The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kellan Lain Talk

Joel Heyman

I was impressed that his parents are teachers and he took some college courses early so he could graduate in 3 years (this year). He certainly has the physical tools to be an NHL player, but maybe his ability to think and learn the game will give him a better chance at moving past the 4th line.

Is this from his scouting report?

He seems to have dressed up the majority of the games after he has been signed by the Canucks unlike the other prospects we have in the AHL... I think this is a positive sign.

Anyone saw the games can comment on his play?

Is this from his scouting report?

It hasn't been directly said that he's a cerebral player, but he is a smart guy so I'd think he has at least somewhat of an analytical approach to his game. The part about his parents and him taking classes in advance is true and from his bio.

Anyone hear of how he is doing?

He seems to have dressed up the majority of the games after he has been signed by the Canucks unlike the other prospects we have in the AHL... I think this is a positive sign.

Haven't been able to see games, but listened on the radio a few times and he's been physical (had a big hit on Komisarek when the Wolves played the Marlies last week) but more importantly has been used in important situations to take faceoffs. He's become a bit of a go to guy in that respect so he's stepped right in and done well defensively.

Hasn't done anything offensively, but there have been a couple games where the line he's been on has generated good chances.

Saw a few games.

He is excellent on faceoffs. Best on the team without a doubt and the best i've seen in our system in years. He gets down really low like Malhotra, good hand-eye and reaction time as he wins many faceoffs cleanly back.

The next thing that will stand out to you is his skating ability, not only for his size, but he is a good skater in general. When you see him move around the ice, you wouldn't know he was 6'6". Good acceleration, transitions, and speed.

He's still working it out positionally, but i think we knew there would be some adjustment here. But he is still getting very regular shifts with the lack of centers available. Not much offense as expected.

Saw a few games.

He is excellent on faceoffs. Best on the team without a doubt and the best i've seen in our system in years. He gets down really low like Malhotra, good hand-eye and reaction time as he wins many faceoffs cleanly back.

The next thing that will stand out to you is his skating ability, not only for his size, but he is a good skater in general. When you see him move around the ice, you wouldn't know he was 6'6". Good acceleration, transitions, and speed.

He's still working it out positionally, but i think we knew there would be some adjustment here. But he is still getting very regular shifts with the lack of centers available. Not much offense as expected.

This. If he could pack on about 10-15 lbs without losing a step in speed he could become a very dangerous checker. His feet move ridiculously fast for the length of his legs and if he could get that momentum put into a check with weight behind it he'd wreck people.

I've seen him play a couple of times now live at Wolves games...he for sure needs to put some weight on and he could be a force then. His checking hasn't been all that great.

What seems to be his problem?

Is it positional? Strength? Compete level? Reaction time?

If Canucks wanted a guy who's good at faceoffs but useless everywhere else, why didn't they go after David Steckel.

Who says he's useless everywhere else? Or more importantly, that he'll continue to be useless everywhere else? Or even more importantly, does it matter when he's a free prospect playing with our AHL affiliate?

Who says he's useless everywhere else? Or more importantly, that he'll continue to be useless everywhere else? Or even more importantly, does it matter when he's a free prospect playing with our AHL affiliate?

Can't ask for a better 4th line centre than a 6'6 guy who can win faceoofs and destroy anyone that wants to get into the 'Nucks zone. Plus, he's free.

FACEOFFS!FACEOFFS!?ARE WE TALKING ABOUT FACEOFFS!?

:bigblush:

Yes. The Canucks play a puck possession game, here's the catch if the other team starts every stoppage with them having it the Canucks are left to run around until the next face off. When we had Malhotra it was the other way around in our end. AV likely more so than any coach sens out lines based on where the face off is rather than matching lines. Yep it's face -offs we're talking one of the most important factors in the Vcr game. It's an area MG failed to address at the deadline...

healthy scratch last game? what happened

I'd assume with the K-Wings done their season (bringing back Freisen and Mallet) and Schroeder sent back to the Wolves, they now have plenty of center depth (after being woefully short just prior to that) and they need to rotate everyone in.

Archived