42 replies to this topic

#1 41SeasonsButACupAintWon~

41SeasonsButACupAintWon~

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

I just have an honest question for all of you. In your opinion as Canucks fans, why have the Canucks never won the cup? I don't intend to troll, I'm just curious as to what your answers will be. I know there is often talk about referee conspiracy after each loss especially in the playoffs, but surely this couldn't have been the case for all 41 years of your team's history.

I mean, all teams fall victim to bad officiating at some point, yet all but one of them that has been around as long or longer than the Canucks have managed to battle through whatever adversity they may have faced and win the cup at least once in their history. In my humble opinion it's pretty shameful for a team in hockey's home country to be so close to the record for longest time in the league without a cup. The Canucks have no doubt had some good teams over the years, so what always goes wrong?

One theory I have involves the perception of, well, you guys. Again I am not trying to be insulting, but I am aware that the fans in Vancouver have a reputation for being perhaps the worst in all of sports, AGAIN, not saying this is true, but two riots and what seems to be a pure inability to ever place blame on the team itself for it's own shortcomings rather than pointing to a bad call by a ref or a conspiracy by the league certainly don't do the fanbase any favors. Not to mention the defense of all the cheapshots and dives and whining which the team has become known for.

One thing that I believe all fans know in the back of their minds but none will admit in regards to the 2011 riot is that it was the team's and fan's and city's own sense of entitlement that caused the city to be unprepared for the situation, allowing it to get out of hand and turn into the riot that so many people around the world will now forever associate with the simple mention of Vancouver. Every person in the city from city hall to the downtown eastside was so certain that the Canucks would win the cup, that there was no need to be concerned with any extracurricular activities afterward other than perhaps a few drunks celebrating too hard (such as what ended up happening in Boston).

Could this reputation have some effect on the teams perennial misfortunes in the playoffs? perhaps the motivation of saving the cup from going to a team with such fans as well as being disgraced by names like Burrows, Kesler, Sedin, Torres, etc. helped propel Boston to their dominance in the last 2 games?

This may or may not be true. But I want to know what the fans of this team think. Why have the Canucks never won the Stanley Cup?

Since 1970 they lost 3 trips to the show, in 2011 they hit the big 4-0
The twins flop and flip and still they always choke, and choke is spelled L-U-O-N-G-O
Whining and diving are what Canucks do best, and when it comes to low IQ the fans rewrite the test
Just keep bragging 'bout the cup by the Millionaires, ask the rest of the world you know they really don't care
It was 1915 that's almost a hundred years kids, since then you could fill an ocean with all of your tears kids
We win and you lose and then you go cry foul, we raise the cup while you wave the white towel
Burn cars break windows go have some fun, you got 41 seasons but a cup aint won. Hit me!
41 seasons but a cup aint won
President's trophies back to back don't mean none, you got 41 seasons but a cup aint won
Keep crying and screaming and I laugh at you son, you got 41 seasons but a cup aint won

#2 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

Same reason Buffalo hasn't won a cup. Just bad luck after bad luck.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#3 SOB for MVP

SOB for MVP

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,326 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

Because other teams won them instead

Posted Image

sig by -VC-

#4 Mad Cow Disease

Mad Cow Disease

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

A great run hindered by untimely injuries to key players, bad officiating, inconsistent goaltending and at times, unresponsive coaching.

#5 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,209 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

A great run hindered by untimely injuries to key players, bad officiating, inconsistent goaltending and at times, unresponsive coaching.

Pretty much this

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#6 kirkmclean1994

kirkmclean1994

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

I truly believe they win in 1994 if Nathan Lafyette scores late in the 3rd to tie the game in NY instead of hitting the crossbar. The Rangers were dead and the Canucks had them on the ropes. He scores and they win in regulation or OT. So I guess in a word,"luck" or in this case Bad-luck!

#7 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

its because they havent won 16 games in one playoff year
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#8 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,730 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

It's shameful? To live in one of the best countries, let alone hockey places, in the world?

You say you're not trolling but I am a little suspicious.

And the riots caused our losses? That we are too cocky as a whole is partly to blame? Sure, ok.

Let me fill you in a little, as someone who's watched this team for a long time.

First and foremost, this latest riot had ZERO to do with fans or the game. Nothing. It was a preplanned event by a bunch of hooligans, looking for a venue to practice their art. They're paying the price now. Don't associate them with having anything to do with the game...they wore the shirts - yeah. But I don't drive around a racetrack because I have an Earnhardt Jr. tee shirt. I get the unprepared part and have to agree with that, but it had nothing to do with the fans or team.

No sense of entitlement...any thinking we'd win the cup was simply pure and absolute desire to. We didn't feel we'd had a fair chance at a run not long before so, of course, we expected things to be different - to be fair.

In our early past - no cup = not a contending team. Then we made it in, but were never really expected to "win"...as polite and happy Canadians, we were just happy to be there. '94 - we went all in. The city, the team...we all carried a little of Trevor's blood on our sweaters and that one was tough, but we got our money's worth so to speak. It was all left out there.

Lately, this league is a joke. A fiasco. Sure, we've had a team that is capable - but that's only part of it. The reffing is horrible and has had an impact. And untimely injuries is also a huge factor. Can't project, plan for or really do much about that - when your star players and supporting cast are playing hurt, they give it their all but it isn't always enough. Goaltenders get hot/cold...Thomas was on fire and we all know about some struggles we've faced, so it's all about timing and luck in when that lines up.

But don't try to figure it out - you're clearly not equipped to. We probably aren't either...we'll just patiently keep waiting. Not much more to say or be done in it.

Posted Image

#9 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

People think they're witty by posting statements that in fact contribute nothing to the thread and doesn't actually answer the OP. Why yes, we didn't win because another team did ad we failed to win 16. Great observation! I'm sure the OP is enlightened by your critically important response.

To OP: You could probably say that there were multiple factors that sort of snowballed the entire campaign past any hope of winning.

I still stand by the belief that the offense was the biggest problem. Our so-called offensive powerhouse seemingly shuts down come April, and the occasional blowouts don't justify anything.

Though what you're saying with the riots just doesn't make sense to me.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#10 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

Ouch, someone brought of the cup question.
I like how you also don't tell us what team you support either, and I guess if you think our riots were bad, you must of never seen the ones that happen over soccer in Europe.
Posted Image

#11 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

Because we traded Hodgson for Kassian.

;)

Edited by Seth Jones, 06 March 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#12 Zach Parise

Zach Parise

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

Because its the canucks !

#13 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

We were lucky to be there in '83... it was fabulous.

It was 50/50 in 94 and it was great fun.

We should've won in 2011 but we were injured
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#14 gamasutra

gamasutra

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

There are now 30 teams in the league. If every team were equal each would only win the cup once every 30 years. Not winning one in 41 years is not that big an anomaly.

#15 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,476 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

We were lucky to be there in '83... it was fabulous.

It was 50/50 in 94 and it was great fun.

We should've won in 2011 but we were injured

Ahem - that was 1982 - and I was there. :)

Sports stats are very interesting...

Like why is it that a team from one city has lost like 15 games in a row when they play another team in that team's home rink?
It's not the same team - every year a team changes. Law of averages says it should be 50/50.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#16 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

Ahem - that was 1982 - and I was there. :)

I was working at McD's at the time :shock:

#17 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

Because the Canucks have never been "super terrible" enough to get the draft picks they need to win a cup.

For the last like 2 decades we've always "barely" missed the playoffs. The only top 5 picks we've had in a long time are the Sedins.. We've never been truly terrible enough to really get any legitimate superstars that can single handedly win you a series. (Crosby, Toews, Kane, Malkin etc.)

Posted Image

#18 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

Cuz we booed team Canada in '72. The Espo curse lives on!!! :frantic:
Posted Image

#19 Rink on Renfrew

Rink on Renfrew

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

That is exactly what I'm talking about. There was no "small group of professional troublemakers" as the mayor and police chief would like to have you believe. The rioters were Canucks fans just the same as all of you. They rioted because they were angry about losing. It is this tendenct to always try and place blame somewhere else that is so largely responsible for the reputation the fanbase has.

Very wrong. Very wrong.
I guess you were there, talking to all of them. I was there just before the riots broke out and I can assure you there was going to be cars burnt regardless of the outcome. Car were burning before the game was even over.

Please don't tell me you aren't trolling. If you have to keep bringing up that your aren't multiple times, that's a good indication that you are.

Walks like a duck, talks like a duck.....

#20 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

Because the Canucks have never been "super terrible" enough to get the draft picks they need to win a cup.

For the last like 2 decades we've always "barely" missed the playoffs. The only top 5 picks we've had in a long time are the Sedins.. We've never been truly terrible enough to really get any legitimate superstars that can single handedly win you a series. (Crosby, Toews, Kane, Malkin etc.)

We even lost the Perrault spin.

#21 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

That is exactly what I'm talking about. There was no "small group of professional troublemakers" as the mayor and police chief would like to have you believe. The rioters were Canucks fans just the same as all of you. They rioted because they were angry about losing. It is this tendenct to always try and place blame somewhere else that is so largely responsible for the reputation the fanbase has.

I smell a troll. Trying to place blame on CDC members - whom largely live in their mom's basement and throw Frisbee at the TV to turn it on. So you're saying that the G10 summit in Toronto was caused by fans of the government that were upset about the placement of the meetings. Give your head a shake fool. It was largely done by and anarchist group. Which were also present at those same riots you seem fit to place blame on Canucks fans. Eat all kinds of phials.
Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#22 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

troll is obvious. just read his signature...

even though he fails "Since 1970 they lost 3 trips to the show, in 2011 they hit the big 4-0"

Apparently we won 4 Stanley cups

Edited by MayRayDown, 06 March 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#23 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,476 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

I was working at McD's at the time :shock:

I was @ Pizza Hut!

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#24 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

I was @ Pizza Hut!

Whao! A year later, I was born... and I have been to both of those places...
Posted Image
Email me

#25 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

:lol: pretty sure a person with your nearly exact username was banned for trolling not even a week ago. You seem to enjoy trying to piss us off, eh? Well I got news for ya...most of us don't give a crap about our reputation. Yup, some idiots rioted...point and laugh...see if I care! Why don't you post some vids? Rioting, Kesler crying, Boston hoisting the cup etc etc...water off a ducks back. ;) :)
Posted Image

#26 41SeasonsButACupAintWon~

41SeasonsButACupAintWon~

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

troll is obvious. just read his signature...

even though he fails "Since 1970 they lost 3 trips to the show, in 2011 they hit the big 4-0"

Apparently we won 4 Stanley cups

The signature is just something I find funny. 4-0 was referring to the 40 years.
Since 1970 they lost 3 trips to the show, in 2011 they hit the big 4-0
The twins flop and flip and still they always choke, and choke is spelled L-U-O-N-G-O
Whining and diving are what Canucks do best, and when it comes to low IQ the fans rewrite the test
Just keep bragging 'bout the cup by the Millionaires, ask the rest of the world you know they really don't care
It was 1915 that's almost a hundred years kids, since then you could fill an ocean with all of your tears kids
We win and you lose and then you go cry foul, we raise the cup while you wave the white towel
Burn cars break windows go have some fun, you got 41 seasons but a cup aint won. Hit me!
41 seasons but a cup aint won
President's trophies back to back don't mean none, you got 41 seasons but a cup aint won
Keep crying and screaming and I laugh at you son, you got 41 seasons but a cup aint won

#27 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

The signature is just something I find funny. 4-0 was referring to the 40 years.

Enjoy cleaning toilets and being foreveralone.
Posted Image
Email me

#28 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

username should be '14yearsoldbutaintbustonenut'
Posted Image
Email me

#29 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

I was @ Pizza Hut!

Whoa. Bet you think you were highbrow huh? ::D

#30 Cromeslab

Cromeslab

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

C-tron is that you?
Posted Image

"Where you've been is good and gone,all you can keep is the gettin there"Townes Van Zandt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.