The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marian Hossa makes miracle recovery, practicing with Blackhawks.

People are forgetting that the league already let Hansen off the hook at the beginning of the season, when he clearly pushed a ref out of his way. Intent or not, if the league was "out to get the Canucks", they could have easily given him a suspension for that.

I'm pretty sure if that event didn't happen, this meeting would have been just a warning, or a fine. Regardless of it not being malicious or causing injury, this was Hansen's second reckless play in a month against the "untouchables" (officials and superstars). Of course the league is going to address it.

To the visitors here from Chicago, we're talking about Hossa, who was involved in the incident.

Kesler was not. So tread lightly, you're on a Canucks fan site and aren't here to talk smack. Are you?

Which brings me to my next point (that isn't from a mod's perspective):

People are quick to throw out "if it was a Canuck lying on the ice....blah, blah, blah". It wasn't. And sure as hell we'd be called out for it if that Canuck was cleared and out on the ice a day and a half later. We've had to put up with our players being called for dives, embellishing, etc. so be damned if I'll be told I can't do it when other players are guilty. What goes around comes around.

I scream bloody murder when it's warranted - like when our guys have their backs broken with no call as the opposing fans jeer him. Things like that. The reason Canucks fans cry out so much is because we're given reason to. When that changes, everything will. Not holding my breath. Not whining (I find those whining about our so called whining are worse), just stating facts.

when did they EVER say Hossa had a concussion. the hit could have just dazed him and was pulled from the game for precautionary reasons since the hawks were already up 3-1 at that point...

the hawks never commented about it....

come on guys...give your head a shake.

hansen got 1 game for a reckless play...get over it and move on.

Guest Gumballthechewy

To the visitors here from Chicago, we're talking about Hossa, who was involved in the incident.

Kesler was not. So tread lightly, you're on a Canucks fan site and aren't here to talk smack. Are you?

Which brings me to my next point (that isn't from a mod's perspective):

People are quick to throw out "if it was a Canuck lying on the ice....blah, blah, blah". It wasn't. And sure as hell we'd be called out for it if that Canuck was cleared and out on the ice a day and a half later. We've had to put up with our players being called for dives, embellishing, etc. so be damned if I'll be told I can't do it when other players are guilty. What goes around comes around.

I scream bloody murder when it's warranted - like when our guys have their backs broken with no call as the opposing fans jeer him. Things like that. The reason Canucks fans cry out so much is because we're given reason to. When that changes, everything will. Not holding my breath. Not whining (I find those whining about our so called whining are worse), just stating facts.

Really wonder if the NHL is unimpressed with the Hawks now. You don't overtly manipulate them into suspending someone solely because of an injury only to come out right after and go "Magically he's fine! Oh well, F Hansen and thanks for being so gullible NHL!". Doesn't matter what team you are, that's not going to go over well.

I don't know that anyone said he was concussed. But the suspension was based on injury to Hossa. An injury to the head usually doesn't mean a dislocated head, or a sprained brain. Or a torn cerebellum.

Usually it's a concussion. And if it's an injury to the head it is very serious and you don't recover 36 hours later.

I get what you're saying, but it's splitting hairs. A serious injury was inferred, a punishment was dealt based on that assessment, and then the injured player made an unusually speedy recovery, suggesting the injury maybe wasn't really an injury so much as an inconvenience. So Hossa sold the call. It's not a federal offense. It's just poor sportsmanship. It's tantamount to diving/flopping/embellishing and it has no place in pro sports.

In the mean time, Hansen misses a game. Not the end of the world, but more a matter of principle.

Yes, some have been a bit hyperbolic. So what?

I'm fine with the 1 game, tbh it was what I was expecting.

The problem I have is Hossa lying on the ice as if he got shot and making it seem like he got railed again. Whatever happened to the mantra of playing until you literally cannot get up under your own strength, how many bambi leg players have we seen? Heck even by example, the player who blocked Garrison's first shot on his goal tonight, obviously in pain but still attempts to get up to play, not just lie on the ice like a dead fish.

And I've had concussions playing hockey so I know what it's like, still do what you can to either get off the ice or contribute to the play, you don't flop on the ice unless you literally cannot move.

I sure hope his helmet's okay... wait something happened to Hossa?

Can't wait for this Sunday, finally get to see who's the better actor, the Hoss in this case or Brad Marchand for "I was protecting myself" in "Submarining Salo" (yes I still dislike him for that)

That's the problem with assigning punishment based on injury, often times teams will just do exactly this and keep the guy in the locker room for the rest of the game and not talk about his condition for a day or so just to feign the image of an injury that's much worse than it is. Ironically, if they truly were assigning the punishment based on the injury for this case Hansen probably wouldn't necessitate a punishment.

Archived