The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report]Andrej Sustr decides to leave school for NHL

Those players were demoted because they weren't playing well enough. It's called professional sports. The better you play, the more ice time you get. The worst you play, your ice time will be cut. That's what happened to Kassian and Schroeder. not sure why you think it's AV's fault for cutting their ice time down.

One, he is more than just tall. He is a really good skater, his lateral movement is quite good for a big guy too. Two, he is closer to 220 than 200. Official team weight was 218. Three, he plays smart, think Willie Mitchell stick but an even longer reach.

I'm not worried about his weight as almost every player who comes into the NHL or Hal puts weight on when they are given a proper diet and workout. His skating is already there, so is his shot. He only needs to learn the system and get a little meaner and he will be a pretty good pick up in my opinion.

No it's age discrimination. Edler has played like crap all season and was never scratched or taken off the pp. Raymond played like crap all of last year and yet still played on the 2nd line. AV has this prejudice notion that older players have to play more than younger players even though they may not deserve it. It's bs and it has to stop.

Cory Pronman just released a writeup on Sustr:

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=339

Andrej Sustr, Defense, Unsigned (Nebraska-Omaha):

Sustr is a very toolsy prospect with significant upside although with some risk as well. He remains unsigned as of this writing, but per TSN’s Bob McKenzie he will leave school and sign with an NHL team. The 22 year old Junior was on the third All-WCHA team this season, notching 25 points in 39 games, putting him top 20 in NCAA scoring for defensemen. His skating is average, but notably above-average for a 6′8′’ defenseman. His mobility has seen significant advancements in the last 12-24 months. He’s a good puck-mover too, showing nice touch with the puck and the offensive instincts to make unusual offensive plays for a player his size. For Nebraska-Omaha on the man advantage I’ve seen him be used in front of the net as a screen or a primary quarterback up high. This combo of traits make Sustr a very desirable asset with the potential to be a #3 if not a #2 defenseman. He is not a player without warts though, for one even though he’s a huge player with a good wingspan, he isn’t all that physical. His decisions in both ends, while not a major issue, could use some work as he can make the odd bad turnover or be off with his positioning.

Can't see the Canucks landing him. There are a lot of teams in desperate need to help on the backend, the Vancouver would be a tough sell to him. If I were him (WHICH I AM!!!!!), I would honestly choose either Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay. They need defense badly, and after a year or so in the AHL, he would pad his stats playing with the either of them, which in turn would set him up better financially than if he were to play for Vancouver.

Can't see the Canucks landing him. There are a lot of teams in desperate need to help on the backend, the Vancouver would be a tough sell to him. If I were him (WHICH I AM!!!!!), I would honestly choose either Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay. They need defense badly, and after a year or so in the AHL, he would pad his stats playing with the either of them, which in turn would set him up better financially than if he were to play for Vancouver.

Archived