Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Marian Hossa makes miracle recovery, practicing with Blackhawks.

• Please log in to reply
245 replies to this topic

#121 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

So, Shanahan's own words prove he did in fact base the suspension in part on the belief that Hossa was injured. If he didn't, why didn't he say "it was a dangerous/reckless play that could have led to an injury" instead of "caused an injury"?

You are really reaching and ignoring things to try to keep beating this dead horse.

In the Dreger tweet he said "NHL knew he wasn't severely hurt."

Having to leave the game is an injury. Hamhuis having to ice his wrist on the bench for almost the whole game last night is an injury. That isn't the same as saying he is going to miss a bunch of games... players play with injuries all the time. You are trying to invent a new definition of the word in order to fit your argument and to try to make it work.

The Tweet makes it clear Shanahan knew that Hossa wasn't going to miss a bunch of games and wasn't seriously concussed. He knew that Hossa had been injured on the play... he was injured enough to miss the rest of the game.... hence including that as part of the rationale.

I know Dreger has a bias towards Toronto.. now we are saying he is biased for Chicago as well? Or against the Canucks?

Edited by Provost, 22 February 2013 - 03:31 PM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#122 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,005 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

lol at all the wannabe MD's here (especially since Dr. Recchi is so popular around here). Here we are once again at CDC where one of our players (my favorite Canuck btw) has done a dumb thing and once again clocked an opponent from behind in the head causing a player to leave the game with an injury and the choir is clamouring that the injured party is faking it because they weren't taken off the ice in a bag and had to miss a year of hockey. The ultimate case of this was, of course, Steve Moore who is to this day accused of faking an injury and symptoms for something like EIGHT YEARS just to squeeze a few million bucks out of Saint Todd Bertuzzi. Similar instances were when Torres clobbered Eberle and Rome laid his headshot on Horton. In every case this board has exploded with accusations of fraud against the victims ("look, he was able to take a sip from his water bottle at the press conference", "look he was able to celebrate his team's Stanley Cup win from the sidelines" etc. etc.). I guess the mindset here is that in order to offset the misdeeds of your chosen team you must cast aspersions of the character of the victims while painting a portrait of an innocent victim of circumstance ("he was just defending his captain", "he was trying to get at a loose puck" or my personal favorite "that was just a hockey play"). Is it any wonder that the rest of the hockey world views Canuck fans is the most uncomplimentary light possible? We screwed up; man up, take your medicine and move on!

There you go again, exaggerating things to make your point stronger.

He did not "clock" him...they collided.
He was not injured...and if you try to tell me he was, I'll ask why his team is then irresponsibility allowing him to skate with his history? He is not injured, bottom line. Provost, this is in relation to you stating there was an injury as well.

Are you really daring to even put this in the same paragraph as Bertuzzi? It makes your case weaker, not stronger, when you grasp at straws like this. Give us something concrete or don't bother. You're only trolling/insulting the fan base but you're offering little more in that block of text.

Posted Image

#123 rb4u

rb4u

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

In a separate news release, the Blackhawks have announced that Marian Hossa has been placed back on the injury list due to a suspected concussion after a particularly hard sneeze during warm ups...

Edited by rb4u, 22 February 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#124 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

You are really reaching and ignoring things to try to keep beating this dead horse.

If you really believe that's the truth, I guess I should say thanks for joining in instead of just ignoring it and moving on. Apparently, I have my very own enabler! B)

In the Dreger tweet he said "NHL knew he wasn't severely hurt."

Having to leave the game is an injury. Hamhuis having to ice his wrist on the bench for almost the whole game last night is an injury. That isn't the same as saying he is going to miss a bunch of games... players play with injuries all the time. You are trying to invent a new definition of the word in order to fit your argument and to try to make it work.

How is he injured? Here's what Hossa said about it: “Mostly I was shaky. I wasn’t being myself for half an hour, one hour, but later on I had a good sleep. I woke up and I felt much better.” (Source)

I understand head injuries are a different animal than other types, but when did "shaky" get classified as an injury? To be honest, it sounds like he (understandably) had the sh*t scared out of him at the thought of getting another head injury. But that's not an injury, at least not as I understand it.

Either way, though, it shouldn't matter if you believe Dreger's tweet that it wasn't a factor at all, even though, as I pointed out, that is in direct contradiction to Shanahan's own words in the suspension video.

The Tweet makes it clear Shanahan knew that Hossa wasn't going to miss a bunch of games and wasn't seriously concussed. He knew that Hossa had been injured on the play... he was injured enough to miss the rest of the game.... hence including that as part of the rationale.

No, the tweet makes it clear Dreger thinks that. He didn't offer any proof that Shanahan said that. We can only go by Shanahan's own words for that, and he clearly said that part of the reason Hansen was suspended was INJURY. So, Dreger's full of it to say it wasn't a factor at all, especially without any source for that assertion.

I know Dreger has a bias towards Toronto.. now we are saying he is biased for Chicago as well? Or against the Canucks?

Dude, you're the one who keeps using words like "bias" and "conspiracy" so why don't you tell me.

Edited by poetica, 22 February 2013 - 03:57 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#125 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

He was not injured...and if you try to tell me he was, I'll ask why his team is then irresponsibility allowing him to skate with his history? He is not injured, bottom line. Provost, this is in relation to you stating there was an injury as well.

You are inventing a definition of the word "injury" in order to try to make a bad argument.

The dude missed the last period of the game after the hit. He was INJURED!!!!

You keep stating that to be considered injured he has to miss a bunch of practices and games. That is simply you making stuff up in order to try to try to make a false argument. Guys get injured and don't miss a shift. If someone takes a puck in the eye and just gets stitched up and returns to the bench and plays the rest of the game... he was still injured. There are minor injuries and there are career ending injuries... and there are injuries at every gradient in between. I would speculate that half the guys on the ice last night had some sort of injury. Hossa's was just more serious in that it kept him out of the rest of the game... but not serious enough to make him miss other games.

You have suggested that getting a knock on the head is different. Several people who clearly know what they are talking about (in addition to me) have laid out what a normal protocol would be for getting knocked on the head. I used to fight internationally in martial arts... I have been on the concussion protocol many times (because of my tendency to lead with my face). I have a pretty darn good idea what they look for in a concussion and how you get back to competing. I have been TKO'ed and recovered within a few minutes and passed all my baseline tests and woken up without any ill effects. I have had other times that I took a hit and it didn't phase me at the time and then spent weeks unable to exert myself as it would bring on symptoms.

You are ignoring the fact that what has happened in the Hossa instance is in fact pretty much exactly what should have happened with a hit to the head for any player. It has NOTHING to do with any discipline on Hansen. If you take that part of the argument out of the equation, the Hawks acted EXACTLY as they should have with that hit. The only thing you can argue is that "maybe" a player without a concussion history could have returned to the game after spending some time in the quiet room. Even with that argument, you can only argue that the Hawks were simply being a little careful with the health of one of their elite players... not that they frivolously kept him out of the game to spite the Canucks... that would be just dumb on their part and give them no competitive advantage in the least.

Immediately after the game, at the first opportunity he had in front of a microphone, the Hawks coach said it wasn't serious. Wow... sounds like a conspiracy to get Hansen a long suspension to me!

#126 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

lol at all the wannabe MD's here (especially since Dr. Recchi is so popular around here). Here we are once again at CDC where one of our players (my favorite Canuck btw) has done a dumb thing and once again clocked an opponent from behind in the head causing a player to leave the game with an injury and the choir is clamouring that the injured party is faking it because they weren't taken off the ice in a bag and had to miss a year of hockey. The ultimate case of this was, of course, Steve Moore who is to this day accused of faking an injury and symptoms for something like EIGHT YEARS just to squeeze a few million bucks out of Saint Todd Bertuzzi. Similar instances were when Torres clobbered Eberle and Rome laid his headshot on Horton. In every case this board has exploded with accusations of fraud against the victims ("look, he was able to take a sip from his water bottle at the press conference", "look he was able to celebrate his team's Stanley Cup win from the sidelines" etc. etc.). I guess the mindset here is that in order to offset the misdeeds of your chosen team you must cast aspersions of the character of the victims while painting a portrait of an innocent victim of circumstance ("he was just defending his captain", "he was trying to get at a loose puck" or my personal favorite "that was just a hockey play"). Is it any wonder that the rest of the hockey world views Canuck fans is the most uncomplimentary light possible? We screwed up; man up, take your medicine and move on!

You just got nailed by the mod, when she replied to what you posted.

Stop distorting the facts, and stop spamming.
Posted Image

#127 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,577 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

Wow. I was expecting to see a lot of ridiculous whiny posts when I came here but you guys are even dumber than I expected. Hossa dove? seriously? :lol:

Do you people seriously think one of our best players would fake an injury and leave the game when he was on the verge of a hattrick in a close game against our most hated rivals just to possibly get one of your 4th line scrubs suspended for 1 game? grow brains please.

Maybe if a guy like Kesler had delivered a cheapshot to a guy like Brookbank you could make such accusations. But really, Canucks fans are the last fans in the league in any position to accuse other teams of diving or gutless play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urIlWcdT6i4

Typical blackhawk doubletalk. First, it's a bunch of goons, headhunters, and pugilists Now, it's divers, gutless, and sisters. Funny thing is, the two cannot exist in one entity. Consistency is the key; unfortunately, the typical Blackhawk fan possesses none, and thus engages in hypocritical attempts at trash-taking.

What's it going to be, donuts? Are you finally going to snap out of your media-induced hypnosis and see that your thinking is flawed, or would you rather stay in fantasy-land?

#128 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

And people wonder why everyone hates our fans :rolleyes:
It was a 1 game suspension, and that was a fair call. Get over it.

Hansen hit Hossa's head with his arm/elbow while reaching for the puck, even though it was an accident Hansen still needs to be accountable for the head shot. It's like a player carelessly high sticking somebody, the intent to injure was not there but the deed still happened.

One game isn't the end of the world, especially since the Canucks won that game. If a Blackhawk hit a Canuck that way nobody here would be outraged by the suspension. I personally don't think Hansen should have been suspended, but I don't think one game is outrageous either.

#129 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,048 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Hansen hit Hossa's head with his arm/elbow while reaching for the puck, even though it was an accident Hansen still needs to be accountable for the head shot. It's like a player carelessly high sticking somebody, the intent to injure was not there but the deed still happened.

One game isn't the end of the world, especially since the Canucks won that game. If a Blackhawk hit a Canuck that way nobody here would be outraged by the suspension. I personally don't think Hansen should have been suspended, but I don't think one game is outrageous either.

The example's not quite right, since someone wouldn't be suspended for a careless high stick (Setoguchi only got a fine for his cross check to the face of Quincy, is that worth less than Hansen's careless play?) but I get your meaning.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#130 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,577 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

here's the problem though: Here on out, Hansen will be labelled a "repeat offender," meaning any supplemental discipline will be more harsh and more punitive. That's a definite fact. There's more subjective items too, such as Hansen getting "reputation" penalties called on him be refs simply because he's been suspended in the past.

I'd normally care less about one game suspensions (think of it as a rest day or healthy scratch), but it's the permanent record that is the problem.

#131 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

I'd still do anything to have Hossa on this team..

Posted Image

#132 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

tsn just tweeted an update

Hossa to compete in next olympics - winter with his national hockey team, summer for mens diving

#133 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

Since when? Has there been a rule change in the new CBA or something because this is not how it worked in the past. Remember when David Steckel hit Crosby in the head, he never got suspended and the discussion was about if it was intentional. He wasn't held accountable.

#134 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,081 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

I'd still do anything to have Hossa on this team..

Oh yes .. me too .. he represents everything noble in sport .. uh huh .. :ph34r:
"To Thine Own Self Be True"

#135 Bertorama

Bertorama

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

Hawks are a great team but Hossa is a PUSSYcat and there are a few others on the team that make for a great rivalry. Can't wait for this to boil over once again!

Dana White should promote it for Pay Per view only.

I'm all for skilled entertaining hockey. Butttt.....

Enough of the family game crap this needs to get ugly! You know we would all watch that. An uncensored unfiltered broadcast with the refs just calling the infractions and allowing the teams to beat the daylights out of each other. Mic up the players and head cams. Amazing!

One can dream.

Old school Hard knocks are True building blocks!

#136 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,005 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

You are inventing a definition of the word "injury" in order to try to make a bad argument.

The dude missed the last period of the game after the hit. He was INJURED!!!!

You keep stating that to be considered injured he has to miss a bunch of practices and games.

Didn't even read past this because you've missed my point, so listen carefully.

IF HE HAD BEEN INJURED, even slightly, with his history HE SHOULD (and unless his team is completely negligent- would) NOT HAVE BEEN SKATING. You don't shake off a second head trauma after a severe concussion that easily or quickly. So the clear determination is that there was no injury, or he would have been out of the line up for a period.

Of course if a player who'd returned from a severe concussion received a blow that "injured" him he'd miss some time.

You seem to have mistaken the fact that he lay there on the ice as proof that he was injured but it is not.

I am not inventing anything. If there is no injury a day after the incident then there simply wasn't an "injury" period. An injury means there was damage done and he simply wouldn't recover that quickly.

Immediately after the game, at the first opportunity he had in front of a microphone, the Hawks coach said it wasn't serious. Wow... sounds like a conspiracy to get Hansen a long suspension to me!

You're missing how it works...protocol with concussions means that any re-injury is serious. There is no room for allowance. Of course he said that - he knew his player would be right back out there because there was nothing wrong with him.

Posted Image

#137 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

Didn't even read past this because you've missed my point, so listen carefully.

IF HE HAD BEEN INJURED, even slightly, with his history HE SHOULD (and unless his team is completely negligent- would) NOT HAVE BEEN SKATING. You don't shake off a second head trauma after a severe concussion that easily or quickly. So the clear determination is that there was no injury, or he would have been out of the line up for a period.

Of course if a player who'd returned from a severe concussion received a blow that "injured" him he'd miss some time.

You seem to have mistaken the fact that he lay there on the ice as proof that he was injured but it is not.

I am not inventing anything. If there is no injury a day after the incident then there simply wasn't an "injury" period. An injury means there was damage done and he simply wouldn't recover that quickly.

I agree, Deb. Provost, there is a difference between "injured" and "gone for a checkup".
Posted Image

#138 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

Lol. And we Canuck fans wonder why the league hates us so much. Hansen got ONE GAME. Yet most of you were b1tching and whining. Honestly, it seems like it's always that we are complaining about everything. For once can we just take the high road and say "Hey, that's great news, Hossa is a great player."

Posted Image

#139 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:25 AM

IF HE HAD BEEN INJURED, even slightly, with his history HE SHOULD (and unless his team is completely negligent- would) NOT HAVE BEEN SKATING.

Not true. Not based in medical fact. Not based in anything except your self professed "common sense" understanding of a complex medical condition.

I and a few other people have made thorough explanations which you don't want to believe.

You would rather believe that Hossa was faking his injury and deserved an academy award for his performance.

I can assure you that a person can be hit in the head and hurt badly enough to be lying in the ice for a little while, and yet be fine to play 3 days later.

A player can also be "injured" but not miss games, no matter how much you want to redefine the word differently. For example, Bieksa was injured tonight and missed the rest of the game. If he plays on Sunday, it doesn't mean he was faking it tonight.

The most reasonable explanation, and the one that fits the facts is that:
- Hossa was hurt by being hit in the head
- He was removed from the game and evaluated
- He was not found to have any post concussive symptoms, or at least anything significant
- He was kept out of the remainder of the game to continue evaluating for symptoms which can appear up to a day after a hit
- Over the next two days he was further evaluated and found not to have any symptoms with greater amounts of exertion
- He was cleared to play

Your much less reasonable explanation:
- Hossa was NOT hurt by the hit to his head and decided to fake injury
- Hossa decided to lie on the ice in order to draw a penalty
- When the penalty was assessed, Hossa decided to continue faking the injury and be taken out of the game hoping that maybe it would result in a 3rd line player getting supplemental discipline and miss a game against another opponent.
- Hossa felt that it was a good trade-off for him to miss the rest of the game even though he was completely healthy in order for him to accomplish the above
- The Hawks medical staff and Hossa were not in fact doing a medical evaluation because there was no injury and were instead chilling out in the dressing room for the entire 3rd period joking about how they were screwing the Canucks and maybe ordering pizza.

I agree, Deb. Provost, there is a difference between "injured" and "gone for a checkup".

That is not what she has been saying. She has been saying that Hossa was acting, and not hurt. If he was taken back for a "check-up" it means he was hurt badly enough to be removed from the game... you don't check someone up for a made up faked injury.

Edited by Provost, 23 February 2013 - 02:58 AM.

#140 vcr1970

vcr1970

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:58 AM

Hossa feigned the severity of his injury to sell the call. How is that point lost on you? The thread title wasn't "NHL refs conspire with Blackhawks to hose Canucks".

Hansen gave him a forearm to the back of the head..................if you don't want opposing teams to be able to "fake" head injuries, don't him them in the head.

I'm guessing Hansen really sucked at baseball, because when you go to try and catch things, you use your hands and not your forearms.

#141 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,577 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:59 AM

Lol. And we Canuck fans wonder why the league hates us so much. Hansen got ONE GAME. Yet most of you were b1tching and whining. Honestly, it seems like it's always that we are complaining about everything. For once can we just take the high road and say "Hey, that's great news, Hossa is a great player."

Once again...my above quote on why we shouldn't take it, and why this is worse in the long run.

here's the problem though: Here on out, Hansen will be labelled a "repeat offender," meaning any supplemental discipline will be more harsh and more punitive. That's a definite fact. There's more subjective items too, such as Hansen getting "reputation" penalties called on him be refs simply because he's been suspended in the past.

I'd normally care less about one game suspensions (think of it as a rest day or healthy scratch), but it's the permanent record that is the problem.

Edited by debluvscanucks, 23 February 2013 - 09:05 AM.
TMI

#142 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

If that love tap by Hansen was any indication Hossa's career is over.
He's either so fragile that his career should be finished or he embellished/dove.
Not sure which one it is but either way not good for Hossa.
Too bad, i was hoping Duncan Keith would be the one injured so karma could be served.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#143 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,081 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

Once again...my above quote on why we shouldn't take it up the bum, and why this is worse in the long run.

Agreed .. this one game suspension makes Hansen look like just another Duncan 'POS' Keith ..
"To Thine Own Self Be True"

#144 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

Stop worrying about what other fans think of us and our city.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

“That guys an idiot. It’s his own fault if he can’t tell the difference between an all star center and a plug defenceman”

"It's not the location. We just can't beat the Canucks. Thank god they're in the West."

#145 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

Stop worrying about what other fans think of us and our city.

agree 100%

The only thing Vancouver needs to do is add a super heavyweight and stop caring about what others think.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#146 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,005 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

Provost: Hossa's own words: "Like I said, I was a little shaky right after the hit".

A little shakey does NOT = injury.

And yes, he was evaluated and it was determined there was no injury...if there had been, he likely would not have been skating and working out a day or so later. Agree?

Don't sum up my thoughts for me - only I can do that. And, as to yours:

The most reasonable explanation, and the one that fits the facts is that:
- Hossa was hurt by being hit in the head
- He was removed from the game and evaluated
- He was not found to have any post concussive symptoms, or at least anything significant
- He was kept out of the remainder of the game to continue evaluating for symptoms which can appear up to a day after a hit
- Over the next two days he was further evaluated and found not to have any symptoms with greater amounts of exertion
- He was cleared to play

So if he didn't have any symptoms what, exactly, prompted him to stay down? Because ANY symptoms at all would likely have him evaluated off the ice for a longer period before he skated, but that was not the case.

This is NOT a once only incident of diving/embellishing by Hossa (Google it for yourself). And I didn't buy it then and still don't, no matter how you spin it.

You don't have a guy who's just returned not long ago from a serious head injury sustain another blow that results in any sort of "injury/symptoms" and then have him right back out there on the ice. So there were none. Unless you are completely negligent and putting the team's needs before the individuals' (which wouldn't surprise me with the Hawks). That's how I see it and you won't convince me of anything different. But I appreciate that our opinions do differ and will leave it at that for now.

RKL17 - what does being a great player have to do with antics beyond that? I've never really given a hoot what others think of me because I answer to the person in the mirror. If I don't believe what's coming out of my mouth then I also don't say it just to please others. Because I care what I think of me, first and foremost.

Posted Image

#147 Hockey Coach12

Hockey Coach12

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

You know first off, the league has concussion protocols to be followed, so Hossa missing the rest of the game when he was chasing a potential hat trick should prove that he was at least "shaken up" on the play and needed to be evaluated before being cleared to play again. With just coming off the concussion by the Torres hit, it was right for that team to be cautious with his health. I am sure you would expect no less from any Canuck player that has a concussion history.
Also, if you watched Coach Q's post game comments, he clearly said that he saw Hossa after the game and he "seemed ok". That hardly sounds like what many of you are saying here, that he was "out cold" or whatever. That never was the case, and I was at the game and saw it firsthand.

Also, many of you should watch the video from the link listed below. It very clearly says that a player's history or the injury to another player is NOT taken into consideration until the actual decision is made for supplemental discipline for the offending player. There is no conspiracy against the Canucks by the league. Many may not want to believe it, but the league has a very strict protocol for determining supplemental discipline for EVERY call. just because many Vancouver fans don't like the outcome doesn't mean that the league is out to get them.

I like the Canucks, but sometimes, this fan base just amazes me with their homerism. It seems that anything that goes against the team is a BS call as far as the fan base is concerned. I was glad to see some in this thread that were objective about the hit on Hossa and the discipline that resulted. 1 game was minimal and fair if you ask me, heck the game that Hansen missed was won by the Nucks anyway, so why are you guys complaining?
I get it, Vancouver fans hate the Hawks. But that doesn't mean that every play that goes against the Nucks when the play the Hawks is wrong.
Try having some hockey perspective, please.

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

#148 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

Provost: Hossa's own words: "Like I said, I was a little shaky right after the hit".
A little shakey does NOT = injury.

Yes is does. He also said he didn't feel right for about an hour. Anything bad enough to take you out of the game like that is an injury.

I am not entirely sure how you make the argument that he is BOTH embellishing AND that his actual statements don't indicate he was hurt badly enough for your liking.

So if he didn't have any symptoms what, exactly, prompted him to stay down? Because ANY symptoms at all would likely have him evaluated off the ice for a longer period before he skated, but that was not the case.

He was hurt and shaken, but passed his concussion tests several times over the next three days. Seems like a pretty simple and perfectly valid explanation. You keep repeating that, in your expert medical opinion, he can't have been hurt OR he would have been kept out of play for a long time (a week or more). It is not true, it is not a difference of opinion.... it is you saying something that has no basis in reality and stating it as objective fact.

This is NOT a once only incident of diving/embellishing by Hossa (Google it for yourself). And I didn't buy it then and still don't, no matter how you spin it.

You haven't ever addressed how this would have actually helped the Hawks in your mind. You don't embellish or dive to hurt your own team. When players dive to draw a penalty, they are back playing so their team gets an advantage. They don't leave the game to prove a point.

Please explain why in your mind their best player left the ice and didn't return as a good strategy. I would love to hear your expert opinion on that.

Edited by Provost, 23 February 2013 - 10:04 AM.

#149 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Next Winter Classic should be in Chicago and the Nucks vs Blackhawks and have them do a 24/7 on that rivalry...its time

#150 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,310 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

lol wow

it's not the severity of the injury Hansen is getting punished on. It's the fact that Hansen just blatantly elbowed Hossa

Your Flames suck.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.