The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks Missing Bieksa Badly

DownUndaCanuck

I was a huge basher of Kevin 4 seasons ago, but you need to look at his numbers again. He has been one our best all around D man the past 2 seasons. His physical play and points over the last 3 show he has learned and changed his game. This is not the first year he has been playing this way.

I agree without KB the team lacks major bite. He is one of if not THE team leader in the room and on the ice. He deserves the C with the way he defends his team mates...but the rest of the team including him need to come to play for 60 minutes. This is the true reason why this team is floundering right now. I do think a major trade or coaching change is in order to shake out the cobwebs that seem to set in for 5-6 minutes every period. The system feels stagnant and the players actually look bored out there at times.

With the emergence of Tanev and the fact Ballard has looked like one our best we need to just plain step it up and play smarter, faster , harder hockey.

The frustrating thing is, all of these guys are capable defenders. They've proven it in the past.

But so far this season they have just failed to create any chemistry together. They're all discombobulated. Yea, I said it, discombobulated.

It's taken Bowness this long to try and find the right mix. Now it's time to just let these guys work on getting in a rhythm. I don't care if we're losing games right now, as long as our D starts to tighten up, and get better and better every game.

Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to add another veteran to the mix.

I'll admit I used to hate on Bieksa the last 3 seasons for some of his really stupid defensive plays. Sure he's always been a clutch scorer and big-time performer, but that never made up for his brain-farts in his own zone.

This season though, Kevin is playing a much more physical, solid defensive brand of hockey while putting up career offensive numbers at the same time. He's really become a leader on this defence.

I just wanted to highlight the effect his absence has on this team, particularly the defence that quite frankly looks lost without its only right-handed shooter.

In the last 5 games without Bieksa playing, the Canucks are a perfect 0-3-2. No wins. Of course he came back for the L.A match, a game against a team that had won 5 straight, had the two hottest scorers in Carter (6 game goal streak on the line) and Kopitar (almost 2 points per game in his last 5 games) and Bieksa and co. throttled the Champs 5-2.

Now in those last 5 games here's how our defence fared. We were outscored 10-20 and here were our defender's +/- ratings:

Edler: -4

Tanev: -2

Hamhuis: even

Garrison: even

Alberts: -1

Ballard: -4

This team shouldn't depend on one guy so badly. If we can't deal with injuries right now, we won't deal with them well in the playoffs. Hopefully it's nothing worse, like the fact that the other defenders NEED a right handed defenceman for the lefties to be comfortable, or MG will have to go find one.

The Canucks are missing alot of things. Leadership seems to be one of them. I think Bieksa is a huge part of that on the ice.

This team needs a serious injection of talent though. Only question is does MG have the balls to do it? Or is he going to go shopping in the bargain bin come trade deadline?

Bieksa has played this way for a long time. Canucks fans just have a hate on for him.

I find it hilarious that people are all over his nuts and are just now realizing what he brings to the team when many of us have known and seen it for a long time. At least people are starting to realize his value to this team.

It also shows how far away the Canucks are to re-stocking the cupboard in terms of prospects. The team has almost nothing in the farm in terms of ready to go prospects to fill holes from injuries.

If we want to be like Detroit, we've got a long way to go.

Teams are attacking us with the left wing lock, exposing the weakness we have on the right side of the defence. Without Bieksa, we're all the more vulnerable to this.

It's a three man attack with two along the boards above the Canucks d-man who is trying to play the puck, and one below. It cuts off all of the outlets for our d-men along the right side boards (going forward is a back hand for left hand d-man which is easily picked off, and the opposing high man cuts of the avenue if we try to reverse the flow). Once picked off on either side, one of the opposing forwards peel towards to the net with open looks, which is what is killing us right now. The only guys on the Canucks who can effectively counter act this on their own are Bieksa and Tanev. Among our left handed d-men, Edler and Garrison seem to be too slow to deal with this type of pressure; Ballard/Hamhuis always needs help; and oddly enough, Alberts and Barker seem to be handling this pressure fairly well when they are forced along the right wall. Without Bieksa in the lineup, our d-corp is not quick enough to combat this type of forecheck. We need to make a play for a guy like Tobias Enstrom (yes, I know he's injured) for a slow footed guy like Edler. A guy like Ian White (who has been a healthy scratch for numerous games) would also help us right now.

Bieksa handles this pressure well because he's quick, which is something few give him any love for...he also gives the team identity and a personality that others (including the officials) seem to respect...hands down he is a bigger leader than any others on the team and the Canucks are infinitely better with him in the line up.

Ya I've certainly gained more of an appreciation for him. His experience certainly is missing in the combinations we have out there but I'll say it again, alot of our defensive woes have to do with our defensive coaching and positioning.

You should be able to slot guys in and not be 'running around' so much, or look so confused and messed up. Thats not bec of one player or two, its because of a poorly designed defensive system.

If you have been watching recent games, EVERY team is putting two guys in deep on the puck. Why? because they know the Nucks are not positioning themselves for outlets for the puck carrier, no support, or if there is, its up the boards.

Until this changes, no Bieksa, no Ballard will help. This was Chicago's strategy 3 years ago and it worked, then Boston did it, and it worked, then LA, and now every team that plays us has a book on us. Do it and you'll force turnovers, a poor break out and slow them down.

It all starts in your own end. You break that press you have speed the other way and odd man rushes. You don't and you have an oddman in your own zone, and isn't that what we're seeing?

I am not sure why the Nucks coaches don't get this, or why they aren't willing to allow their players to break out differently. But our own d zone coverage and positioning once we get the puck is atrocious. This is the same reason why one guy forechecking against our power play causes the pp to get stuck in its own end.

I've never seen anything like this other than house league hockey and the fact our players are so confused in their own zone tells me one and only one thing. Its coaching not the players.

Archived