Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

roster changes tonight strange

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#31 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

How's the hangover!

I doubt he is awake yet.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#32 Dr. Hockey

Dr. Hockey

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

AV always picks someone to put in the doghouse.
Trevor Linden
Matthieu Schneider (brought in for our power play, yet never used for it)
Brad Lukowich (Stanley Cup winner)
Brendan Morrison (instead AV asked to keep Desbiens, while BMo played with Iginla)
Keith Ballard.
There's others but I can't remember.
These are players without a history of coaching challenges.
I am not a professional, but I do know enough hockey to know when a player is getting the short end of the stick!

#33 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

I agree with the 2nd comment of your post.

Although it wasn't the flu. it was AV making stupid, biased decisions.

Are you sure it's AV that's biased? It's no secret you'd like to see AV gone. If the players you like don't get what you believe they deserve you declare AV to be biased. That's actually your own bias. What I saw was AV putting in a bigger physical d-man to play against a big physical team. Were AV in fact biased towards Ballard he wouldn't have been getting the increased ice time he has this season for his good play.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#34 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

AV is a genius for putting Alberts in instead of Ballard. Ballard is a small, mobile defenceman who was victimized on countless times last year in the playoffs against the big, physical L.A forwards.

This game, Alberts absolutely owned the Los Angeles forwards. When you take away their physicality their depth guys really don't have enough skill to score goals. Carter and Kopitar were two of the biggest and hottest forwards in the NHL coming into this game - Carter with a 5 game goal streak and Kopitar with 9 points in his last 4 or 5 games, and both were shut down in this game. The only offence they generate is on a powerplay and off a brain-fart from Schneider.

Alberts and Bieksa in particular played much more physically than the Kings forwards did and we contained them. They really didn't have many good chances and you can thank our defence for that.

Agree with your second/third paragraphs...the first, not so much. Ballard, with his limited minutes, was one of the few good things about last years playoff series vs. the Kings. Bieksa, Hamhuis, Salo and Edler were the ones who were schooled. As well, too much is made out of Ballard's lack of size because of his height...he tips the scales at 208, so the dude is shaped like a fire hydrant -- low center of gravity, perfect for playing the body and defence. Only real physical disadvantage is that his reach isn't as long as say, Alberts.

Alberts delivered a fine performance last night...an angry Alberts hitting guys hard like he did to Clifford and neutralizing opposing forwards is a welcomed addition to the roster. He should be taking Edler's spot on the roster, though...I'm starting to think that Edler has permanently lost a step with his back injury.

#35 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

His record speaks for itself, I also trust that mangement will know when to pull the trigger on letting him go.

I'm not in the locker room or there when personnal decisions are being made therefore don't feel it is necessary to criticize them. As long as our team is competitive I'm pretty happy about him being here. He's been successful 6 of 7 years, you really can't complain about that in a league this competitive.

That said maybe changes are made in the offseason depending on how the playoffs go, but in reality there is no point whining about every little thing YOU think he does wrong because you have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

And you do? Please 73.3 give it a rest. You, Aladeen, and the AV club are so bloody defensive of him. He is an adequate regular season coach, but come playoff time, his predictability shows.

He left Luongo in twice during the 2011 playoffs when he was getting ventilated. How is that good coaching? Not only did he piss away each game, but he allowed his star goalie to be humiliated. That is bad coaching. No matter what homer glasses you're wearing.
Posted Image

#36 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

Ballard was one of the few bright spots against the Kings last year. I don't agree with the decision to scratch him (if Ballard was indeed healthy). The only player who has been more consistent than Ballard this year has been Tanev. Leaving a healthy Ballard off the roster sends a message and not a good one.
Posted Image

#37 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

Alberts didnt look to fly. Time to cut bait and get Ballard to a team that knows how to utilize his skill set.
If he is scratched for health reasons,I can live with it. But if not,they really know how to run a guy down.

Ballard has to hope they send him to an original six US team or Toronto so that he won't get penalied every time he throws a hip-check.

#38 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Posted Image

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.