134 replies to this topic

#91 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,531 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

And I can't believe some people wouldn't jump at the chance at getting Alexander Ovechkin. The guys scored 60+ goals before for crying out loud. If GMGM calls up Gillis and offers Ovechkin for a Luongo package along the lines of Luongo, Higgins, Raymond and a 1st he would be dumb to not accept it.

Except this is our lineup after that trade:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Ovechkin
Kassian-Schroeder-Hansen
Volpatti-Lapierre-Weise
Malhotra

Who steps into the top 9 once an injury happens? Who slots into the lineup if 2 forwards are injured? Do you REALLY want to risk Ebbett being back in the lineup? I sure don't. How do you propose we stay under the cap next year after that trade?

If I'm MG, my offer is Luongo and Booth for Ovechkin. Take it or leave it.

Edited by Number14, 09 February 2013 - 04:35 PM.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#92 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,349 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Except this is our lineup after that trade:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Ovechkin
Kassian-Schroeder-Hansen
Volpatti-Lapierre-Weise
Malhotra

Who steps into the top 9 once an injury happens? Who slots into the lineup if 2 forwards are injured? Do you REALLY want to risk Ebbett being back in the lineup? I sure don't. How do you propose we stay under the cap next year after that trade?

If I'm MG, my offer is Luongo and Booth for Ovechkin. Take it or leave it.

I'd do that too. My offer was mainly plugging some holes in Washington's line up. Heck, I'd even be willing to throw in a prospect and a pick to get the deal done.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#93 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

And I can't believe some people wouldn't jump at the chance at getting Alexander Ovechkin. The guys scored 60+ goals before for crying out loud. If GMGM calls up Gillis and offers Ovechkin for a Luongo package along the lines of Luongo, Higgins, Raymond and a 1st he would be dumb to not accept it.

I know why you like Ovechkin. But he isn't a superstar anymore... If we could get the old Ovechkin, then yes I agree 100%. But not the guy who is impersonating Ovechkin, the guy playing for them for the last few years. Give us that old Ovechkin, then of course who wouldn't want that? Something is wrong, he just lost something, I don't know...

#94 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

He's just trying to start rumors...

Pretty much, Ovechkin is the best player in Washington, contrary to what many say, just watch him. He is very passionate. He has an amazing skill set and his value I can only imagine is still " elite / franchise player " like.

It's pretty unlikely that Ovechkin would be moved, not to mention other parts of his game are coming around and his coaches are happy with his development. There is no reason he cannot be a 50 goal scorer again. Some people are just writing the guy off, makes no sense lol.
Posted Image

#95 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Ovie is no longer a super star. HIs trade value is not very high. A team like Columbus or Phoenix could use him as those teams would finally have a face for their franchise. To bad those teams can't afford hos contract.

#96 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

Ovechkin is still a superstar, I honestly think his struggles have to do with his team. Reminds me of the Nash situation.

#97 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

ovi is a shade of the man that tore up the nhl due to INJURIES, he has clearly lost his top gear because of his knee injuries, that nd he is not the hard core fitness addict that guys like crosby, tows, sedins are. His special-ness is not coming back. WSH cannot afford another big contract- I mean they can, but they cannot afford to have another player on a big contract who is not earning every cent of that contract

#98 Buttock

Buttock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Ovechkin always faces the enemy's worst players

How did you get away with posting this? Lol wtf.

#99 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

How did you get away with posting this? Lol wtf.

BRING ME HIS HEAAAADDDD
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#100 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

Can't believe some of the comments on here. Is he overpaid. Yes. However, if he were made available, you would see all 29 teams calling and asking what it would take to acquire him. He just can't carry that team by himself anymore, which is understandable.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#101 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

Has there ever been a superstar that has faded away this dramatically? (without injury being the cause)

If your definition of a superstar fading "dramatically" is falling all the way down to 5th in the league in goalscoring, then yeah - all them fade AT LEAST that much!
Posted Image

#102 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

If your definition of a superstar fading "dramatically" is falling all the way down to 5th in the league in goalscoring, then yeah - all them fade AT LEAST that much!

Season goal totals: 52, 46, 65, 56, 50, 32, 38
Season point totals: 106, 92, 112, 110, 109, 85, 65

That is a substantial drop off. It is especially puzzling since there was no event such as an injury that can be seen as a cause of the decreased production, and also because the decrease began at the age at which most goal scorers enter their prime. I can't think of another player who's faded like that.

#103 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Another question that could be asked is what does 'big' money do to a personality over time. Whether it is Ovy or any other player. A particularly good question when the 'big' money comes early in a career before the player actually learns what it takes to become a true professional. I believe the Canucks have been using 'sports psychologists' for years. I wonder how deep they probe?

#104 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Season goal totals:   52,  46,  65,   56,   50,  32, 38
Season point totals: 106, 92, 112, 110, 109, 85, 65

That is a substantial drop off. It is especially puzzling since there was no event such as an injury that can be seen as a cause of the decreased production, and also because the decrease began at the age at which most goal scorers enter their prime. I can't think of another player who's faded like that.

His top center missed half the year with an injury. His offensive defenseman missed even more. His new coach was severely defensively-orientated. And yet, he still managed to score more goals than everyone else but four players.

Dramatic fade my butt...
Posted Image

#105 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

TIL scoring 38 goals in today's NHL is considered "faded"

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#106 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Not gonna happen.

#107 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,786 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

Pretty much, Ovechkin is the best player in Washington, contrary to what many say, just watch him. He is very passionate. He has an amazing skill set and his value I can only imagine is still " elite / franchise player " like.

It's pretty unlikely that Ovechkin would be moved, not to mention other parts of his game are coming around and his coaches are happy with his development. There is no reason he cannot be a 50 goal scorer again. Some people are just writing the guy off, makes no sense lol.

No doubt, a bunch of kids that picked him in their pools just look at the stat line and assume that he's terrible now or something.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#108 morrissex95

morrissex95

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Alex Ovechkin still has a significant amount of trade value. He puts fans in the seats and he's still probably the most or second most talented player in hockey.

Here's a list of teams that I could see him going to:
Nashville(he'd turn Nashville into a premier hockey market. They have young assets + salary that can be moved. If Poile wants Radulov to return, Ovy would be the best guy to sell it to him.)
Philadelphia(They've got the assets and they need offence. Great guy to play with Giroux)
Colorado(Again, they've got young assets to move. Ovy could bring the Avs back to their former glory)
Islanders(great guy to play with Tavares. They've got the assets to move)
Ottawa(need a guy to replace Alfredsson and play with Spezza. Great fit.)
Anaheim(They need insurance for if Getzlaf and Perry leave)
Detroit(They are in desperate need of a new generation of talent)

The Vancouver Canucks would never be in the fray when it comes to Ovechkin. He's not the type of guy we want in the lockeroom and he doesn't fit the team identity. That contract is an albatross that we simply do not need. I would be in a state of shock if Gillis brought him in.

If I were Washington, I'd certainly consider trading Ovechkin. But before I did that, I'd fire George McPhee. He's an awful GM and his firing is long overdue.
Posted Image

#109 Raymond Ballard and a 1st

Raymond Ballard and a 1st

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Pair him WITH a top pick(2013 1st), and/or top prospect to lessen the cap-sting.

Take back some other putrid deals. EG: Ovi, Hendricks & Forsberg, for: Tor: Grabovski, Komisarek.

Less IS more for the Caps.

#110 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

Ovi in a nucks jersey?

Posted Image

#111 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,045 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

You clearly haven't watched him play lately then. He looks lazy and disinterested the majority of time he played.

And yea, I would say his point totals dropping 40% over 2 seasons is pretty dramatic. We're talking about a player that was considered arguably the most dominant player in the world only a few seasons ago.

Why do you think this rumor is out there if his play wasn't fading. :lol:

Edited by DeNiro, 12 February 2013 - 02:08 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#112 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:07 AM

Too bad they don't have Luke Schenn anymore...

Nonis's chance to save the Maple Leafs!!

Toronto's next 10 1st round picks

for

Ovechkin

#113 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:12 AM

People say Luongo has an immovable contract.. That's peanuts compared to what Ovie is owed.

If there is any merit to this - I foresee many Islander rumors about this. Wang is probably the only owner crazy enough to make a play for him. :lol:

Ovie is 26 years old, Luongo is 33 and I think they have pretty much the same amount of years left. Easier to take a chance on a 26 yeras old, 60 goals scorer, even if his production dropped the last few years.

#114 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,073 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:02 AM

You clearly haven't watched him play lately then. He looks lazy and disinterested the majority of time he played.

And yea, I would say his point totals dropping 40% over 2 seasons is pretty dramatic. We're talking about a player that was considered arguably the most dominant player in the world only a few seasons ago.

Hmm, I am not sold on this assessment. This is what most people are saying or presuming about Ovechkin, that he is lazy or disinterested, etc.

If you have watched the player he is quite the opposite. He skates hard, uses his speed, throws his weight around, and gets a lot of touches with the puck. He has been using his heavy, scary shot as well.

Problem is he is not getting into high quality areas before shooting, he is simply not as dynamic with the puck right now as in the past, some say predictable. He has never been a player that distributes the puck as well as others may, and he is also a player that historically picks his spots when using allout speed in skating.

So what's changed ? Some may argue the player is lazy, he is playing just as hard if not harder, more passionate then in the past. Its about stats to most I suspect. I don't buy that the past two season's having a mix mash of linemeates and a defensive coach did NOT have anything to do with it. But he needs to be more creative with the puck and patient.
Posted Image

#115 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

The only problem with Ovechkin is that he can't single handedly carry Washington anymore. When he was younger, he wasn't as beat up physically as it probably is now. And yes, teams know that Ovechkin is the main threat on the team, so coaches know how to defend against him.

What Washington needs is not to trade OV, but aquire and asset (or someone on the roster to step up) to carry some of the load. Green has not shown any sign that he can be that guy anymore. And while Backstrom is incredibly talented, he won't put the puck in the net. Once Forsberg comes into the picture, and should Washington be lucky enough to somehow get into the Jones/MacKinnon sweepstake, you'll see Washington become a major threat again.

Until that happens, though, Ovechkin cannot do it himself anymore.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#116 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

I think he's still one of the top-10 players in the game.

However, I think given the years of wear and tear, he's lost a bit of his skating explosiveness. That has affected his ability to make goals happen out of nothing.

His first few years were something special. It didn't matter if he was outnumbered, or what his teammates were doing, Ovechkin could make something happen at any point, no matter how unexpected. It was like watching Kesler in the Nashville series - only it was all year, every game, for like 3 years straight.
Posted Image

#117 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

So true. I want OV but it's a gamble.

40% drop in production is a bit scary

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#118 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

Ovi in a nucks jersey?

I could never see it under the MG regime.Have you noticed how many Russians or Czechs are on the Canucks?...or even in the Canuck system.......Coincidence??

#119 iinatcc

iinatcc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:11 AM

LOL @ a 9.5 cap hit.

Chris Kunitz, Simon Despres & Tangradi for Ovechkin

Ovechkin - Crosby - Dupuis
Neal - Malkin - Bennett

-_-

That would be sick but I have a feeling that PIT may need to add Flurrey or Vokoun in that trade.

#120 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

Not gonna happen. He brings in way too much revenue. Money is more important than winning nowadays
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.