The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Majority of Canadians want fighting ban

Dedalus

If they ever banned fighting I'd stop watching hockey all together, call me bandwagon or whatever but fighting is a huge part of hockey and makes the game way more enjoyable.

Good way for players to "police" themselves to some extent if players start taking runs at superstars.

Apparently a hockey player cannot take a shot to the head now without long term ramifications. I suggest the NHL research the training done by the 'cage fighters'. They must be taking 'bone enhancer' drugs because they seem to take a lot of head shots. I don't hear of any movement to have them banned or at a minimum wear head gear.

Not sure if anyone's brought this up, but a survey done by the Globe and Mail may not represent actual hockey fans or be a good indicator of all Canadians. 8500 people have voted in a survey about a game that millions in Canada watch...I don't know that they've got enough numbers here to support this declaration. They've polled their readers, but they do not represent "all Canadians". Yes, in their cross section of their readers, most voted in favour of the ban but overall, in Canada, I'm not sure this would get the same results. Hockey fans who aren't participating at the G & M level may not be accounted for.

I'd prefer if the results read "Majority of G & M readers", not Canadians. Because I didn't get to do the survey and most of my hockey loving friends weren't included either. We're ok with fighting. :)

stawns: it is never ok to chop away at someone with a stick like that. And review the stills I've posted. What did I expect him to do? Not what he did...he had plenty of options, one of which was not poke the bear if he didn't want to pay the piper. The day we ok this kind of stuff is the day that we're in trouble. Fight like a man...or don't. But don't yap off, engage then pull this crap in a move that's " in self defense". Self defense is not getting involved in the first place if the person is someone you're frightened of.

If you give the green light here, it opens those floodgates. Everyone will plead the same defense and stick swinging and chops are never acceptable methods of addressing something. Seriously, as a hockey fan, I'm surprised that you support his cowardly act. I guess Chara'll be watching his back if this is given a free pass...he's a big, scary guy. So is everyone now allowed to hack away at him as a result?

Not sure if anyone's brought this up, but a survey done by the Globe and Mail may not represent actual hockey fans or be a good indicator of all Canadians. 8500 people have voted in a survey about a game that millions in Canada watch...I don't know that they've got enough numbers here to support this declaration. They've polled their readers, but they do not represent "all Canadians". Yes, in their cross section of their readers, most voted in favour of the ban but overall, in Canada, I'm not sure this would get the same results. Hockey fans who aren't participating at the G & M level may not be accounted for.

I'd prefer if the results read "Majority of G & M readers", not Canadians. Because I didn't get to do the survey and most of my hockey loving friends weren't included either. We're ok with fighting. :)

stawns: it is never ok to chop away at someone with a stick like that. And review the stills I've posted. What did I expect him to do? Not what he did...he had plenty of options, one of which was not poke the bear if he didn't want to pay the piper. The day we ok this kind of stuff is the day that we're in trouble. Fight like a man...or don't. But don't yap off, engage then pull this crap in a move that's " in self defense". Self defense is not getting involved in the first place if the person is someone you're frightened of.

If you give the green light here, it opens those floodgates. Everyone will plead the same defense and stick swinging and chops are never acceptable methods of addressing something. Seriously, as a hockey fan, I'm surprised that you support his cowardly act. I guess Chara'll be watching his back if this is given a free pass...he's a big, scary guy. So is everyone now allowed to hack away at him as a result?

Imagine seeing two soccer, basketball, football, rugby, or baseball players fighting. It just does not make sense.

Hockey is a sport which requires skill, speed, finesse, and aggression. Fighting does not belong in any sport, IMO.

I don't buy the argument "if you take away fighting, other cheap shots will increase".....well, where are all the cheap shots in football and basketball?

Better reffing might eliminate those cheap shots.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I love a good old fashioned fight. I wish players could just go pound another player instead of having to resort to all this cheap shot nonsense. It's much better to just get your anger out in a fight, than having to use cheap tactics to gain revenge.

Overall I don't think fighting is bad for the sport, or wrong. When fighting is between two consenting and equally sized and skilled players I don't really see why its any different than any other competition. There is nothing wrong with boxing or UFC either. The most important part is players that do not want to fight aren't forced too. It's also important that fights where there is a big size discrepancy aren't allowed.

Fighting also adds an element of honesty to the game. Players generally are less inclined to cheap shot star players for fear of having to fight. Also, for the most part fighting in hockey is relatively safe. The refs jump in as soon as anyone falls down and no hitting is done while someone is on the ground. Knock outs are quite rare as well.

I think fighting should stay a part of hockey because of the role it plays on regulating players on ice actions. Its a real part of the game and has a real functioning role.

Americans don't seem to mind "collateral damage",(woman, children, whatever.), in their endless bombing-strategy, spreading of democracy. A little sport-fighting is great for the masses.

A few fighters took their own lives, couple years back- but don't question the status quo.

Watching the Parros incident tonite, feel like fighting is on borrowed time.

Will it take an on-ice fatality to finally bring about change?

I don't mind the occasional fight, its a rough, physical game and occasionally tempers boil over, two guys who have been in each others face all game (or series) snap and decide to settle it. I don't like the staged fights (two goons drop the gloves 3 seconds after the opening face-off) or the guys who have no other purpose (John Scott), nor do I like the battle royals with 8 players. Sometime I long for the old days when two guys drop the gloves and the rest of the players form a circle around them and watch.

You don't like fighting then just look away. I am sick and tired of all the 50yo+ sport casters that keep pushing thier opinions on the public and spin it like the majority of people want a ban. Parros went to Princeton, he is probably smarter then any sport reporter, so he knows what the risks are. Another comment seems to be ' Oh there no place for these plugs.' Well these plugs are still better at hockey than you and me. I swear some people act like they would be in the NHL if it weren't for a goon taking up thier spot.

Archived