107 replies to this topic

#31 Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Chronic.Canucks.Fan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:08 AM

Easily the hardest working canuck. I remember posting before the lockout saying something along the lines of hansen would score 30 goals this year. Obviously not now with the shortened season but I think 15 isn't too far out of reach with the remaining 20 games and the way he's been playing.

I'll edit when I find the post on my computer later :P

#32 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

Wow I can't believe the positive response to this thread. If Hansen is a 2nd liner on this team I'll quit watching the Canucks....... speechless
Posted Image

#33 CHodgson9

CHodgson9

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

POPULAR

Wow I can't believe the positive response to this thread. If Hansen is a 2nd liner on this team I'll quit watching the Canucks....... speechless

Don't hurt yourself falling off the bandwagon.
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Ghandi

#34 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

Only in the absence of Kesler and Booth...!

#35 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

This is a true fan...

#36 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

He saw much money Burrows got after Burrows took his pay cut (like Hansen did too) and so now he's playing for his $4.5m
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#37 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:23 AM

Guy jumps on Kassian's D so hard he changes his name to Z. Kassian. Then proceeds to take shots at the player who is pretty much taking Kassian's ice time on the RW right now.

awesome
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#38 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:25 AM

I like to refer to Hansen as a universal forward. He can work on any of the forward lines and be effective.

#39 Mrock-763

Mrock-763

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:36 AM

Can't wait for Jensen to get called up, then we would have two Great Danes!!!

Edited by Mrock-763, 20 March 2013 - 12:44 AM.

Posted Image
Props to Olias for providing me with this sick sig!

#40 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:44 AM

Ha I'm the band wagoner?? I'm not the one calling for Hansen on the 2nd line after a decent season... He's a perfect 3rd liner, why put him somewhere we all know he can't live up to.
Posted Image

#41 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

I could never stop watching the Canucks.... slight exaggeration on my part. Just scream at my TV every time hands of stone hansen lives up to the nickname on the second line baha
Posted Image

#42 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:51 AM

Just for the record, Hansen has the same points as Gaborik :P

I dunno I'm still not convinced, I mean he's had a steady progression and he has the effort but I feel like he's still a third liner, fringe second.

#43 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,608 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:02 AM

He and Raymond are second liners. Higgins, Booth and Kassian are solid middle-6 players, but Hansen has fought hard to deserve 2nd line minutes, 1st unit PK minutes and 2nd unit PP minutes. Best player besides the Sedins and by a long shot.
Posted Image

#44 Gunner Garrison

Gunner Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:08 AM

Hardwork works when skill doesn't :)

Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.

#45 zamboni

zamboni

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:28 AM

Hands of stone, all i'm saying.

#46 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:09 AM

The Wings were so successful with those depth-guys:Maltby, Draper, Holmstrom, McCarty, et al...

Feel like Gillis is trying to mold our fwd group in a similar fashion. Hansen's a beaut, with commendable work ethic. His play(delayed penalty) late game, a good example of his instincts.

#47 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,471 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:05 AM

POPULAR

It really depends on expectations. Canuck fans tend to be a tad unrealistic in this regard. Last year the average 2nd line RW put up about 45 points. For a full season Hansen is currently on pace for a 50 point season. Currently the average 2nd line RW is at 14 points to Hansens 17 points. Which means he's an above average 2nd line player or an exceptional 3rd line player.

Raymond is in similar territory. The average 2nd line LW this season is 11 points while Raymond is at 15. Meaning he's also above average for 2nd line LW while Higgins with 11 points is average. Where it falls down is 2nd line center where the average is at 18 points. This is where we miss Kesler so much as his production is into 1st line center territory. Instead we have both Schroeder and Lapierre with 6 points in 24 and 29 games respectively. While Kesler had 5 points in only 7 games. A healthy Kesler is the difference between our top 6 being average and being good. We just don't have that third line center that be average or even close to it on the second line.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#48 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:50 AM

Hands of stone, all i'm saying.

Those stone hands have worked pretty well this season, at least in comparison to our other players.

#49 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:53 AM

POPULAR

In addition to Baggins' excellent breakdown of scoring expectations and averages by position (ie: Hansen compared to the average 2nd line RW), I would submit the following (wrote this a couple hours earlier tonight and got pulled away before I could post):

Strictly by the numbers, I suppose you could argue that there are 180 "top-six" forwards in the NHL (30 teams X 2 lines X 3 forwards). Basically, the first 90 highest scoring forwards are "first liners" and the next 90 (#91-180) are "second liners." Last season, the the 180th highest scoring forward in the NHL put up 14 goals, 17 assists, and 32 points (stats reflect #180 in each category as per NHL.com).

Jannik Hansen in 2011-12: 82 GP, 16 goals, 23 assists, 39 points

So, by that standard, Hansen was a 2nd liner last season.

Jannik Hansen in 2012-12: 28 GP, 8 goals, 9 assists, 17 points

This season, Hansen is on pace (over an 82 game season) for 23 goals, 26 assists, and 50 points (rounded down for goals/assists and up for points--thus the addition "fail" of 23+26=50).

Using last seasons scoring stats, the top 90 forwards in the NHL put up 20 or more goals, 29 or more assists, and 51 or more points. By those numbers, Hansen's current projections have him at or close to first line numbers (or certainly top-end 2nd line numbers).

By this season's actual stats, Hansen sits tied (among NHL forwards) for #72 in goals, #109 in assists, and #105 in total points. So, whether you look at a projected 82-game season or just where Hansen sits currently among his peers for this season, his scoring numbers put him at a solid 2nd liner (between #91-180 of NHL forwards) and first line (goals) or near it (assists, points) in the three commonly-used scoring categories.

Of course, it's not just about scoring. The thing is, I find that Jannik Hansen excels at the non-scoring aspects of the game and is probably even more valuable for the things he does that don't show up on the scoresheet. So, if Hansen's scoring stats put make him a high-end 2nd liner and a fringe 1st liner, who are we to question whether or not he's actually become a 2nd line forward in the NHL?

The fact that his progression over the last couple years puts him right on the cusp of becoming a 20 goal scorer in this league speaks volumes. If you look at just how valuable 20 goals are in the NHL, Hansen's place becomes pretty clear (check out: http://crashingthene...0-goal-scorers/) . Last season, only two teams had five guys with 20+ goals. Of the remaining teams in the league, five teams had four, ten had three, eight had two, and five teams had only 1 player with 20 or more goals. If Hansen can maintain his numbers, the argument probably becomes one of whether he's good enough for to be "first line" or "second line."

That all said, I still prefer Hansen as a 3rd liner for this team (he's "elite" at this position, by any NHL team's standards). When the Canucks have the depth to justify placing Hansen in the bottom-six, it means that they have an "elite" forward corps in this league (by virtue of having 6 players ahead of Hansen in scoring potential). Of course, given the current roster situation, it's obvious that Hansen is playing well above the role of a 3rd liner. It'd be pretty difficult to argue against the fact that Hansen is now the #4 forward on the Canucks (until Kesler returns).

#50 SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:55 AM

POPULAR

Those stone hands have worked pretty well this season, at least in comparison to our other players.

Agreed. Must be some extra soft kind of stone.

To the posters who continually trot out the "hands of stone" slur:

I've been following this team long enough to remember that the "hands of stone" nickname puts Hansen in some pretty good company. People used to say the same thing about both Ryan Kesler and Alex Burrows back in the day. Those guys have put up 41 goal and 35 goal seasons, respectively, with their so-called "hands of stone." I can't wait to see what Jannik "Hands of Stone" Hansen will accomplish when he enjoys his "career year" for goals. I sure hope he does it wearing a Canucks uniform.

#51 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:20 AM

Him and Raymond are crazy fast!

#52 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:22 AM

Yes. Most definitely. Higgins too. I think it's nuts that people say we don't have a second line.

Nuts!?

The team hasn't been scoring since before jan 2012. Higgins is not a consistent scorer. Hansen/higgins are not second liners on:

The hawks
The blues
The ducks
The Kings
The wings
The bruins
The penguins

Basically the legit contenders right now.

No disrespect to their consistent effort but we just don't have any better. Consistently threatening second liners should essentially be able to fill the void of a dry first line. If there was no Sedin scoring this year our team would be last place.

As it stands now, when the oppositions best shuts down the Sedins in the playoffs which will happen at times, we don't have the secondary to get ourselves through a series against any of the above mentioned teams.

Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#53 bpoulsen

bpoulsen

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

In addition to Baggins' excellent breakdown of scoring expectations and averages by position (ie: Hansen compared to the average 2nd line RW), I would submit the following (wrote this a couple hours earlier tonight and got pulled away before I could post):

Strictly by the numbers, I suppose you could argue that there are 180 "top-six" forwards in the NHL (30 teams X 2 lines X 3 forwards). Basically, the first 90 highest scoring forwards are "first liners" and the next 90 (#91-180) are "second liners." Last season, the the 180th highest scoring forward in the NHL put up 14 goals, 17 assists, and 32 points (stats reflect #180 in each category as per NHL.com).

Jannik Hansen in 2011-12: 82 GP, 16 goals, 23 assists, 39 points

So, by that standard, Hansen was a 2nd liner last season.

Jannik Hansen in 2012-12: 28 GP, 8 goals, 9 assists, 17 points

This season, Hansen is on pace (over an 82 game season) for 23 goals, 26 assists, and 50 points (rounded down for goals/assists and up for points--thus the addition "fail" of 23+26=50).

Using last seasons scoring stats, the top 90 forwards in the NHL put up 20 or more goals, 29 or more assists, and 51 or more points. By those numbers, Hansen's current projections have him at or close to first line numbers (or certainly top-end 2nd line numbers).

By this season's actual stats, Hansen sits tied (among NHL forwards) for #72 in goals, #109 in assists, and #105 in total points. So, whether you look at a projected 82-game season or just where Hansen sits currently among his peers for this season, his scoring numbers put him at a solid 2nd liner (between #91-180 of NHL forwards) and first line (goals) or near it (assists, points) in the three commonly-used scoring categories.

Of course, it's not just about scoring. The thing is, I find that Jannik Hansen excels at the non-scoring aspects of the game and is probably even more valuable for the things he does that don't show up on the scoresheet. So, if Hansen's scoring stats put make him a high-end 2nd liner and a fringe 1st liner, who are we to question whether or not he's actually become a 2nd line forward in the NHL?

The fact that his progression over the last couple years puts him right on the cusp of becoming a 20 goal scorer in this league speaks volumes. If you look at just how valuable 20 goals are in the NHL, Hansen's place becomes pretty clear (check out: http://crashingthene...0-goal-scorers/) . Last season, only two teams had five guys with 20+ goals. Of the remaining teams in the league, five teams had four, ten had three, eight had two, and five teams had only 1 player with 20 or more goals. If Hansen can maintain his numbers, the argument probably becomes one of whether he's good enough for to be "first line" or "second line."

That all said, I still prefer Hansen as a 3rd liner for this team (he's "elite" at this position, by any NHL team's standards). When the Canucks have the depth to justify placing Hansen in the bottom-six, it means that they have an "elite" forward corps in this league (by virtue of having 6 players ahead of Hansen in scoring potential). Of course, given the current roster situation, it's obvious that Hansen is playing well above the role of a 3rd liner. It'd be pretty difficult to argue against the fact that Hansen is now the #4 forward on the Canucks (until Kesler returns).

That's a great analysis..

Just out of curiosity, are those numbers based on even strength points? Hansen saw next to no time on the PP.. I wonder how it would place him if you take PP goals and assists out of the equation.

#54 bpoulsen

bpoulsen

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

To answer my own question, Hansen was #90 in the league among forwards in Even strength points last season.

#55 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:22 AM

Only on a bad team. So, yeah, sure.

#56 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

Always liked him, but he's not (at least not yet) a second line player. He only appears to be like one right now because we don't have a very good 2nd line right now.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#57 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

Nuts!?

The team hasn't been scoring since before jan 2012. Higgins is not a consistent scorer. Hansen/higgins are not second liners on:

The hawks
The blues
The ducks
The Kings
The wings
The bruins
The penguins

Basically the legit contenders right now.

No disrespect to their consistent effort but we just don't have any better. Consistently threatening second liners should essentially be able to fill the void of a dry first line. If there was no Sedin scoring this year our team would be last place.

As it stands now, when the oppositions best shuts down the Sedins in the playoffs which will happen at times, we don't have the secondary to get ourselves through a series against any of the above mentioned teams.

Just my opinion but I dont see the Red Wings as a legit contender. Not anymore anyways.

#58 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

On a team with real forwards no. Although he's improving all the time.

He's great though.

Edited by Dogbyte, 20 March 2013 - 07:53 AM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#59 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

Yes. Most definitely. Higgins too. I think it's nuts that people say we don't have a second line.

If you want Higgins and Hansen on your second line I must (very) respectfully say you're nuts Mr. nateb123. -_-

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#60 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

If people consider Booth or Raymond to be legit 2nd liners then yes, Hansen is a legit 2nd liner. Aside from the Sedins consistently putting up points for us, Hansen is our best player and doesn't get enough credit. He is the workhorse of this team, the only player that puts in 100% effort night in and night out.

Legit 2nd liner, you bet your caboose he is!

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.