing time but I think he'll find a fit somewhere if they are willing to trade him, depending of course on how much they want back in return.

#5 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,701 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

If he gets traded, it'll be to a team like Columbus (although they don't need another center).

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#6 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

That was my second thought for what might get posted, close to the first but not quite!

But really, yeah, they had to force him to wing to try and get him playing time but I think he'll find a fit somewhere if they are willing to trade him, depending of course on how much they want back in return.

:lol: I'm not being serious, I'm fully aware they actually want a proven defenseman in return for a young player like that.

Maybe Florida would be a fit, Ellerby for Loktionov?

zackass.png

#7 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

I'll reserve my first thought on what people will think/propose when they read the last bolded part.

Lemme guess...Canucks d-man for Loktionov?
Posted Image

#8 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,506 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

:lol: I'm not being serious, I'm fully aware they actually want a proven defenseman in return for a young player like that.

Maybe Florida would be a fit, Ellerby for Loktionov?

I know you were being sarcastic, but I wouldn't put it past some others. B)

Would Florida be a fit? Lots of young centers or center prospects in the system, so not sure where he'd fit - oh wait, it must mean they're thinking of trading one of them so they'd have room!! Luongo for Bjugstad!!!

But I'd think Phoenix might be interested (although in their division), Chicago's been looking for a #2 C for awhile, the Flames could be interested, maybe even with Tampa for the right price.

#9 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

I know you were being sarcastic, but I wouldn't put it past some others. B)

Would Florida be a fit? Lots of young centers or center prospects in the system, so not sure where he'd fit - oh wait, it must mean they're thinking of trading one of them so they'd have room!! Luongo for Bjugstad!!!

But I'd think Phoenix might be interested (although in their division), Chicago's been looking for a #2 C for awhile, the Flames could be interested, maybe even with Tampa for the right price.

Yeah I knew you did :P

And right.. Bjugstad.. Shore.. Do'h! What was I thinking. :picard:

Maybe Chicago would work, but do they have the depth on the backend to give up what LA would want, perhaps Calgary could work, they seem like a nice fit, although is Loktionov an upgrade on Backlund right now? I don't really think so.

Ehhh, this is tougher to find a fit then I thought it would be :P

zackass.png

#10 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,506 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Yeah I knew you did :P

And right.. Bjugstad.. Shore.. Do'h! What was I thinking. :picard:

Maybe Chicago would work, but do they have the depth on the backend to give up what LA would want, perhaps Calgary could work, they seem like a nice fit, although is Loktionov an upgrade on Backlund right now? I don't really think so.

Ehhh, this is tougher to find a fit then I thought it would be :P

Good point about who out of those teams has something to give for defence that LA would want.

As far as Backlund, he's on the 1st line, no? Loktionov would be a 2nd/3rd pairing guy I'd think, probably ahead of Stajan and at least ahead of Jones. They've moved Tanguay into center while waiting for Cervenka to get healthy again, so it might be a good deal for them if he pans out. As far as who the Kings would want, they have $7M in cap space for Bouwmeester (although they wouldn't next year)!

Phoenix - maybe Rundblad or one of their other young prospects (Summers or Goncharov)?
Chicago - would they take on Hjalmarsson?
Tampa - maybe Aulie or would Oberg be good enough?

Some might require a little more work for both sides to match, and the Kings want a D-man for right now

Edited by elvis15, 30 January 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#11 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,076 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Yeah, I can't see them trying to trade with Vancouver.

Could Montreal be a viable trading partner?
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#12 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,506 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Yeah, I can't see them trying to trade with Vancouver.

Could Montreal be a viable trading partner?

Don't they have enough centers already? And I don't think they want another small one even if they don't (he's 5'10").

I honestly don't know enough about him to comment on him as a winger, but the article tends to suggest it didn't work out very well when the Kings did it. Hence, why he's down in the AHL and wants to be traded.

#13 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Can't see any team paying too much for him, he doesn't have a huge value IMO, esp. now that the trade request is public.

For a struggling team, this could be a Naslund-type snag if a change of scenery puts him back to where he was before his stint with the Kings.

#14 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,738 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

To Calgary:
Lokitionov
Bernier
Gagne
Conditional 2nd (1st if Iginla re-signs)

To Kings:
Iginla
Sarich
Irving

Edited by Number14, 30 January 2013 - 11:18 PM.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#15 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

To Calgary:
Lokitionov
Bernier
Gagne

To Kings:
Iginla
Sarich
Irving

A trade that makes zero sense? Good example for sure!

#16 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,506 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

To Calgary:
Lokitionov
Bernier
Gagne

To Kings:
Iginla
Sarich
Irving

That's not a good trade for the Kings. Sure the Kings get Iginla, but they need D and their incentive is Sarich? Bernier is miles better than Irving, Gagner is probably worth as much value-wise as Sarich (if not more) and the Kings still give up Loktionov and a 2nd (potentially a 1st) to get Iginla when they have a lot of top 6 already.

And usually for a conditional pick, it would be where the Kings get something extra if Iginla doesn't re-sign, rather than them giving up a little more if he does.

#17 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,298 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

I'd do Tanev for Loktionov in a heartbeat, maybe some picks to even it up. We have great defensive depth, we need depth at center desperately.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Kesler - Booth
Hansen - Loktionov - Raymond
Higgins - Lapierre - Malhotra

Amazing depth at forward and center is what Cup winners have - quality on defence is more important than depth on defence.
Posted Image

#18 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,498 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:36 AM

I'd do Tanev for Loktionov in a heartbeat, maybe some picks to even it up. We have great defensive depth, we need depth at center desperately.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Kesler - Booth

Amazing depth at forward and center is what Cup winners have - quality on defence is more important than depth on defence.

Tanev has easily been one of our three best D men. Not a chance that trade happens.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#19 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Kesler - Booth

So you pump Tanev's tires.

Say he is easily the best and say he has been carrying Ballard and that he transformed Ballard from a "Pathetic excuse" of an NHL defenseman, to a solid bottom pair option.

Yet you want to trade him for an unproven center in Loktionov when we have one in Schroeder?

I don't get you...

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 31 January 2013 - 01:45 AM.

zackass.png

#20 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:38 AM

Can't blame him, he's not going to get much of a chance at center with those guys ahead of him on the depth chart.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,506 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Kesler - Booth

As others have said, why would you do that? Trade one of the D-man who has played in every game for us so far for a guy who might be 5th or 6th on our depth chart at center once everyone's healthy but wants to play NHL minutes?

We're doing fine with Schroeder and Kesler will be healthy in a few weeks, plus we have Burrows filling in and Lappy and Manny as further cover. I'd try him over Ebbett, sure, but we have plenty of forwards and my first inclination would not be to trade a D for him even if that's what the Kings want.

My quip at the end of the OP was about people probably jumping to suggest Ballard (or as Smashian nicely pointed out, Barker) for him, since we may have to move Ballard's cap hit for next year anyway. I wouldn't move one of our very affordable, young, up and coming D though, and I was only half kidding about moving Ballard as well.

Edited by elvis15, 31 January 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#22 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

As others have said, why would you do that? Trade one of the D-man who has played in every game for us so far for a guy who might be 5th or 6th on our depth chart at center once everyone's healthy but wants to play NHL minutes?

We're doing fine with Schroeder and Kesler will be healthy in a few weeks, plus we have Burrows filling in and Lappy and Manny as further cover. I'd try him over Ebbett, sure, but we have plenty of forwards and my first inclination would not be to trade a D for him even if that's what the Kings want.

My quip at the end of the OP was about people probably jumping to suggest Ballard (or as Smashian nicely pointed out, Barker) for him, since we may have to move Ballard's cap hit for next year anyway. I wouldn't move one of our very affordable, young, up and coming D though, and I was only half kidding about moving Ballard as well.

When did Kesler say he'll be back in a few weeks!?! #EXCITED
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#23 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

I could see Montreal and Toronto being fits. Both those teams have depth at defense and a need for offensive skill.

#24 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

A. This idea is so stupid it makes my bones hurt.

B. What defensive depth are you talking about? AV is struggling with pairings because the Canucks lack a 3rd defenseman who looks comfortable on the right side. What side does Tanev play? THE RIGHT. It makes no sense.

C. Tanev > Loktionov

#25 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Got to meet this kid when he was a rookie in windsor. He is my alltime favorite spit. As much as I would like Vancouver to make an offer he's just not a good fit . He's creative smart has extremely soft hands and superb passing abilities. On the other hand he is small slow and as soft as a bunny. I'm a small guy myself and when I shook his hand I got the sudden urge to push him over and mug him.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#26 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,506 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Got to meet this kid when he was a rookie in windsor. He is my alltime favorite spit. As much as I would like Vancouver to make an offer he's just not a good fit . He's creative smart has extremely soft hands and superb passing abilities. On the other hand he is small slow and as soft as a bunny. I'm a small guy myself and when I shook his hand I got the sudden urge to push him over and mug him.

Haha!

#27 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:38 AM

We don't need Loktionov, don't want to trade Tanev for him and Schroeder is doing a good enough job.

He should go to someone like the Flames: atrocious center depth and even less talent.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#28 lmm

lmm

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

5th round pick
5'10" 179#
career 60 games
asks to be traded

= 6th round pick

#29 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

5th round pick
5'10" 179#
career 60 games
asks to be traded

= 6th round pick

Not quite how it works..

#30 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,126 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Kings will likely use him as trade fodder to either replace an injury, or load up with a rental for their next playoff run.

Example? Calgary is out of the playoff run, so they trade Anton Babchuk (impending UFA) to LA for Loktionov.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.