Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nitti999

Mike Gillis. Pros Cons what has he really done?

91 posts in this topic

MG in my mind gets wat too much credit. What has he really done. Re-sign the Sedins and Burrows. They would sign anyhow. Eerhoff deal was good at the time. What else? Trade all our prospects. Sign bad deals? He inheritated his team in my mind. And please don't comment brought to SC final. Like I said the team was inherited. His moves since have shown what we have on the ice now. AHL quality forwards. Time for a change Gillis your done

Can anyone essemble a list.?

MG in my mind gets wat too much credit. What has he really done. Re-sign the Sedins and Burrows. They would sign anyhow. Eerhoff deal was good at the time. What else? Trade all our prospects. Sign bad deals? He inheritated his team in my mind. And please don't comment brought to SC final. Like I said the team was inherited. His moves since have shown what we have on the ice now. AHL quality forwards. Time for a change Gillis your done

Do you mean assemble?

I'm not a big fan of his and agree with some of your points.

The biggest problem with MG is that he is weak at trades. Most GMs hate him for when he was ruthless player agent and wont deal with the guy. MG also promised to improve drafting players but has also failed in that regard.

:picard: that's not even taking into account the bad grammar.

he did the small things...as far as the big ones, probably not.

He built the most skilled team the NHL has seen in about 3 or 4 decades which really should of won a Cup. It didn't, he learned from this mistake (hardly his fault) and is now adapting the Canucks to a team that is more likely to win a Cup in today's NHL - a bigger, stronger, more physical team.

Since being here here's the big moves that turns our small, fragile team into a physical playoff-ready force:

Lost Mitchell but obtained Hamhuis and Ballard.

Lost Ehrhoff and Salo but obtained Garrison, Vandermeer and Barker.

All up our defence has gone from a quite old, fragile one to a defence in it's prime who all play the game hard and battle. This doesn't show in the regular season, but that sort of defence wins cups in the playoffs.

Up front, lost Samuelsson, Grabner and Hodgson.

Obtained Higgins, Lapierre, Booth, Kassian - all powerforwards that complement our skilled guys like the Sedins, Burrows and Raymond quite well. Cup winners have the perfect mix of skill, size and speed and MG has moulded this all-skill team into a much more balanced one akin to those teams that have hoisted the Cup.

I don't think he's hit a homerun with any player transactions, but I've always been impressed that he was able to sign Hart, Art Ross, and Selke winners for well below market value.

$19M/season for Kesler, Sedin, Sedin, and Burrows for the past few years. That's easily about $27M on the market. Gillis did a great job of signing that talented core, giving himself tonnes of room to round out the rest of the team. That's a big reason why this team has been so successful in recent years.

I'm one of the harshest GIllis critics I know but to the poster "gushybear" please do not include the tragic losses of Luc Bourdon and Rick Rypien as "notable net losses" during Gillis' tenure. Mike Gillis is not responsible for these as they were not hockey transactions or losses that he could have prevented.

I absolutely loathe many of the hockey moves Gillis had made over the course of the last five years but one thing I commend him for is creating a first class organization in terms of doing what's right for the players, fans, and community.

Gillis has not only created a mini-dynasty that has strongly contended for the Cup every year for the last handful of seasons, but has developed the Vancouver Canucks into a world-class organization. His tenure in Vancouver coincided with the new facilities, stadium improvements and so much more. The things MG has done for this team goes far beyond what we see on the ice and even off it - he has created a winning reputation in Vancouver similar to that of the Red Wings which is applaudable in itself.

I'm one of the harshest GIllis critics I know but to the poster "gushybear" please do not include the tragic losses of Luc Bourdon and Rick Rypien as "notable net losses" during Gillis' tenure.

Gillis has not only created a mini-dynasty that has strongly contended for the Cup every year for the last handful of seasons, but has developed the Vancouver Canucks into a world-class organization. His tenure in Vancouver coincided with the new facilities, stadium improvements and so much more. The things MG has done for this team goes far beyond what we see on the ice and even off it - he has created a winning reputation in Vancouver similar to that of the Red Wings which is applaudable in itself.

He built the most skilled team the NHL has seen in about 3 or 4 decades...

He built the most skilled team the NHL has seen in about 3 or 4 decades which really should of won a Cup. It didn't,

Did a decade change? I'm not always "up" with the times. It's still 10 years right?

Also Gushy that was a fantastic post. People get all emo on here and start hating on everything they can and pissing and moaning about the people doing a job they have no clue about. It's nice to see cold hard facts presented.

Meanwhile, last night in Buffalo, Erhoff and Hodgson combined for five points. Just sayin'.

Meanwhile, last night in Buffalo, Erhoff and Hodgson combined for five points. Just sayin'.

way too much credit being given to MG for "creating a first class org.'

I think this team has been 1st class for years and he has done a good job in keeping it that way. This is mainly in regards to community outreach and such.

Not a big fan of alot of his player transactions.

Hodgson

Sundin

almost any florida trade.

etc.