• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Luo, Ballard.

Hamonic, Nelson, Cizikas, Nabokov.

That is underpayment IMO.

Schneider, Ballard

Hamonic, Nielsen 2nd
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#32 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

I hope he does get a trade so he has a fair shot with another team.

#33 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

I don't get why alot of you say Ballard has been constintly good but its a known fact he had 3 turn overs and was minus 2 in the Coyotes game. So are the smart Canuck fans implying that Ballard was scratched bc AV thinks he's ugly? There has much more to it than the way the guys look. I think we, as a fan, tend to think we are smarter or know what's going on more than the staff

If 3 to and a minus 2 in one game would get a player in doghouse in this team, then god know how many times garrison and edler would be scratch since the season starts.

The fact is Ballard is getting different treatment from the coaching staffs since he began his career here, and his overall performance this year does NOT justify this type of treatment.

#34 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

He was brought in to Vancouver to challenge for a top 4 spot. There has contiinued to be better options in the top four since his arrival. As much as I can understand the questioning of AV here, I think MG brought in a piece in Ballard from the beginning whom doesn't fit.

Ballard in my opinion has been one of the better defensemen in Vancouver this year, and it really seems he has embraced his role as a reliable bottom pairing defender this year.

I have no problem with Vancouver trying out all their defense, but Ballard should remain in the lineup while doing so. Alberts does offer an element Vancouver does need on defense, he just doesn't play smart enough. But Ballard in my opinion as it stands is an improvement on Alberts, Barker, and maybe even a top four currently playing on the roster.

Ballard does deserve better, but it should come as no surprise he just isn't a fit in Vancouver.
Posted Image

#35 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

POPULAR

It's starting to look like things maybe coming apart in Lotus Land.

1) The way the Cody H deal went down was kind fo ugly
2) Manny's situation looks like it could have been handled better and is still an issue
3) the goalie situation, which is a hold-over form last year's SC exit
4) Some of Kesler and his agents comments and disagreements publicly with management
5) The apparent bias against Ballard - no room for error compared to other D
6) Hearing from the rookies that teh coach doesn't talk to them and explain what is rexpected of them but puts them in positions they can't succeed (Schroeder on 4th line C)

Just some examples bu the say where there's smoke there's fire. Seems to me there is far too much drama and personnel conflict/disconnect. along with questionable treatment of certain players.

Let's not forget Linden and Naslund , two of the greatest Nucks ever, both had issues with management.

Lots of little things can add up to a big thing and maybe it explains the disconnected team we are seeing on the ice. THe players are aware of all these things (and more) and are not immune to it.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 04 March 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#36 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

AV is such a joke, if Ballard is traded we're not winning a cup with Barker/Alberts in our top 6.

Connauton will also be called up to play at some point in the season. Well, that's what he told his girlfriend apparently.. Managment told him he'd be called up at some point in the season to play. If he's good, he needs to be that rookie that shines for us. If he can't, then well our defense is terrible without Ballard.

I almost forgot Corrado.. Don't think he's ready though.

Posted Image

#37 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge supporter of firing AV after the Kings lost. I don't agree with the majority of AVs decision. Not even a fan of hiring mike Gillis, no experience. I just don't see why he keeps scratching Ballard for no reason. Maybe they will let it be known when he's gone like they did when Hodgson got traded. I figured one game is good enough to punish someone, but two games is serious. The guy makes 4.2 mil what is the point of keeping him in the doghouse consistently.

#38 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,643 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

The issue with Ballard is that he was never allowed to play his game under AV's system. We've seen flashes of what he really can do, and he's been spectacular defensively paired with Tanev this season save for the game prior to him being scratched.

And those flashes are of what exactly - a reliable depth defenceman? He's had 15 points in 131 games for the Canucks after having been a 20-30 point guy elsewhere. Not all of that is on playing time, although obviously being dropped from PP minutes would affect it.

He's needed to be better with the chances he's been given, and while he's been pretty reliable in bottom pairing minutes particularly this year, he hasn't been good enough otherwise to warrant keeping his $4.2M once the cap goes down for next year. I don't fault the Canucks for at least trying Alberts and Barker for a game or two so we can see if they're good enough to keep as depth or if we need to upgrade for when next year rolls around.

I've got no problem with keeping him for this year, but also understand how he'd want a better opportunity than 3rd pairing and occasionally sitting a game. We'd have to move him sometime, so I wouldn't be offended if Gillis moved him this season if he felt he wasn't an option going forward. Ballard's been a good enough team guy by all accounts to deserve that if Gillis can make a deal.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#39 Provost

Provost

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

Appropriate response by Ballard considering what AV is doing to his career. He must have pulled some kind of classic Ballard practical joke, and AV ended up throwing sh*t everywhere like the monkey he is.

If we do deal him, we need a C with some offensive upside, badly.

Ya, I am not one to question much that the organization does... but I think they have treated Ballard pretty poorly.

He is a good defenceman, but he has been put on the wrong side, been asked to become a fighter, asked to sit for long stretches of time, asked to play on a 3rd pairing when he excels playing lots of minutes, etc.

He did all of these things without complaining, and tried to adjust his game to fit what they wanted from him. When it doesn't work out perfectly (go figure) he gets benched. When other guys ahead of him screw up even when they ARE playing on the correct side (looking at you Edler)... nothing happens.

Ballard has been all class, and deserves to get moved. So many teams need D, that if we can't get a 3rd line centre in return something is seriously wrong. We can look for a RH D in another move sometime later as it is unlikely that we flip a D for a D.

Edited by Provost, 04 March 2013 - 12:02 PM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#40 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

It's starting to look like things maybe coming apart in Lotus Land.

1) The way the Cody H deal went down was kind fo ugly
2) Manny's situation looks like it could have been handled better and is still an issue
3) the goalie situation, which is a hold-over form alst year's SC exit
4) Some of Kesler and his agents comments and disagreements publicly with management
5) The apparent bias against Ballard - no room for error compared to other D
6) Hearing from the rookies that teh coach doesn't talk to them and explain what is rexpected of them but puts them in positions they can't succeed (Schroeder on 4th line C)

Just some examples bu the say where there's smoke there's fire. Seems to me there is far to much drama and personnel confolct/disconnect seems to be far too much drama and questionable treatment of certain players.

Let's not forget Linden and Naslund , two of the greatest Nucks ever, both had issues with management.

Lots of little htings can add up to a big thing and maybe it expleakn teh disconnected team we are seeing on the ice.

Posted Image

Edited by DaMacNamedDre, 04 March 2013 - 12:03 PM.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#41 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

I didn't see Barker play last night and I know Ballard played well this season, but wouldn't Barker bring the same things to the team than Ballard would? Only cheaper.

#42 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

20 games....1 assist....

SEEE YA LATER

#43 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Maybe he's talking to Gillis about an extension :bigblush:
Posted Image

#44 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

20 games....1 assist....

SEEE YA LATER

If you think that the only way to judge a player is based on his points output you need to go back to NHL 13.

Not only that, but how is Ballard suppose to get points when he's playing under AV's system?

#45 Bertuzzipunch

Bertuzzipunch

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

POPULAR

AV has tried his best to destroy this mans career and its hard to watch.

Posted Image

#46 CanuckGAME

CanuckGAME

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

I didn't see Barker play last night and I know Ballard played well this season, but wouldn't Barker bring the same things to the team than Ballard would? Only cheaper.

Ballard>>>>>>>>>>barker, its not even close.

If Ballard DEMANDS a trade I will still have all the respectfor him in the world. The way this organization has treated him is a absolute joke.

#47 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge supporter of firing AV after the Kings lost. I don't agree with the majority of AVs decision. Not even a fan of hiring mike Gillis, no experience. I just don't see why he keeps scratching Ballard for no reason. Maybe they will let it be known when he's gone like they did when Hodgson got traded. I figured one game is good enough to punish someone, but two games is serious. The guy makes 4.2 mil what is the point of keeping him in the doghouse consistently.

Ballard has a Ntc. If MG wants to trade him, Ballard and his agent will know about this already.

It seems they have no clue why he was scratched in the last two games tho.

When a huge av supporter like myself question av's move. No, disgusted with it, then I think there is a real problem here.

Ballard has been doing everything the team asked him to do without complain. He degrade himself from a top 4 defenseman in any team to a healthy scratch over someone like Rome, and this is what he gets?????

#48 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

If you think that the only way to judge a player is based on his points output you need to go back to NHL 13.

Not only that, but how is Ballard suppose to get points when he's playing under AV's system?

Considering the season before he was traded to the Canucks he had 28 points and the season after he had 7.....

#49 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,643 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

I don't get why alot of you say Ballard has been constintly good but its a known fact he had 3 turn overs and was minus 2 in the Coyotes game. So are the smart Canuck fans implying that Ballard was scratched bc AV thinks he's ugly? There has much more to it than the way the guys look. I think we, as a fan, tend to think we are smarter or know what's going on more than the staff

It's the same style argument as why Rome got playing time over Ballard. I agree Ballard has been much better this year to earn the #5/6 spot at least, even without any offensive production, but we also can't just sit our #7/8 guys all year and expect them to step in with no issues if they don't occasionally get a game.

I don't think this is an indictment of Ballard's play as much as it is an opportunity to see what else we have. As I already mentioned Ballard is the most likely candidate to move to make cap room for next year beyond a goalie deal, and he's a good enough player and team guy that there will be a team willing to take him on who has more cap space and could use depth to increase their chances come playoff time.

Ballard deserves a fresh start, so I'm not surprised if it happens sooner than later.

It's probably best for both sides if he gets traded. He's a good player and deserves to play and maybe a good hockey trade can spark this team.

I don't think he's necessarily in the doghouse, I think they are trying to see what they have in Alberts and barker. That being said he's kinda the odd man out as he's not taking hamhuis or Edlers spot. It's our fortunate luck with injuries that's unfortunate for Ballard. I don't really agree with it at all but That's how I'm reading it.

I'd laugh so hard if a Raymond Ballard 1st deal goes down haha

Essentially this. +1

People can't see anything beyond this being a slight to Ballard when I doubt it's anything like that.

Edited by elvis15, 04 March 2013 - 12:11 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#50 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

Ballard has a Ntc. If MG wants to trade him, Ballard and his agent will know about this already.

When a huge av supporter like myself question av's move. No, disgusted with it, then I think there is a real problem here.

Ballard has been doing everything the team asked him to do without complain. He degrade himself from a top 4 defenseman in any team to a healthy scratch over someone like Rome, and this is what he gets?????

Maybe it's not for sure yet so he doesn't want to risk Ballard getting hurt?

#51 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

That's a good point.. He plays similar to Ballard and is almost 4 mill cheaper, and a former 3rd overall pick, so he knows how to play hockey.. Barker could have been signed to potentially take Ballard's spot, so he can be traded, since we still have Alberts and Vandermeer for depth.. Hmmm, interesting...

#52 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

I like AV, but this seems to be a personality mismatch between the two. I think they just do not like each other and any chance AV gets he will stick it to him. This is the one thing I dislike about AV he seems to have personal likes and dislikes and put this over actually coaching the team.

If it brings back a right handed D-man that can play decent minutes then all is good.

Or a deal is in place, but why would the agent not know. Mybe the whole story is not know by the person who released the twit.

Edited by Vancanwincup, 04 March 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#53 CanuckGAME

CanuckGAME

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

100% agree. I've always been a big av supporter, but the way he has handled Ballard is a disgrace. Is almost as if Ballard has a red x on his back, NO ONE gets treated poorer then ballard, Bieksa screws up BAD, BOOM he's out there next shift.

#54 Provost

Provost

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

Considering the season before he was traded to the Canucks he had 28 points and the season after he had 7.....

It couldn't possibly have been a massive hip injury that required a 2nd surgery.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#55 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

It couldn't possibly have been a massive hip injury that required a 2nd surgery.

Regardless, he's 2 million over-paid.

#56 CanuckGAME

CanuckGAME

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

That's a good point.. He plays similar to Ballard and is almost 4 mill cheaper, and a former 3rd overall pick, so he knows how to play hockey.. Barker could have been signed to potentially take Ballard's spot, so he can be traded, since we still have Alberts and Vandermeer for depth.. Hmmm, interesting...

Canucks should find patrik Stephan and sign him, he's a former 1st overall so that means he knows how to play and is AWESOME!!!1!

Have any of you actually seen barker play? Really? Ballard is similar to barker? Barker doesn't use his body, and he's lazy as fauk. We didn't pick him up as a PTO because he's some top 4 everyone would want....

Edited by CanuckGAME, 04 March 2013 - 12:15 PM.

#57 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Have any of you actually seen barker play? Really? Ballard is similar to barker? Barker doesn't use his body, and he's lazy as fauk. We didn't pick him up as a PTO because he's some top 4 everyone would want....

Barker has the same amount of points in one game as Ballard does in 20. He's also 3.5 million cheaper.

#58 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,244 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

It would be good for Ballard if he could get out of here. Surely there are other teams out there who can use him better than we have, and his cap hit is too high for our third pairing.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#59 CanuckGAME

CanuckGAME

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Barker has the same amount of points in one game as Ballard does in 20. He's also 3.5 million cheaper.

So you're saying a defenceman is worthless if they don't put up points? For real?

#60 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

I hate Alberts, can't believe he has a spot over Ballard.
Posted Image
NikiShiz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.