The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marian Hossa makes miracle recovery, practicing with Blackhawks.

Wow... all of a sudden Canucks fans are mimicking Dr. Recchi.

If you think that Chicago left their best player off the ice in a close game when he was chasing a hat trick.... JUST to possibly get one of our 3rd liners a 1 game suspension, you are pathetic and deserving of scorn.

Hossa has a serious history of concussion... he got clipped pretty good in the head, the trainers did exactly what they are mandated to BY THE LEAGUE in putting him in the quiet room for the rest of the game.

They kept an eye on him for a day or two to see if any symptoms flared up during exertion in practice... he seems fine to play. I am quite sure that Shanahan knows a lot more about Hossa's medical condition than you do.

Complain about the lack of consistency in discipline in the league, but don't make up dumb conspiracy theories that don't even make any logical sense.

I wouldn't call him lying on the ice a "dive". It's very possible that he felt dizzy or hazy after the Hansen hit, and the smartest thing is to stay still, not get up and keep playing. Of all people, Hossa would know this best.

Of course that dizziness can pass, and probably did by the end of the game even, but the league have their "dark room" rule now where any player suspected of a concussion has to sit out for quite a while, so for precautionary reasons he was kept out of the game, even if he probably was fine.

^ So, let's assume that was the case ("dizziness") - do you really think he should/would be right back out there? No. That's irresponsible and it's likely premature to be playing within the same week. I'm sure any doctor would want a period of safety that's more than a day or two before entering a contact activity if there'd been dizziness.

As to this:

Wow... all of a sudden Canucks fans are mimicking Dr. Recchi.

If you think that Chicago left their best player off the ice in a close game when he was chasing a hat trick.... JUST to possibly get one of our 3rd liners a 1 game suspension, you are pathetic and deserving of scorn.

Hossa has a serious history of concussion... he got clipped pretty good in the head, the trainers did exactly what they are mandated to BY THE LEAGUE in putting him in the quiet room for the rest of the game.

They kept an eye on him for a day or two to see if any symptoms flared up during exertion in practice... he seems fine to play. I am quite sure that Shanahan knows a lot more about Hossa's medical condition than you do.

Complain about the lack of consistency in discipline in the league, but don't make up dumb conspiracy theories that don't even make any logical

And if he's so fragile that he'll flop to the ice upon contact and have to have a day or two of observation, I really don't think he should be playing because it indicates they kept him off the ice because he's at risk, not injured. That's not a disciplinary thing involving others, that's his unfortunate deal. This isn't ping pong - it's a tough sport. Either you're fit/ready/cleared or you're not. If he's deemed to still be in a delicate, "precautionary" state, then he's obviously not ready for the full contact game he's being placed in - whether he's "the best" or not. Why did they have "their best" out there if he was at risk if contacted? Either you're concerned about a player's safety or you're not - you don't wait until after they're hurt (again) to make that declaration or take the safety stance - you be proactive in it. That's a team deal if they are sacrificing one of their best in finger crossing that he'll be ok should he make contact with someone, not the fault of others. That just means you've put the game before his interests. You don't think the fact that he was "their best" on the ice also contributed to the severity of the punishment?

No, I'm not a doctor, it's just common sense. You can't have your cake and eat it too by placing one of your best out there and then screaming that he requires special treatment because he's had a horrible injury. If he can't take contact, he shouldn't be playing. He becomes any other skater when he's out there, not someone that you have to be "careful" of/for and to even bring up his concussion past is irrelevant in assessing punishment to others - that's not their deal, it's his.

I laugh that you're calling out others for making observations, yet your second last line does exactly the same thing. So you were there? In the room with him? And you've decided that he "seems fine to play"?

If you don't see that the actions on the ice warranted an adequate period of "further assessment" that fits the dramatic, face down sprawl on the ice then you aren't looking hard enough. I hardly think he should be right back out there if there was such grave concern at the time. It indicates that he's delicate and at risk.

I made my statements based on what was stated to have happened by actual people involved... not by making up stuff I want to be true and based on assumptions that I invented myself. That is quite different than what most of you folks are doing.

By your logic, anyone with less than perfect health shouldn't be playing hockey. Maybe we should hold out Bieksa because his skin seems to fragile and he gets cut too often by skates! We would have to end the careers of any player that has had concussion history because you are most certainly at greater risk once you have had one.

I don't see anywhere that Chicago asked for special treatment for their player. Neutral broadcasters immediately jumped on the topic and were split about whether a suspension should happen. all of them said it should have been at least a penalty. No one looked at the slow motion replay and suggested that Hossa was faking it or embellishing.

There is no realistic motivation for them to pull Hossa from the game unless they were worried about his health. You simply don't take out your best player (who is playing like a beast that game) out just to cause a bottom end player from the opposition to "possibly" get supplementary discipline that would keep him out of a later game that you aren't involved with.

You talk about common sense... what sense is there for Chicago to do this?

As for keeping him out longer... he had not actually yet been clear to play (at least not as of last night) but was practicing.

Throw out any issues of intent, there is video proof that Hossa got a good whack in the back of the head. That hurts by the way. Chicago pulled him from the game where a DOCTOR (as per head shot protocol) saw him in the dressing room. A decision was made after the LEAGUE MANDATED 15 minute observation period to keep him from the game. These are not my own made up opinions... these things have empirical proof... we know the concussion protocol and that he did not return to the game.

The next steps are to see how he was feeling the next morning and if there were concussion symptoms. There are fairly thorough tests to do to compare against your baseline (which all NHL athletes had to have done). If he doesn't have concussion symptoms, then you allow him to do exertion, which is the next level to see if it brings on symptoms. I have no idea whether they tested him out on the bike or let him go directly to practice... doesn't particularly matter. If still no symptoms, then you get the go ahead for contact and/or playing,

You logic that because he was lying on the ice and was dizzy for half an hour then HE MUST be concussed so seriously that he should miss a few games is simply false. One does not equal the other.

Like I said before, argue about the league's crappy consistency when it comes to discipline... but arguing that Hossa was faking it is doing the exact thing that you do despise Recchi for. Inventing your own definition of what medical conditions are and then making arguments based on those false definitions.

That's the problem with assigning punishment based on injury, often times teams will just do exactly this and keep the guy in the locker room for the rest of the game and not talk about his condition for a day or so just to feign the image of an injury that's much worse than it is. Ironically, if they truly were assigning the punishment based on the injury for this case Hansen probably wouldn't necessitate a punishment.

But after the game, Quennville was asked about Hossa and he said something along the lines of "we think he's fine, but we'll know more tomorrow." That doesn't rule out any issues, but it was some evidence the Hawks didn't feel he was injured in any way by the hit, but rather just shaken up.

I feel like you haven't done your due diligence in researching that... :ph34r:

I thought it was 10 minutes?

sarcasm.

Find it funny that if a player leaves a game, and then is able to play three days later, his recovery should be considered a miracle apparently.

This is different than a knee or groin or something. We're talking concussion history and a player who was face down on the ice for a period. Of course, everyone gasped because this is a serious situation and the fact that he lay pretty much motionless until staff got out to him would indicate that there was something wrong. Was he in pain? Dizzy? If so, then I would think that the protocol would be a period of rest and assessment. If he's skating a day and a half later, it would indicate that everything was clear - A-OK. So what was that time spent on the ice about? Either you are ok or you're not. His actions spoke that he was not. But we learn he is. So yeah, that's suspect.

And now Hansen has a black mark on his name for simply engaging in a hockey play (yes, players bat down pucks all the time) because someone in a delicate state had us in a "hold" status while his teammates pleaded his fractured case. It worked. If he'd skated to the bench to catch his breath, there'd be no hearing.

Well that was a much needed time off for Hossa to recover......Now as Deb said, Hansen has a bad name (to go along with the general hate for Vancouver) for nothing. This play happens all the flippin time. Two players jump to bat the puck. Hansen was in bad position and made a stupid play and got penalized for a stupid play. I dont see the intent there and i am trying for the life of me to see it from a non-canucks fan pov. I dont see it.

okay yea i get where you are coming from with that. i will give hossa the benefit of the doubt here because (and i could be wrong here so dont quote me) I don't think hossa is that type of player to fake an injury and show poor sportsmanship. we are not talking about bolland, (and former burrish, eager, ladd etc). none of us know how hossa felt after the hit. he could have been a bit dazed...have you ever had a concussion or been smacked in the back of the head with an elbow pad? yes there is a helmet, but there is still an impact and vibration.

the league has to figure this out. i for one would like to see a penalty for any hit to the head, but thats just me.

am I a die hard hawks fan? no, so im not trolling... i was on this board since 07. I just like toews and kane - whom is playing amazing this season. sorry if that offends anyone, but since burrish, eager, byfuglin, and ladd are not there, I can't really hate the hawks.

and at any rate, if this was reversed, and shaw hit sedin by accident, I kid you not this board would be calling for 5+ games

This is EXACTLY why the punishment should be based on the individual act itself rather than relying on the injury history of the player, the supposed intent of the offending player, or the injury resulting from the act.

There is zero incentive for Hossa to NOT embellish there as everyone knows the punishment will be more severe if there is an injury and that is a huge issue with the NHL discipline system.

Archived