The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Capitals may try to trade Ovechkin

They need a goalie and we need that star sniper.

If he fails in Van then buy him out the following season. Chump change for the the Aquillini's.

Throw in Booth and the salary will equal itself out.

Throw in a pick to balance the trade out (I personally think Lui and Booth is enough).

It's a gamble well worth taking. There is that chance OV will re kindle his career

Like the GM of wsh said he can't afford a contract like luongo's but if van took Ovie's salary then WSH could afford it. .... ovie isn't really helping the team much anyways and they need better goaltending. Luongo would be the new "superstar" in wsh who puts the fans back in the seats (who knows maybe its time they need a change in face). so this does make sense. Only problem is i don't see MG paying 9 mill dollars a year to a russian. Who knows if Ovie would even want to play here. but maybe something like.

To van:

Ovie, Nuevirth (10.6 mill)

To WSH:

Luongo, Booth, Conditional pick 2013 (2nd if he gets 25 goals or lower or a first if he gets above 25 goals) (9.9 mill)

salaries pretty close WSH gets a new name for the fanchise and a top 6 LW to help ease the lose of ovie and a nice prospect in the deep draft.

Washington has a very young core, as well as some elite prospects on their way up. I don't think they're looking for a 33-year old goalie who's signed through 2021. They likely would want a goalie who will be in his prime during the same time that Alzner, Carlson, Backstrom, Johansson, Kuznetsov and Forsberg are in their primes. Holtby may be that guy. But if not, then I bet they'll be looking to replace him with another young goaltender.

The current Capitals team is different than the one that dominated during Ovechkin's reign as the league's best player. It's not as though their window is closing. They don't need to make a bold, risky move to try to catapult them back into contention.

Does anyone remember that NTC Luongo has and that very small list of teams he would wave it for?

Let's stop fantasizing. I think if we could shed Lou AND Ballards contracts for Ovi its actually a solid trade. With some tinkering inbetween obviously. We take on a bit more but if he can produce like he used to our offense is near unstoppable. Let's face it, Lous heading out rather we like it or not. I personally don't. Nothing we can do about it though, it's all hypothetical but if we could land Ovi for whatever trade it wouldn't be that bad compared to what most teams would offer for Lou. The good news for us is that he's unstoppable in net right now which raises the dollar signs for our return

Does anyone remember that NTC Luongo has and that very small list of teams he would wave it for?

Let's stop fantasizing. I think if we could shed Lou AND Ballards contracts for Ovi its actually a solid trade. With some tinkering inbetween obviously. We take on a bit more but if he can produce like he used to our offense is near unstoppable. Let's face it, Lous heading out rather we like it or not. I personally don't. Nothing we can do about it though, it's all hypothetical but if we could land Ovi for whatever trade it wouldn't be that bad compared to what most teams would offer for Lou. The good news for us is that he's unstoppable in net right now which raises the dollar signs for our return

he does the same thing every time: stands in the same spot waiting to shoot. teams have figured him out?

he is nowhere near worth what he is being paid, and his cap hit is ridiculous. He doesn't even get ice-time in the playoffs like he used to. What was it 12 minutes a game last year? Absolutely ridiculous.

now is this the coach's fault? maybe... or is he following the typical Russian pattern:

1. play unbelievably so that you get a great contract and everyone admires you.

2. play disinterested hockey for a bit

3. finally figure it out

he is definitely in stage 2. a player like him should be able to do what he wants even though every other team knows what he is trying to do. no one should be able to figure him out. so the only conclusion is the Russian Pattern disease. RPD. Once he is demoted a few more times for crappy play he might figure it out. Expect him to be 2/3 of what he once was consistently, starting say in a few years if he doesn't bolt back to Russia (where he sucked too?)

Players typically peak before 30 for pure goal scoring.. and he never had too much of anything else...

Like the GM of wsh said he can't afford a contract like luongo's but if van took Ovie's salary then WSH could afford it. .... ovie isn't really helping the team much anyways and they need better goaltending. Luongo would be the new "superstar" in wsh who puts the fans back in the seats (who knows maybe its time they need a change in face). so this does make sense. Only problem is i don't see MG paying 9 mill dollars a year to a russian. Who knows if Ovie would even want to play here. but maybe something like.

To van:

Ovie, Nuevirth (10.6 mill)

To WSH:

Luongo, Booth, Conditional pick 2013 (2nd if he gets 25 goals or lower or a first if he gets above 25 goals) (9.9 mill)

salaries pretty close WSH gets a new name for the fanchise and a top 6 LW to help ease the lose of ovie and a nice prospect in the deep draft.

Anaheim would be a good fit. They need to go all-in this season for a few reasons:

1. They'are actually off to a great start

2. Show Perry and Getzlaf they're serious about winning a cup

3. Selanne won't be there forever

I'd do a package involving Bobby Ryan for Ovechkin. If Getzlaf and Perry leave, Anaheim still has a marketable star to put butts in the seats despite being so close to the Kings. Washington gets a very good replacement who should fit nicely with Backstrom on the 1st line.

Ovechkin-Getzlaf-Perry top line. Terrifying.

I wouldn't want a 9million dollar player on our team unless his first name is Sidney and last name Crosby. Ovi needs to take a long look in the mirror and ask himself what he wants out of the NHL. There used to be so much hype surrounding him and Sid, and it's almost like as soon as Sid won Gold and a Stanley Cup, Ovi just gave up. The guy has no true heart for hockey, and he's proven that over and over again from juniors to now. Sorry, but there is no way I'd be happy to get him for giving up Lou, Jensen, etc etc. F$ck that noise!

Archived